Lost some weight, now potruding belly

Options
Hello Fitnesspal friends,

I have managed to lose about 20lb so far (although I have barely lost anything since summer), but what I found is that as I lost the weight, my belly has popped out!

Prior to the weight loss, I did have fat around my mid-section but because I was fat overall, it was less noticeable. Now that I have lost some weight, I have a potruding belly!

I was wondering if anyone else has found this to be the case.

For info - I still have 20lb to lose before I reach near a normal BMI.

Thanks,

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Before you start looking at fitness tips I urge you to look at your posture. Standing with poor posture/slouched stance can make even the fittest, flattest stomach look like a protruding gut. Generally speaking anyone will have one if their posture isn't decent.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Also if you ave changed your diet to more natural and high fiber foods it could be sustained bloating. Which isnt a bad thing, it just happens. Bloating can make ever six packs look fat
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Before you start looking at fitness tips I urge you to look at your posture. Standing with poor posture/slouched stance can make even the fittest, flattest stomach look like a protruding gut. Generally speaking anyone will have one if their posture isn't decent.

I agree with you. Bad posture can make your stomach bulge out. But my tummy sticks out even when I am standing straight. The only way it goes in is if I pull it in and hold it.
  • rencawdor24
    Options
    Also if you ave changed your diet to more natural and high fiber foods it could be sustained bloating. Which isnt a bad thing, it just happens. Bloating can make ever six packs look fat

It could possibly be bloating, especially as I seem to have a lot of carbs! How would I get rid of bloating if it is that?
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My belly fat was the last to go, so I lost weight at my belt and in my hips but not in my belly. So for a while, my belt got tighter but my belly button stayed where it was, and I looked fatter.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    maybe its weak stomach muscles? that can cause your stomach to stick out as well.sometimes our muscles can weaken when we carry extra weight(especially in that area). I would try to work your core area and strengthen the muscles there.its worth a shot. you cant spot reduce the fat I know but you can strengthen that area and maybe it will help.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Don't let this bother you. Fat leaves your body as fat chooses to do so. In your case (and many cases) it appears that your belly fat is hanging on longer than perhaps your chest and hip areas are losing faster. This is a good indication that you tend to hole weight in the middle which means that you really do need to continue to lose weight to avoid such pitfalls as metabolic syndrome and diabetes. Keep working on it. You are obviously on the right track.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    scottkjar wrote: »
    My belly fat was the last to go, so I lost weight at my belt and in my hips but not in my belly. So for a while, my belt got tighter but my belly button stayed where it was, and I looked fatter.

Happen for me too. Last place I lose weight almost always.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I had a protruding belly when I was fat.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Could it be that you lost a lot above your belly (midriff) and therefore your belly looks larger by comparison?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    so I tend not to talk about this because people just think I'm crazy, and I like to think I have a pretty good grasp on all this losing stuff...but, my stomach sometimes looks insane. I think it's just because I'm smaller now, that when I do bloat or eat too much, it's a lot more noticeable. Is your tummy changing look day to day or does it always look big?

Honestly sometimes I look in the mirror and am shocked, it's sticking out like I'm pregnant.
  • MamaP47
    MamaP47 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    ^^ me too! The belly is the last to go!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Rencawdor a picture would be helpful.
  • rencawdor24
    Options
    Rencawdor a picture would be helpful.

I think I'd be too embarassed to take a picture of my tummy, it's not a pretty sight!
  • rencawdor24
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    so I tend not to talk about this because people just think I'm crazy, and I like to think I have a pretty good grasp on all this losing stuff...but, my stomach sometimes looks insane. I think it's just because I'm smaller now, that when I do bloat or eat too much, it's a lot more noticeable. Is your tummy changing look day to day or does it always look big?

Honestly sometimes I look in the mirror and am shocked, it's sticking out like I'm pregnant.

My tummy looks like I'm pregnant sometimes too. I agree, I think as you get smaller, sometimes the stomach sticks out more. That is how it is for me now. And when I've had a big meal, then it bulges out even more!
  • rencawdor24
    Options
    Good to hear from others about belly being last to go.... means I just have to keep doing what I am. Thanks all for your help.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Stomach is definitely last to go for me too. Since the fat comes off unevenly around the body, it can make your stomach appear to stick out more when it actually is the same as (or maybe smaller than) before weight loss. Pulling it in and holding it, as you wrote, is actually good IMO because it helps train you to stand up nice and straight. If you keep doing it, you will find that it gets easier to do without thinking (becomes the norm rather than slouching.)
  • KHalseth
    KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Add planks into your workout. If nothing else, it will firm up and tighten those muscles so that it looks better and as you try to lose those last fat deposits, it will help the area look good while strengthening your core.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If only we lost fat evenly! Just keep working on losing the pounds. You can work on posture and tightening core muscles (always a good thing regardless) but if it's belly fat I doubt that those will help drastically. Losing more weight will. I personally have barely lost around my hips and thighs. After 40 pounds I finally dropped a solid pant size. I'm enjoying my new "hour glass" shape, but it may not be around forever - whatever my "healthy" shape is, is what I will enjoy most!

Good luck :)
  • rencawdor24
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Stomach is definitely last to go for me too. Since the fat comes off unevenly around the body, it can make your stomach appear to stick out more when it actually is the same as (or maybe smaller than) before weight loss. Pulling it in and holding it, as you wrote, is actually good IMO because it helps train you to stand up nice and straight. If you keep doing it, you will find that it gets easier to do without thinking (becomes the norm rather than slouching.)

I agree with you about stomach appearing to stick out more even though it might not actually be bigger.
    By the way, what is IMO?