Forever Fat

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you start weighing your food, you will very quickly see that the labels lie. Most food you eat has more calories, a few have less. If you want to have a good idea of how many calories you're eating, you have to weigh the stuff.

You don't need to count calories to lose weight, but if you're going to go the route of counting, count as accurately as you can.

When you start working out, you may add some water weight. If you stick with it regularly, the scale will reflect the results.

I don't personally care if you quit. It won't affect my weight! But you should try taking it all seriously and do the work that is required of whatever method you choose. Stick with it...because it works! In the end, you'll be happier and healthier!!

You should see your doctor now if you haven't done that yet. That's the smartest way to start. Then follow his advice, which I'm sure will include eating healthier foods and exercising.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    A quick glance at your diary is making me about 95% sure you are under reporting the calories you are eating. Spend more time online figuring out calories for each thing you eat.

I don't exercise and I have been losing the weight following mfp and counting calories.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    fnub wrote: »
    Measurements like "1/4 of a bell pepper" really don't mean much - along with "Homemade chicken soup - 1 serving".

MFP seems to know how many calories are in a bell pepper. I think MFP can do the math. Also the home-made chicken soup is made up of measured ingredients and created into a meal so I know exactly what's in the soup. Make sense?

Do you know what a medium bell pepper looks like? Because mine come in all different sizes. And medium to me won't be medium to you.

And the soup - what's one serving? How did you figure it?

My point is, unless you're WEIGHING everything, you can't state that you're "eating well under your allotted caloric intake" - because you actually have no real idea what you're eating.

You asked for help, I'm trying to give it. You can either keep doing what you're doing, or you can try something new that has worked for most people on this site (including me, having lost almost 60 pounds in seven months).
  • fitmissbliss
    fitmissbliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    fnub wrote: »
    Measurements like "1/4 of a bell pepper" really don't mean much - along with "Homemade chicken soup - 1 serving".

MFP seems to know how many calories are in a bell pepper. I think MFP can do the math. Also the home-made chicken soup is made up of measured ingredients and created into a meal so I know exactly what's in the soup. Make sense?

Do you know what a medium bell pepper looks like? Because mine come in all different sizes. And medium to me won't be medium to you.

And the soup - what's one serving? How did you figure it?

My point is, unless you're WEIGHING everything, you can't state that you're "eating well under your allotted caloric intake" - because you actually have no real idea what you're eating.

You asked for help, I'm trying to give it. You can either keep doing what you're doing, or you can try something new that has worked for most people on this site (including me, having lost almost 60 pounds in seven months).

WORD.

• nikki0308hope
    Options
    Don't give up. I don't have a great advice to give you. The only thing that I know if you are willing to do this then do it without giving up, you will be disappointed some times but don't give up. Try harder and I am sure you will soon start to see the difference. Remember it takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends and 12 weeks for the rest of the world. Give it 12 weeks. Don't Quit! And a last thing, that hard thing is to start, if you decided to start losing weight then I am sure it will get easier on the way.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I gave up on MFP because I had started losing weight and then decided to do the Julian Michaels 30 day shred. After the first week I put on some weight. I couldn't figure out why because I had not changed my eating. It got me so discouraged that I quit, gained back the weight and didn't try again for two years. Well since then I have educated myself and now know that intense exercise will at first make you retain water weight. Don't give up. It will come off if you continue to eat a deficit.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hi fnub ... M 51 5'11" SW:298 CW:224 GW:~208 Have lost 74 lbs on MFP & Walking 3x week (no gym)

Wow, man. I feel for you. At this point, I had lost well over 10 lbs.. I'm not sure what's tripping you up, but you're doing everything right from what this amateur can see.

Speaking of amateurs -- there are a lot of 'em trying to help and support you. But we're all fellow travelers.

My thoughts on your failure to launch:
    • Give it more time. If you went from sedentary to the cross-trainer, your body may be in shock and holding water. If you're "feeling the burn" from these workouts, it's almost certain that it's water. You are burning fat but holding water to repair muscle.
    • Lighten up on the workout. At this point, it is important that you start seeing the scale move, so don't press for top scores on the crosstrainer. Don't add minutes or levels -- in fact, back off 10% on both and just take an enjoyable ride -- 27 minutes on level 11 -- for three weeks. Let your body catch up with your willpower.
    • Drink extra water. Carry a bottle with you and down as many bottles as you can during the day. Your pee should be white (clear) if you're doing this enough.
    • Congrats on your food diary. It looks really good to me. You have some opportunities in there if you're not getting enough food (example: trade the ginger ale for diet-something with 0 calories). But I'm not seeing you complain about not enough food so it's fine.
    • Make sure your scale isn't screwed up. Weigh holding a couple of liters of liquid, make sure you see about 8-9 pounds more while you're holding two liters in your arms.
    • Take your measurements. Honestly, you wouldn't have seen anything in two weeks, but a stall like this is normal within the first couple of months of weight loss. You also will be the last person to see the weight loss in the mirror (it's a trick of the mind). So track your neck, waist, and hips so that you have the starting number for later.

