Thanksgiving Day - How many Calories?

Options

Replies

• FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I decided not to celebrate yesterday because my husband had to work and I went out for black Thursday (Friday) shopping but my food is cooking right now and I have allotted myself how much I'll have (view my diary if you want) but I'm hoping somewhere between 1600-2000 it depends on if I go back for another serving of yummy casserole :D

side note, my turkey is roasting in the oven and I'm about to chew my hand off :laugh:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lmarshel wrote: »
    Sailatsorf wrote: »
    I eat like a bird, so 2000 is a ton for me.

I love this expression! Birds have very high metabolism, so they may eat up to their own body weight in food daily. I doubt any of us "eat like a bird". LOL

My estimate for yesterday was just over 3800...much less than I thought it would be.
    Many years ago I knew a person who is a biologist who studies birds. She also was able to destroy any carb loaded item in front of her, and she's always svelte. I told her once she eats like a bird after eating two plates of pasta and a sandwich, and her response was, "I try."
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    2025 and I felt sick afterward. Did go on the annul Thanksgiving Day walk but it was much shorter then usual. The fam and dog were cold - lol.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My guessing put me at just under 3000, but I wouldn't be surprised if I ate more like 4000-4500.

It was good and well today is just back to normal. My husband already ate most of our leftovers last night while he was drunk, so I don't even have to worry about those.
  • WildOkapi
    WildOkapi Posts: 81
    edited November 2014
    Options
    klbrowser wrote: »
    Not so sad. I find it's easier to stay on track if I don't stuff myself on special occasions. Plus the turkey was really delicious.
    Agreed! I don't understand why people 'pity' those who decide to stay within their calorie goals on holidays - I thought that was the whole point of weight-loss: To make a lifestyle change and stick to it. Personally, I find it easier to go over my calorie goal by a couple hundred calories once in a while rather than gorge 2000+ extra calories on a single day. Eating 1200-1400 calories is a pain as is. Live and let live, folks.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    the-meal-is-not-over-until-I-hate-myself-funny.jpg

WAY too many
    :# hahaha!

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    WildOkapi wrote: »
    Not so sad. I find it's easier to stay on track if I don't stuff myself on special occasions. Plus the turkey was really delicious.
    Agreed! I don't understand why people 'pity' those who decide to stay within their calorie goals - I thought that was the whole point of weight-loss: To make a lifestyle change and stick to it. I find it easier to go over my calorie goal by a couple hundred calories once in a while rather than gorge 2000+ extra calories on a single day. The thought alone makes me cringe.

No the sad part is the .. I didn't eat any sugar items, bringing your own fake butter, fat free gravy, etc. instead of knowing that no food has to be off limits unless you have a medical condition, and not having every decision you make revolve around your weight or calories.

I ate over 6500 calories, and could have easily eaten more than that, because there was all real butter used, sugar, lard in my pie crusts, no fat free anything. Oh and lots to drink.
  • WildOkapi
    Options
    About the normal amount for the day, just under 1500 calories even though I did not exercise. I had turkey breast, mashed potatoes, corn, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. No dessert, gravy, sauces, or anything containing sugar. I was the only one at the table who wasn't complaining of feeling excessively full. Just because it's a holiday doesn't mean I have to undo the progress I've made so far. I was just happy I didn't have to cook. :)
    You know what - congrats to you for deciding how you were going to eat your Thanksgiving dinner, even if other people are bothered by it for some reason. It's not 'sad' in the slightest.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I don't understand why people 'pity' those who decide to stay within their calorie goals on holidays - I thought that was the whole point of weight-loss: To make a lifestyle change and stick to it. Personally, I find it easier to go over my calorie goal by a couple hundred calories once in a while rather than gorge 2000+ extra calories on a single day. Eating 1200-1400 calories is a pain as is. Live and let live, folks.

giphy.gif
  • shadow2soul
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I thought that was the whole point of weight-loss: To make a lifestyle change and stick to it.

So wait, I'm not allowed to make a 4000 calorie Thanksgiving day fit into my lifestyle change?? That makes me one sad panda. :sad:

sad_panda_by_allymoodyneko-d49gduw.jpg
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    I thought that was the whole point of weight-loss: To make a lifestyle change and stick to it.

So wait, I'm not allowed to make a 4000 calorie Thanksgiving day fit into my lifestyle change?? That makes me one sad panda. :sad:

Nope 4000 is for the day after get it right :)
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    1280 cals
  • dbmata
    Options
    I pity the fool!

Cut that jibba jabba!
  • shadow2soul
    edited November 2014
    Options

I'll have to try harder next year. :laugh:
  • WildOkapi
    Options
    That's not at all what I said. But if someone chooses to stick to their change - holiday or no - their action shouldn't be called 'sad' or anything else. But, opinions are like a-holes: Everyone has one, and they stink.
  • dbmata
    Options

Ah yes, the Plan B eating plan.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    agree

• shadow2soul
    edited November 2014
    Options
    That's not at all what I said. But if someone chooses to stick to their change - holiday or no - their action shouldn't be called 'sad' or anything else. But, opinions are like a-holes: Everyone has one, and they stink.

Your exact words were

Which does imply that those of us who didn't adhere to our weight loss calories aren't sticking to our lifestyle change.

I personally don't care if you choose to eat at 1200/1500/or whatever arbitrary number of calories for holidays.

I think those who commented about the "sad" stuff earlier, where talking about the fact that people were avoiding desserts/breads/and any other number of things. My opinion though, is that if you can do it and not feel deprived, then more power to ya. It's not something I would be able to do and stick with long term (tried it before. basically was a crash and burn after about 7-8 months for me).

edit: spelling....ugh....I hate my spelling
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Why I find some of this very sad, is because at one time I thought the same way. I can care less what you choose to deprive yourself of or how you restrict yourselves. But, it's sad because at one time I did think I had to deprive myself of desserts, thought omg if I eat this piece of pie and go over my calories I'm going to gain everything back. I was miserable and craved everything, thought weight loss was difficult.

Luckily I learned pretty early on this time around that isn't how it works. I worked on my relationship with food. I know overeating on a holiday, on vacation or whatever will not stop my progress or reverse everything I've accomplished. Was there a bump in the scale of course, will it be gone in a couple days yep it will might even take a week, but looking at the big picture that's nothing. Now weight loss is pretty damn easy
  • Mine = 2500 because I got the munchies at 10:00pm