Christian Grey vs Gideon Cross

Options
alehundrah
alehundrah Posts: 156 Member
For those of you that have read the fifty shades of Grey trilogy and the Crossfire novels (bared to you and reflected in you, not sure if 3rd book is out yet) :
So I read the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy and I had a love/hate relationship with Christian Grey. I loved how hes described in the book. He sounds so sexy. I love how he began to change for Anastasia. However, I hated how possessive he was. I hated that he felt he had rights over Ana and how he felt she was obligated to do everything he told her to do. I got introduced to Gideon Cross a couple days ago when I read Bared to you. I'm now reading Reflected in you and I must say he reminds me a lot of Christian Grey but in a less possessive way.
So who do you guys like more, Christian Grey or Gideon Cross. I am Christian Grey's wife however I think i'm slowly starting to like Gideon Cross better. Who knows, soon I might be Mrs. Cross. (lmao)

Replies

• Missyb322
    Missyb322 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the Crossfire novels but didn't care for Christian Grey. Loved the books but am too independent for that type of relationship. He was very giving..which is sweet. But took far more than he gave
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My Husband bought me The 50 shades Trilogy for Christmas,I enjoyed the books but how could anyone cope with a personality like that???? Funny I actually I am Mrs Grey my son is Chris,hope he isint like that with his girlfriend!!!lol
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I hated the 50 shades of Grey books and never understood the obsession with them. He was everything I despise in a man; possessive, controlling, jealous, paranoid, and there was no story to them at all. I know, I know, that's not why people would read them, but I like a story. :laugh:

I did read the Crossfire novels more recently and quite enjoyed them; there is much more of a story, and both he and she are far more likeable characters than Anastasia and Christian Grey. And the ending made me gasp. I think they are pretty underrated in comparison.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Both are horribly written smut with too many errors for my taste. I don't even understand why people liked them so much. I couldn't get through 50 Shades with all the bizarro "inner goddess" talk and un imaginative fodder.

Did nobody else keep thinking of George Tekai when the main girl kept saying "Oh, my...?"
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you ever met a man IRL like CG, you would run far in the other direction. Please stop romanticizing abuse.
  • obeseandsassy
    obeseandsassy Posts: 118
    Options
    If you ever met a man IRL like CG, you would run far in the other direction. Please stop romanticizing abuse.

^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fact that 50 Shades is what so many people think an accurate portrayal of a BDSM relationship is, or a relationship at all, makes me so sad. Yeah, it's poorly written, but so is any trash novel you pick up at the airport. That's the least of my concerns. It's far too popular to be so inaccurate.

Ignoring safewords isn't cool (actually, that's rape). Spying on/stalking your partner is abuse. Using your partner's economic status as leverage is abuse. Making your partner feel guilty is abuse. Basically, everything that goes on in those books is straight up abuse.
  • rml_16
    Options
    What amuses me is the women defending these books think those of us who criticize the boojs are prudes ir sexually repressed. Tge actual sex in these books is quite tame, really. I've read a blig by a woman who loves the books and makes the claim of sexual repression, but she's horrified over the scene where Christian shaves Ana. Give me a break.
  • alehundrah
    alehundrah Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have to say I agree. Christian Grey would be too much for any girl to handle. I think anybody would start resenting a man that was so controlling, wanted to make every decision for them, etc. I never fully hated him because he was changing for Ana however I dont understand how any woman could want to be with a man that wanted to control every aspect of her life.I'm not done with the crossfire series. I'm half way done with the second book and i do like Gideon however he is also controlling and kind of a stalker. He uses his money and power to control Eva. Whenever she goes out, he keeps an eye on her and doesn't let her go places alone. I agree that the crossfire series has a better story line however I do have to say I also enjoyed fifty shades of Grey
  • rml_16
    Options
    Christian Grey is the same character on the last page of the last book as he is on the first page of the first book (or whatever page he comes in on).

Seriously. This is NOT a romance. This man is NOT a good person. There is nothing good about these books. At all. The writing is crap. There is NO PLOT. Every time it looks like something exciting might happen, James resolves the conflict with some stupid, dull scene that means nothing to what little story there is. And every character is extremely unlikable. I don't get it. I seriously, seriously do not get what one thing anyone likes about these books.

And PLEASE don't tell me it's the sex because those books actually made me never want to have sex again.
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    I prefer fanfiction written by fourteen year olds tbh.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hmmm never heard of Crossfire, but... my last name is Cross :)

I have the 50 Shades trilogy, but haven't read them in the year + that I've had them. I probably should so I can at least get my $ worth!
  • Happy2Shop21
    Options
    I've never heard of Gideon Cross. I'll have to look into the character for a possible future read.

As far as Christian Grey is concerned, he was written as an overgrown man-child. I don't care how cute and attractive he's supposed to be, his character irritated me to no end. -__-
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Both are horribly written smut with too many errors for my taste. I don't even understand why people liked them so much. I couldn't get through 50 Shades with all the bizarro "inner goddess" talk and un imaginative fodder.

Did nobody else keep thinking of George Tekai when the main girl kept saying "Oh, my...?"

LOL. OMG. You just made my day.

That "inner goddess" stuff was so weird! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Gahhh omg, I think I would take Gideon Cross (drools). I love the Crossfire series.
    I think if it were reality, Gideon would be more plausible for me than Christian =P
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The following reflects my sentiments on 50 Shades of Grey....

LOL!

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215
  • LMP18
    LMP18 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I love Gideon better than Christian!! New book - Entwined in you to come out next week and I have already pre-ordered it. Gideon Cross all the way!
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Okay, I really love both the 50 shades & the Crossfire series. In fact I just re-read the 2nd Crossfire since the 3rd is coming out next week... yay!! Anyhow, I am more of a Gideon Cross fan myself. In my mind he looks like Nicolas Cadsadine from General Hospital... mmmmm.

That being said, they really are just fiction. I think people get way too worked up over it. It's no different than violent movies or tv shows. If you can't separate a book from real life, you really shouldn't be reading these things or watching tv.

Just my opinion. :wink:
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    My wife's entire review: "George Lucas writes better dialogue. And sex scenes".
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I'm just here to judge.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    My wife's entire review: "George Lucas writes better dialogue. And sex scenes".

Your wife sounds like a smart lady. I agree.