Buddy, send me a PM if you want to talk further. These forums get a little hard for me to read -- some people are so eager to help they seem to forget they're talking to a real person on the other side. I'll be happy to encourage you any way that I can.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    From everything I have been able to read online, going from an utter couch potato to beginning a workout program will force your muscles to retain fluid. That could be part of it.

Also, make sure you're measuring yourself weekly/bi-weekly. The scale lies, and fluctuates. As long as the tape keeps getting smaller, you're going in the right direction.

Give it two more weeks, and if you still haven't lost anything by then, it is likely going to be your calorie consumption. You might actually be eating more than you believe you are.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    What is it with the demand for instant results from people? You've made a great start, but that's what it is - a start. At the beginning of 2012 I was over weight, I started at my local gym and tried dieting and there was mixed results for a few months. I then got help with how to eat and what exercise to do and saw improvements. Then over the summer I got really serious being careful with what I eat and almost living in the gym. For a while it was frustrating as nothing appeared to be changing, but then suddenly things happened. Circumstances meant I didn't see any friends for a month about October time. By the time I saw them again all the excess weight had gone and no one recognised me initially. This is how it goes, you see nothing happening for a while (but things are happening) and then suddenly, you see it. Ideally if you can, see if you can afford a trainer/nutrionist. But if not, just use your common sense with what you eat. Training wise, keep at the gym - but make sure you don't over do it or you'll get sick of the place. If you give up, the huge step you've already made will be for nothing and you'll regret it. The fact you've started means you can easily do this, you just need patience. You need to look at this very long term, as in years rather than days, weeks, months. You've got the rest of your life, so no need to hurry it.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I personally only weigh every month, because I drop weight quite slowly when I first start losing. After my 2nd baby I weighed 220 (and I'm only 5'6). The first month I went all out, gym 5 times a week, eating 1200-1300 calories a day, walking loads with my kids etc. I lost 2lbs that entire month. I nearly cried in front of my personal trainer. But I lost a lot of inches. I know I'd had a baby and holding on to some weight post partum is hormonal, but the point is you should also take measurements. I went on to lose 66lbs. Then I got pregnant again lol, so I'm losing again. Sigh.

I lose weight eating 1550 calories and I'm shorter than you and weigh less, so you should be able to lose on 1800.

I'd suggest doing some strength training. Even if you can't use your arms you can still do things like squats and lunges, and abs work. You could also do HIIT on the cross trainer if that's what you prefer to use, so don't do the whole workout at the same speed and resistance.

I do think weighing food helps, but I lost 66lbs without weighing and measuring every little thing. I'm a bit more obsessive about it now, but it's made no difference to the rate I lose weight. I never eat back exercise calories anyway.

So, just give it time, and take measurements too.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    DO NOT GIVE UP!! This is a battle for your health. People have already given you good advice....make sure about the calories you are taking in....and give it time. The process of losing weight is frustratingly slow at times. I just spent three weeks without losing a pound then all of a sudden one day the scale moved two pounds down. I don't know exactly why this happens, but I have seen others report the same thing. So don't give up, just make sure you are measuring your food accurately and stick with it. I would also suggest changing your diet to maximize your health, not just for weight loss. High-nutrient, low-calorie fruits and veggies will help with that, along with filling things like beans and whole grains. Good luck and please don't give up, that would be the worst thing you could do for yourself and those who love you.
  • WJDK
    WJDK Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you and I gave up for a while because I was so frustrated. I went to the gym three times a week, did weights and cardio and lost a total of 3.5 pounds over a month and a half. I was so frustrated.
    I did notice that my clothes were a little looser but that was it.

Although it is frustrating, we need to stick with it. Drink lots of water and keep plugging along.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I just read a note elsewhere from a lady whose lost over 30 so far... her scale didn't move a bit in her first three weeks. Get your best ideas out of this series of messages and make changes as you see fit but the biggest message of all: stick with it. You're doing everything right -- give it time.

