Is a fitbit worth it?

Options
With a big sales day being tomorrow, I wanted to get some opinions on whether a fitbit is worth getting to help with weight loss.

Replies

• SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    For weightloss the best is a calorie deficit, for fitness the fitbit One was the beginning of my fitness journey. It is for me a great motivational tool and let me finally to buying a multisportswatch without which I could not live anymore.

I started my weightloss journey a year ago and at the beginning I was only concerned with changing some dietary habits and with eating at a calorie deficit.

With the fitbit One I started to get a bit more concerned with moving more, getting my 10k steps in. I started to go for extensive walks which did me very well.

Overall I can highly recommend the Fitbits, but beware they are coming out with new models and depending on your needs yu can "outgrow" a fitbit rather quickly. There are now new multisportswatches out there for around $200 that not only track your steps but can be combined with heart rate monitors for running... The Polar M400 is one of those models I would have a closer look at.

Re the fitbits: I bought the One after having had to return my Force due to rask risk. I now prefer much more the non wrist models as I wear my sports watch regularly.

Best of luck with your decision
    Stef.
    P.S. If you search this forum there are quite a few threads re fitbits and other activity trackers that might help you decide.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've had my fitbit for close to a year now and I can't live without it. It has made a world of difference in my daily activity levels and keeps me motivated to up my activity and top the leaderboard each week. I LOVE my fitbit!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    The next generation of trackers is about to come out with more functionality like GPS and constant heart rate monitoring. The old school Fitbits, Jawbones, Polars and such are about to be dirt cheap. I've already seen the price drop on Jawbone Up and Up24 significantly.

The new Fitbits hit the market either in December or very early in 2015 (definitely within the next couple of months) so if you can wait, you'll either save significantly on a first gen tracker, or you'll pay slightly more than the current prices and get a way better tracker.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd mention also, if you just want to try one out, THIS looks very promising. $12 for a yearly membership to the app, and the tracker itself is free. It looks very much like a Fitbit Flex.
  • jnc777
    jnc777 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit - makes me accountable and has upped my steps considerably. I was a 2500 a day and now typically do 10000. Its made a lot of difference to me, its easy to start and I agree with the SKME2013 that if you aren't very active now then its a good motivator :)
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd mention also, if you just want to try one out, THIS looks very promising. $12 for a yearly membership to the app, and the tracker itself is free. It looks very much like a Fitbit Flex.

Holy crap...pre-ordering one of these now.
  • HairMaiden
    HairMaiden Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I found when I got the fitbit that I was seriously overestimating my calories burnt each day, I thought going to the gym for an hour would counteract sitting around the rest of the day. It reminds you about reality and to be mindful of how active you are at all times.
  • sgfoster110
    sgfoster110 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit sound like a good choice. I don't have one but keep active riding bike, walking, running and upper body exercises. It feels great to be in shape. I believe a Fitbit would definately help.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you like gadgets or feel that a reminder to exercise will benefit you, get one!

I can't think of a single reason that it would do me any good, so I'm not getting one. The things I want (a record of how far I went, how long it took) I get for free with Map My Fitness and it synchs with MFP. It counts my steps, but I don't care about that. It draws lines on a map to show me where I went, which I really do like, lol. :)