Downsides to working out at night?

Options
Do you prefer not to work out at night? When I first started working out, I looked on Google and the consensus I got was that it's better to do it in the morning, and that night time can have some. ..side effects, for lack of a better word. But I ignored it because I only have time to work out in the evening, and initially it exhausted me and I slept great. Now that I am getting used to it,I'm wide awake til almost midnight, and I also get hungry around 9pm,which I have been ignoring. Any tips on how to squeeze in a morning workout with a very high maintenance toddler?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Jogging stroller
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    working out late at night keeps me up too, sometimes until 2-3am, not a big fan when i can avoid it. But getting up at 5am to work out is killer hard too.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I never had any side effects when I worked out at night. I always liked it better than in the morning. I plan on working out tonight, as a matter of fact. :)
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I always work out at night…. but I work a graveyard shift, so it's still right after I wake up. So, I don't know if that makes a difference or not. But it's never bothered me. I love it.
  • Silverdracos
    Silverdracos Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was always too tired to get motivated by myself at night. Now I wake up an hour before the kids to get my workout and a shower in. And if I'm slow the shower might wait till I've dropped them off at school. :) Having a shorter workout helps too.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Only downside is I don't want to shower afterwards. I work out in the morning or afternoons though and honestly I still don't usually shower after, I just wait until morning. Doesn't keep me up to work out at night.

If you are hungry at night, then eat at night. Allocate one of your meals or snacks to post-workout. Or if you do NET method then you should be logging workout calories anyways, which gives you x amount of calories to eat to still be at yur usual deficit. If I am really hungry this can keep me up at night, so this could be something causing your issues.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Late workouts will totally keep me up late.

You can workout while the toddler naps or pop them in a high chair after the nap, turn on Barney (or whatever toddlers are watching these days), give them some Cheerios or fruit or whatever and do 20-30 minutes while they munch. If they can see you, they get less wigged out than if they can't.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    My gym workouts end about two hours before I go to bed some nights. Haven't caused me any issues.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I work out when I get home from work, while my husband is still at work. I lift, and my son "helps" me. I got him a pair of 1lb dumbbells and he does bicep curls and weighted squats like mommy.

Usually he just ends up dancing to the workout music I'm playing, but as long as he's not in the way, I don't mind. He knows to keep his distance for safety (he's 2).

For cardio and such, I try to get it done first thing in the morning, or while he's having a snack when I get home, because if I do it too late I can't sleep later.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Late workouts will totally keep me up late.

You can workout while the toddler naps or pop them in a high chair after the nap, turn on Barney (or whatever toddlers are watching these days), give them some Cheerios or fruit or whatever and do 20-30 minutes while they munch. If they can see you, they get less wigged out than if they can't.

Perfect advice! The child will be highly amused while watching and when said child gets a little older, he/she will want to join in the fun. I vividly remember my mother and my babysitter doing exercises with Jack La Lane, and then we did it alongside. Makes me smile just typing this.

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I could do either but choose, for now, to do it at night. I have a DVR in my home gym and have tons of great things to watch. I also can listen to music. I have some trouble falling asleep afterwards but I take a hot shower afterwards and just get into bed. No tv or internet (well many a little MFP) and then I go to sleep. Only getting about 5.5hours sleep but I make up for it on the weekends. I workout 5 nights a week and totally veg on weekends to let my muscles and body recuperate. It's really been working well. I will keep the morning cardio in my back pocket until I hit a plateau. Then I will change things up to blast out of it.

Bottom line is that if you can only do it at night that is better than not doing it at all or not doing it effectively because you have to pay attention to your little one. I know plenty of folks who workout at night.
  • fitmama0914
    Options
    Thanks. :) I never thought to do it during his nap (duh! Lol). His idea of "helping" me, is when I am doing pushups, he'll get down in front of me on his hands and knees and try to look up at me and mom!mom!mom! me, and I have to pause from laughing. Or if I try donkey kicks, he'll do circles around me. ..So maybe I won't do those.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I work out when I get home from work, while my husband is still at work. I lift, and my son "helps" me. I got him a pair of 1lb dumbbells and he does bicep curls and weighted squats like mommy.

Usually he just ends up dancing to the workout music I'm playing, but as long as he's not in the way, I don't mind. He knows to keep his distance for safety (he's 2).

For cardio and such, I try to get it done first thing in the morning, or while he's having a snack when I get home, because if I do it too late I can't sleep later.

YAY! You are setting a great example. Kids remember and repeat what they see.
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I was always too exhausted for my night workouts and would have a hard time sleeping after them. So now I only workout in the mornings, which leaves me with so much energy throughout the day.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

baby-bodybuilder-11529-1270761046-9%255B1%255D.jpg
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    It depends on how determined you are. There are no downsides for me, other than falling asleep on the machines and equipment. Upside of that? Barely anyone around to see you do it!!
  • Taiser
    Taiser Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I start doing weights at 7 pm for about an hour and a half, then a 30 minute break then my cardio. I have no issues. I can't work out in the morning and I sure as hell don't like getting up at 5 am to work out. Once you get into it it's easy and I sleep like a baby! :smile:
  • fitmama0914
    Options
    Yuck, nope I'm not a 5am workout person either, lol. I'll just stick with my current schedule for now. I can fully focus on the workout, take a shower, and relax. :)
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have trouble sleeping and am a huge night owl (don't usually manage to get to sleep until after 3am most nights), so I actually prefer working out at night. I always have really awful fatigue (possibly thyroid issues) during most of the day and usually can finally convince myself to get off my butt around 9pm. >.> At least I'm still working out!
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I briefly did the morning workouts but I found I wasn't giving it my best effort as I was still half asleep. I always work out in the evenings now, whether its at home, gym or tennis.