31773543.png
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You say you're logging, but it doesn't look like you're actually weighing your food. Before you rage, try getting a food scale (~$15), and WEIGH everything. Measurements like "1/4 of a bell pepper" really don't mean much - along with "Homemade chicken soup - 1 serving".
    I say this alot. You must weigh all your food. I have a food scale ($25) and it is soooo worth it!

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    You're right - you should have lost at least a couple of pounds by now if you are truly eating and burning as you say. If you are sure it's not a metabolic issue preventing you from losing weight, I would suggest (as others have already stated) investing in a food scale. A quick glance at your diary and it looks like you measure a lot in teaspoons and tablespoons. These types of measurements can be deceiving, especially when it comes to things like butter or cereal. What I thought was one tablespoon of almond butter, was actually closer to two - it was a difference of 90 calories! And these things add up.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    you lost INCHES in 2 weeks? who cares what the scale says.. you are slimmer! after 2 weeks only! i would be very very happy with that...
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    also, 2 weeks is nothing. you will have to eat at a deficit (not necessarily 1700 cal) for a LONG, LONG time. and the closer you'll be to your goal, the harder it will be. WEIGHT LOSS IS HARD, and takes TIME. if you were hoping to sort yourself out in a few weeks, well...
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Weight loss requires mental adjustments not just physical. You have just started a long road. If you are feeling discouraged after just 15 days, I encourage you to read a lot of the success posts on MFP. There are people who have lost as much as you want to and more. You will see they overcame a lot of negative feelings and persevered. The app is just a tool. It won't do anything for you in and of itself. I wish you the best.
  • kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about the tendonitis. I have seen my fair share of it as a massage therapist and I know it is very painful. I'm not a weight loss expert. I've had some success here on mfp but I think the reason for that has been more about actually seeing what I'm putting into my body every day. It was definitely eye opening. My loss was slow at first and sped up after about 50 days. My advice would be to watch your macros and make small adjustments as you go along. To not leave yourself feeling deprived at all. Make small substitutions to the foods you really like to eat (go slow) rather than going balls to the wall with dieting and exercise. You want this to be sustainable. People keep asking why you don't go back to cutting carbs..I know why..because just like for me it was not sustainable and you end up gaining it back. I know men are very practical about this type of thing and want an a,b,c plan with results but the truth is that in order to be successful in the long run this has to be about a life transformation, not just a size transformation. Are you happy? What are you doing for you that feels awesome? How are you rewarding the hard work you are putting in at the gym? I don't care what anyone says, this is about more than weight loss. Body / mind / spirit. You've got to work on all of it. Slow and steady balance wins in the end. Go get a massage or instead of hitting the gym go to your favorite park and walk around. Make sure you are still enjoying your daily life every day. Google "homeostasis". Your body is always trying to heal itself and get back to center. It just needs some help getting there! You can do this, don't give up.
  • zenabby
    zenabby Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been in the same boat so many times, and now I have got a little wiser, but am still inconsistent. So many people have given great advice. What works for me (I have a terrible metabolism):

1) Went to the doctor and did blood work and was diagnosed with mildly high thyroid and vitamin d deficiency. That could make weight loss harder.
    2) Have to reduce carbs. I love carbs - rice especially. So even if I was eating the right calories, it takes a long time to see any movement on scale. If I reduce carbs and increase protein, I see results almost immediately. It might be water weight with carbs but sure does motivate you when you see the scale moving.
    3) Reduced processed food, salt and sugar, increase fresh veggies and fruits. I just feel that if the body is clean and nutrition filled, it will let go of the weight (it's almost a mental visualization for me).
    4) Strength train/exercise 3-4 times a week. Not every day. I feel my body needs to rest and recover. But it is different for each person.
    5) Be consistent. What takes 10 days of clean eating can go away with 1 day of bad eating (for me). So I go back and forth. I think this time, I understand this and I have been doing better. I do record everything I eat, but not very accurately. The more accurate you are, the better adjustments you can make.
    6) If you go by the logic of 3500 calories deficit for every pound, figure out how you are getting the 3500 calorie deficit and how long it takes. If you TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is 1750, and you eat 1250 calories, it takes 1 week to lose 1 pound. The TDEE you calculate from sites may not be the right one for you. Personally I feel that my metabolism is bad and I subtract 100-200 calories from what I am told and work from there. I also do not eat my exercise calories. But I make sure I do not feel hungry or starve.
    7) Sugar stability - Eat a little every 2-3 hours while still being within your total planned calories to ensure your sugar does not spike. This will make you feel better. Do not eat for 4 hours before bed.
    8) Drink lots and lots of water.