How do you know when you're finally "skinny"?

Options
I know I've lost just over 40lbs in the past several years, but every day I still look down and see my belly, and to me, it still looks exactly the same as it did when I looked down 40+lbs ago... I know my stomach is at least 4" smaller now in measurements, but still, to me I still look exactly the same.

How do you get past this? How do you know or realize when you're finally "skinny"? Not saying I am skinny - I still have a long ways to go, but still...

Replies

• teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I did not know I was skinny by what the scale said. I want a lower number. It was when I had seen the clothes I fit. When my belt did not keep my pants up anymore I had to buy new pants or a new belt. I went to the store and found out I had dropped to a size 3 in jeans, also I have dropped from a medium in shirts to a size XS. I would suggest going to a store, looking at clothes you would consider only a skinny person could wear and then try those clothes on. If you can fit them then that may help you consider yourself skinny.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be fit than skinny. I aimed for a specific BF%, and when I hit it I was satisfied.
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    From my miserable experience, there's no such thing as "finally". I don't mean that one need to infintely loose weight, but you always have to work on yourself. Although I don't think I ever felt skinny, even when I was.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Before I started, when i looked down in the shower...I couldn't see my feet..belly in the way. After I lost all my weight, I looked down and could see my ankles. That is when I knew I was skinny..enough...so I started hitting the weights.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    BMI?
  • ebbtime
    ebbtime Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Although, I've only lost about 17lbs, I fit in a smaller size pants. But, tonight being Thanksgiving, my family took pics & I feel like I look exactly the same. Other people can see it & they tell me they can see it in my face & backside. But, I just can't see it. I was actually thinking about this before I read your post & wondered if I would ever"feel skinny". Or would I get to my goal weight & think it's still not good enough. I hope I get to a healthy weight & feel good about myself. At 5'5" I'd like to be 130lbs. I have 40 lbs to go. I'm eager to hear other peoples answers to your question. Good luck! Friend me if you'd like to!
  • NoMeat101
    Options
    I too would rather be "fit" than skinny - but I just meant in general to not feeling huge/fat anymore.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I know my clothes got much looser, I know occasionally I'll have a "feeling smaller" moment, but when I look at myself, I see the exact same.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I still don't consider myself skinny. I fit in the smallest women's size available, (6) and feel foolish in teenage sizes. Hubby tells me I look great, but I worry. Then he reminds me of my age. (You aren't teen age anymore) I think I need to diet away my age. Are we ever perfect? Even the perfect people aren't perfect without airbrushing.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Sadly "skinny" is an undefined term. I'd suggest you stop "looking down", and get a full length mirror. When I "look down" in the shower, I get depressed. When I look sideways at a mirror, I don't.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    i think you should make a list of all the improvements that have occurred during your weight loss journey. I have lost 40 pounds as well and can definitely list at least a dozen improvements that have occurred along with the drop on the scale.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'll know when I get there. :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Are you working out? Working on body composition? It's possible to lose weight and just looks like a smaller version of your overweight body because your body fat is too high.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    acogg wrote: »
    I still don't consider myself skinny. I fit in the smallest women's size available, (6) and feel foolish in teenage sizes. Hubby tells me I look great, but I worry. Then he reminds me of my age. (You aren't teen age anymore) I think I need to diet away my age. Are we ever perfect? Even the perfect people aren't perfect without airbrushing.

Where is sz 6 the smallest available?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    When you spot a skinny b**ch wearing the same t shirt as you in the Zumba toning class then realise it is you in the mirror. Hahahaha that is true- I was stunned.
    I know I am the right size when my elbows fit nicely at my side without bumping into a roll of fat.
    Cheers, h.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm now wearing Slim fit clothes which to me is a huge sign i'm nearly there. Okay they are XL ones but i'm L in normal shirts and the Slim fit one fit my shape better.

Still dont think I'm skinny but i'm not fat IMO
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    acogg wrote: »

Where is sz 6 the smallest available?

A lot of UK shops don't have smaller than a 6 (US size 2).

I'll consider myself slim when I feel confident wearing a bikini!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I still don't consider myself skinny. Don't think I ever will though because of the loose skin.
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I still don't consider myself skinny. Don't think I ever will though because of the loose skin.

I hear ya :\

• JonathanLepoff
    JonathanLepoff Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    get a photo of yourself
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    when i look good in my clothes, when i have more energy and can "play" longer and when i physically feel strong! FIT not SKINNY! I am 5'6 and about 130 now...some would call me skinny...i don't consider myself FIT though!~ work in process~~