About me - the lazy, overeating, beer loving me

So I've come to a conclusion as to why I am in the place I am right now. A lot of terrible advice (usually found on the internet), overeating one massive meal for lunch and again for dinner (and feeling absolutely horrible), using beer to calm my nerves and settle my stress, choosing said beer over going to the gym, and finally, last but not least....having absolutely zero confidence in myself or the ability to stand up for myself.

Overeating started with me at a very young age. I got a guilt trip from a grade school teacher after I tossed out half of my tomato juice. I was told my parents work very hard to afford food for my lunch, and I should never waste. Naturally I took this to heart and ate everything in my site. I struggled with this for awhile, finally got past it, and then in the past 6 months or so found it creeping back (usually due to stress). Tack on every excuse under the sun as to why I simply cannot make it to the gym, and you have me - 10 lb heavier, exhausted, poor sleeping patterns, and even poorer eating habits.

If anyone has any advice for me, please feel free to share. My goal for the time being is to start by eating slower and recognizing when I am truly full. I shouldn't use the stress of my job or life to give me permission to stuff as much food in my mouth as I can. I realize the need for more vegetables in my diet, more fiber.

As far as exercise goes, I'm still not 100% sure what type of program I want to follow. I've been toying with the idea of Beachbody programs. In the meantime, I'm making a point to hit the gym for at least 45 minutes just do to something - even if it really isn't organized right now.

I'm convinced that I don't have to give up the things I love (like beer), but I do need to put a bit of moderation in there.

Anyways, small steps in the right direction (I hope).

Replies

• trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Hi, my advice would be set a sensible deficit, you don't have much to lose so 0.5 lbs per week would be a good target to aim for. Make sure you log everything accurately, this means weighing / measuring EVERYTHING - get a food scale if you don't already have one.

Good luck :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Two golden rules, dont demonise food an dont beat up on yourself.
    I see from your ticker you have only 11lb to lose, which can be done sustainably, sensibly and in a straight forward way by being at a dficit as most people will tell you. You can get all that advice from others and its in the stickies.

As suggested above .5lb per week would be fine thats 250 calories a day less. Thats a candy bar, which is very little. Time and again the biggest weakness of people who dont lose what they expect is inaccurate logging, so get yourself a kitchen scale and weigh everything so you dont eat more than you think.

You dont have to give up anything, just moderate and eat a little less. If you exercise then you can eat /drink more if you wish, but the measuring and logging are essential.
    Keep the deficit consistent and you will lose weight over time.

Please dont worry or get upset, your journey only needs to be a small one and it can be much easier if you get smart and learn how to do it effectively, learn to be patient and do what you need to every week.

If 11lb is the target i'd estimate a ball park figure in a range of 15-25 weeks depending how you do it. Dont approach it like many young people and burn out, binge out, have unrealistic expectations or start having ridiculous and unsfae low calorie counts. Get soem MFP friends and run your plan past them or the forums so you know its a good plan.

• Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    edited November 2014
    I finally had to get a personal trainer/nutrition coach. I found the typical fitness club group classes were too intense for me (I'm age 54) and too easy to blow off. Regular meetings with a trainer keep me more accountable. I still complain, but at least it gets me there. The meal plan she created for me is kinda boring, but very effective IF I follow it.

Yesterday being Thanksgiving, I endeavored to eat under my calorie goal (and I raked leaves for a half hour), and this morning I weigh less than yesterday morning, hurray!. But be assured, I weighed & measured every morsle: 2 oz. ham, 1/2 C, mashed potatoes, 1/2 C. green bean casserole, 1/4 C. stuffing, 1 slice pumpkin pie, 2 T. whipped cream. Afterwards I wanted more, yes, but I drank a big glass of water, brushed my teeth, and drank another big glass of water.

Beer and wine have always been weaknesses of mine too, so I understand your struggle. I'm not home free by any measure. Every day is a new set of challenges, every meal, every urge to imbibe, every time I think I should get up and workout or get active in some way. I have more leaves that need raking...wanna help? :D