Possibly stupid question about sweating

Options
Is sweating while working out a measure of quality? During strength training? I have been doing at home work outs of and my heart rate goes up for a bit, but I never end the workout sweaty, and it makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Replies

• fitmama0914
    Options
    *of was not supposed to be there, but my phone won't let me edit.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Well you can sweat while sitting still in a sauna. And you can be working ridiculously hard outside in cold weather and not sweat. So no.

Sweat is the way your body sheds excess heat. It's your own personal air conditioner. If you aren't hot you don't sweat. If you are hot, you sweat.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    My friend teaches indoor cycle classes and never sweats. I don't know how she does it but the rest of us are sweating like pigs. Sweating is how your body stays cool and that is it.
  • fitmama0914
    Options
    Ok thanks :)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I did a massive swim challenge and asked a similar question except about being in cold water and if that helps to burn more or the same amount of calories regardless of the temperature of the water.

I basically got - sweating and heat make no difference (except perhaps water weight)
  • fitmama0914
    Options
    Hmm, I get mostly flushed too. But a lifetime ago, there was a LOT of cardio, and water, and it was the first time I found out sweat could pour off me.