• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Gen1GT wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Here are my 2 cents:

High protein is required during weight-loss because it spares muscle loss, which in turn spares metabolism. I've lost 100 lbs in the past 7 months, but my metabolic rate ratio has gone up (tested on actual calorimeter), and this is because I've had 190-200g protein per day

What is your height and weight?

I started at 420 lbs, at 6'2". I'm now 324 lbs.

Oh look who it is.

Is this another steve account?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Here are my 2 cents:

High protein is required during weight-loss because it spares muscle loss, which in turn spares metabolism. I've lost 100 lbs in the past 7 months, but my metabolic rate ratio has gone up (tested on actual calorimeter), and this is because I've had 190-200g protein per day

High protein, maybe, maybe not. Adequate protein is probably a more accurate term. I would say that 200 grams of protein is fine for you at 6'2" tall and 324 pounds. Necessary? That's debatable... but still fine I guess.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    the link threw me off.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Here are my 2 cents:

High protein, maybe, maybe not. Adequate protein is probably a more accurate term. I would say that 200 grams of protein is fine for you at 6'2" tall and 324 pounds. Necessary? That's debatable... but still fine I guess.

yes- adequate.

that's a goo way to put it.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    A general rule of thumb is half your body weight. For example, say the person weighs 140, 70 grams of protein a day would be a good starting point.

See how your body responds to this, then adjust accordingly.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm more with the mainstream medical community. For women, that's usually 40-50g per day.
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/protein
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    In my informed opinion, based on my personal research and experience, the 1g/lb number that keeps being thrown around as gospel is overdoing it. 1g per lb of LEAN mass seems to be a better number or about 0.70-0.80 g/lb of body weight. I set mine at about 150 g per day, but usually hit between 120 - 150 and I have had muscle growth that I am more than happy with.

Bodybuilders tend to suggest more protein than necessary "just to be safe." I suppose this is fine since it would take orders of magnitudes more protein than any one would ever suggest to have negative medical side effects. However, since a lot of high protein sources (especially fancy shakes) are more expensive than carb and fat sources, you may just be throwing away money.