MFP logs the same Fitbit steps different each day?

moonduck
moonduck Posts: 53 Member
Hi all,

I've noticed that MFP logs the same amount of Fitbit steps differently each day and am wondering why this is?

For example, yesterday I walked 15,208 steps and MFP logged this as 413 calories burned.

Monday - 13,067 steps counted as 331 calories burned
Tuesday 10,109 steps counted it as 412 calories burned.
Wednesday 10,155 steps counted as 315 calories burned.

This doesn't make sense to me as there is such a variation.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,242 MFP Moderator
    This is just a guess, but maybe the variation you're noticing has something to do with how 'vigorous' your steps are. For example, perhaps your Tuesday steps happened rapidly, and on Wednesday it took you a little longer to reach 10,000 steps?
  • misskarihari
    misskarihari Posts: 104 Member
    Maybe it has something to do with where you are walking? I don't know fitbit, but Endomondo also tracks any incline where you are walking. Walking uphill - more calories burned.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    also includes how fast you're walking and some of them the incline - so effort

plus dependent on your settings on MFP for activity there is a basic number of steps you have to do before it registers anything hence the first 2000 or so will be worth 0 or negative adjustment and then it starts counting calories
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    edited November 2014
    I'm not too sure how FitBit calculates calories but it definitely gives me different estimates at times for the same number of steps. For example 5k steps worth of jogging seems to get logged as many more calories burned than 5k steps worth of walking. I am a little suspicious of FitBit's system for estimating calories burned for this reason...
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Fitbit counts flights of stairs, did you go up more stairs on one of the days?
  • Sued0nim
    gle8442 wrote: »
    I'm not too sure how FitBit calculates calories but it definitely gives me different estimates at times for the same number of steps. For example 5k steps worth of jogging seems to get logged as many more calories burned than 5k steps worth of walking. I am a little suspicious of FitBit's system for estimating calories burned for this reason...

Because of the intensity - sounds right to me
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited November 2014
    On your fitbit dashboard there should be a tile that shows the intensity of your steps. If you see more green bars on that graph for Tues than you see on Mon or Wed, then that's likely why fitbit gave MFP more calories for Tues.
    The number of steps you take in a 15 minute window determines your intensity level. Low intensity might be, sitting for 10 minutes and then the other five minutes are just you moving to get up to go the bathroom or something. High intensity is walking at a moderate or higher pace for 15 minutes straight.
  • gle8442
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Yes, but I am talking about jogging for a shortish time versus leisurely walking for more than twice as long! If I put those two activities into MFP, it estimates almost exactly the same amount of calories burned for both. Even if go by total mileage rather than total steps, FitiBit seems to give way more calories on days with I get that mileage through high intensity, short workouts, versus days where I am active at a lower intensity for many hours. I wonder whether FitBit overestimates my stride length and therefore my total mileage when I run but I haven't bothered to change it manually in FitBit since it's just a guideline anyway.
  • Sued0nim

Yes, but I am talking about jogging for a shortish time versus leisurely walking for more than twice as long! If I put those two activities into MFP, it estimates almost exactly the same amount of calories burned for both. Even if go by total mileage rather than total steps, FitiBit seems to give way more calories on days with I get that mileage through high intensity, short workouts, versus days where I am active at a lower intensity for many hours. I wonder whether FitBit overestimates my stride length and therefore my total mileage when I run but I haven't bothered to change it manually in FitBit since it's just a guideline anyway.

Have you heard of HIIT (high intensity interval training) where you hit high peaks of intensity for a short time during your workout and the overall effect is higher burns of calories for a shorter time of workout ...look into it, it's interesting

But more importantly if you follow what your fitbit gives you are you losing weight? I am
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    moonduck wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've noticed that MFP logs the same amount of Fitbit steps differently each day and am wondering why this is?

For example, yesterday I walked 15,208 steps and MFP logged this as 413 calories burned.

Don't eat back these calories.... if your doing the same things you've been doing all your life your body is 100% use to this.

If you want to count the calorie burns from your fitbit only wear it when you go for a walk or a run/ any kind of exercise. Once you've completed the exercise take off the fitbit!

Fitbit was designed to get you more active by counting your steps, it just also counts calories since that is a "thing" right now.
  • moonduck
    moonduck wrote: »
    Hi all,

Don't eat back these calories.... if your doing the same things you've been doing all your life your body is 100% use to this.

If you want to count the calorie burns from your fitbit only wear it when you go for a walk or a run/ any kind of exercise. Once you've completed the exercise take off the fitbit!

Fitbit was designed to get you more active by counting your steps, it just also counts calories since that is a "thing" right now.

Really? So if I'm allotted 1200 calories per day and I walk 15,000 steps which "allows" another 400 calories, i'm still only able to eat 1200 calories vs. 1600?
  • moonduck
    Good points on the "vigourousness" of the walking, all! :) That makes sense. I've also wondered if time of day has anything to do with it as I find if I get the steps earlier in the day, I get more "calories" from it allowed vs. later in the day.
  • gle8442

Have you heard of HIIT (high intensity interval training) where you hit high peaks of intensity for a short time during your workout and the overall effect is higher burns of calories for a shorter time of workout ...look into it, it's interesting

But more importantly if you follow what your fitbit gives you are you losing weight? I am

Ok, but I'm not doing HIIT, so why would FitBit estimate my calories as if I were?

Anyway this isn't a complaint about FitBit at all - it's been great for me and it definitely helps me lose weight! I love it. Whether or not it estimates exercise calories perfectly for every single person doesn't matter, it's just there to give you an idea.