Comments on food

Options
So I was just wondering if anybody else finds that whenever somebody comments about their food they get put off eating.

There is one lady at work who hates porridge and she goes on about it all the time. I often have porridge for breakfast and this morning she walked into the lunch room as I was making it and commented that it smelled yuck and looked gross. It completely put me off and I found I couldn't eat it.

Anybody else find this or is it just me being sensitive?

Replies

• nmatthi
    nmatthi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That never happens to me, but I eat lots of foods that would be considered weird and I have gotten comments like that for ever so I might be used to it. I actually find it funny and enjoy it even more sometimes. But I can see why it could affect you
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Times like those you need a snappy come back!
  • WildOkapi
    Options
    I've only ever had people say 'That's all you're going to eat?' or 'Look at you, being so good' when I refuse to eat sugary/fatty foods. I don't see the problem with someone commenting on your food - if you like it, eat it!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me... at first it bugs me. But you know what? It's MY food. I'M the one who's going to enjoy it. It's not like I'm even offering them any. So you know what I end up ignoring it. If I'm really annoyed of their constant stupid comments or I'm in a bad mood, I'll annoy them back by loudly saying MMMMM!!! with every bite. :laugh: That shuts them up. Enjoy your food. :flowerforyou:
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    paperalien wrote: »
    So I was just wondering if anybody else finds that whenever somebody comments about their food they get put off eating.

There is one lady at work who hates porridge and she goes on about it all the time. I often have porridge for breakfast and this morning she walked into the lunch room as I was making it and commented that it smelled yuck and looked gross. It completely put me off and I found I couldn't eat it.

I kind of know what you mean... I used to love strawberry pocky (cookie sticks). Then my sister mentioned that they have a lot of fat. I was like "Oh really?" so I read the label (note, this was before I cared about nutrition at all) and I saw it had something like 33% of my daily fat intake in one little stick. After that, every time I ate them, all I could feel was the fat (I know it was in my head). I ended up throwing them out and can't stand them even to this day. My sister didn't even mean it in a bad way, it was just a one time random comment.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I don't mind people commenting if something is super healthy or if they don't like it. I really hate it if they start making snide remarks about me eating a treat though.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    "Good thing you're not the one eating it! Please let me to enjoy my breakfast in peace."

Done and done.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    WildOkapi wrote: »
    I've only ever had people say 'That's all you're going to eat?' or 'Look at you, being so good' when I refuse to eat sugary/fatty foods. I don't see the problem with someone commenting on your food - if you like it, eat it!

This for me too. i don't think any comments will ever put me off my food lol
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It did when I was a kid/teenager. If it wasn't a comment about what I ate, it was how I was eating it, hence my disordered eating. As an adult, if someone says (imo) bad things about my food, I tell them to eff off. If it's food they think is disgusting/will make them puke, I get really in their face when I eat. Yes, I'm a B.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'd be responding with "Lucky it's not your breakfast, then" or something similar. Just just rude.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are insecure and feel the need to disparage anything which does not fit into their eency-weency world in order to reinforce their feeling of self-worth. I feel pity for such people. Every time she comments, she is actually telling you that, deep down, she knows that you are her better.

Eat your porridge, enjoy it, flaunt it - it's good for your cholesterol, fibre, is tasty, low GI and is YOUR choice.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    RinnyLush wrote: »
    "Good thing you're not the one eating it! Please let me to enjoy my breakfast in peace."

Done and done.

This! Or there's the good old standby, "More for me."

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Lady? as in an adult?? A suitable answer would be "that's rude".

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

It's you being sensitive.

• malibutigger
    malibutigger Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    tell her she smells yuk and looks gross?
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    "good thing i wasn't going to give you any"
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    tell her she smells yuk and looks gross?

Only if the OP wants to find herself possibly unemployed.

• meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    raysputin wrote: »
    A lot of people are insecure and feel the need to disparage anything which does not fit into their eency-weency world in order to reinforce their feeling of self-worth. quote]

I've always wondered how best to spell "eency weency". You have saved me from the struggle of wondering how to communicate non-websters vocab in the written word. I thank you.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    "more for me".
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

I work in a hospital. I've had a med student comment on my meal. Condescending *kitten* about how healthy it was and good for me for trying to do something about my weight. I was eating veggies dipped in hummus that day.

I told him I was very sorry that his mother never taught him good manners, but worse than that, I was going to report his stupid *kitten* one of his professors if I caught him giving unqualified and unsolicited nutritional advice again, what with him not yet wearing the long coat and all.

I do not permit liberties...