can't get my motor going

Options
each day a promise tomorrow will be better but just can't seem to get myself going. Please send me words of how you get your self motivated and on the road to sticking to your program I must loose weight to live and even that don't motivate me

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Set it for maintenance and count calories till you figure out how many calories are in the food you eat then start reducing the amount you eat of the same stuff
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Focus on one thing at a time. For today, log everything you eat. No matter what it is, no matter how many calories or sugar or fat it adds up to, just write it all down.
  • Newsalt1
    Options
    I have started and stopped so many times I can't count em. Going to try again wish me luck
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    what everyone says is true. Starting out smaller is going to set you higher for success.

Also, it's just one of those things that once you get out there and start- you're on it.
    - So no matter how small, if you initially start you are doing more and better than expected.

I was always like this when I was out running. I would lag around the house. Forget a bunch of things..."well I cannot run without a watch. Well, I need to do the dishes first. Well, maybe I'll check the internet for the weather." Like an hour later I'm finally running and doing the full workout. Just starting is always the hardest part.

Have an established program to get you through: "oh, I can't quit till this class ends. I can't stop till I did this many reps and this many lifts. I can't quit unless I ran x amount of miles or x amount of time."

If you need motivational support mfp works well. However, it doesn't beat real life encouragement. Get a fitness group together for accountability. Be part of the account ability, "you feeling okay ___insert name here___ you didn't show up for today's workout."

Sign up for events to encourage you to workout. this is kind of dangerous motivation because if you do not commit the event is going to be killer.

Also, music has proven to be a motivational factor as well as podcasts.

Just get out the door, that is step one.

• Silverdracos
    Silverdracos Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    How about "Failure is not Final, make failure a MOMENT not a MONUMENT" Time and life doesn't stop for moment no matter how much we might want them too. Heck, I'd stay right in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner if I could!

But a Monument is something we stop and dwell on, contemplate, admire/revile. We cannot just continue in the direction we were going. We must stop and go around, and continue giving it our attention, until we are ready to move on.

We are our own worst enemy when it comes to reshaping ourselves. For me the most effective thing has been to be honest with myself about the excuses I make. To not let myself pass the blame on outside influence and know that if I'm going to eat that amazing piece of pizza it's because I want to and not because I can't hurt someone's feelings. I don't have to eat the exact same thing as the rest of the family for dinner, it's not going to hurt the kids to see me only eating one piece of pizza and a big bowl of spinach salad instead of half a pie.

Don't push when you're just starting. Getting pushed off a diving board is much more frightening than jumping in on your own. So tackling everything at once is going to doom you. If you do something small it is still a far greater thing than doing nothing at all. If focusing on a day at a time is too much, focus on something smaller. Maybe just one meal at a time. Maybe just one meal a day.

And
    If you stumble, forgive yourself. And do it when you MAKE the decision to stumble. I've never had ice cream run into my mouth of it's own volition - but I have chosen to spend the calories I'd saved for dinner on Mint Chocolate Chip instead. You can start over any minute of the day. You don't have to wait to start in the morning.

My health is my motivation, and I've decided to use all of the stubbornness that I've used to defend myself from change to attack the part of me that would rather watch it decline than spend even a few minutes making things better.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Set it for maintenance and count calories till you figure out how many calories are in the food you eat then start reducing the amount you eat of the same stuff

Think this is a good idea. Many people plow right on in and stall because they dont prepare properly or understand fully hoe an MFP diet is meant to work.

People use different thing to motivate.

1. Health reasons, even hough it cna end up shortening your lifespan and killing you then that doesnt seem to bother you enough.
    2. How about being around for loved ones?
    3. How about because its something you can achieve as long as you follow a decent plan, then its nothing special.
    4. Because you will be most likely happier when you are a normal weight and will be able to enjoy more of lifes opportunities. Youll be able to live life more to the full and should be happier.

You know what makes yourself tick and the moivation to do things needs to come from yourself.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I seem to have trouble sticking to my limits in the winter. I dunno there's something about the cold that makes me just wanna eat more and move less. I'm not gonna beat myself up about it too much and get back into it hardcore in the summer. And I've hardly turned into a couch potato =). I still do 3 distance runs a week and gym 3 times a week. I'm just a bit slack with my calorie counts and sometimes a skip a gym sesh or two. It's not the end of the world. It's too much fun in the summer sun to skip tho. Sometimes when it's cold and raining out its hard to get out there and do stuff.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I agree just start with logging, this is a journey and along the way you collect tools and people to help you succeed so start with logging then find the next tool.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    boopsiegrl wrote: »
    each day a promise tomorrow will be better but just can't seem to get myself going. Please send me words of how you get your self motivated and on the road to sticking to your program I must loose weight to live and even that don't motivate me

I wouldn't wait until tomorrow. Start implementing a change right now. Cook something healthy for dinner. Take a walk. See how many push-ups you can do. That helped me, instead of previous attempts when I binged the night before and then started a huge life change.

Set goals beyond weight, because the scale sometimes goes up before it comes down. I want to do 100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups without stopping. What do you want to do?