How does rice contribute to weight gain?

Options
Guys,I need some help here.I was talking to my Aunty who lost a huge amount of weight (app 20-30kg).But anyway she told me she stopped eating rice,especially white rice and now resorted to a fist size portion of white basmati rice.She said once she starts eating rice,she'll grow horizontally.Bread doesn't cause the same effect tho. Well,this is new to me and I've searched all over google but couldn't find anything related to this.Personally,I too stopped eating rice but I don't grow horizontally like she does.Even after months of not eating rice,I can down one full plate of rice without any bad effects.Any ideas guys?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    It doesn't. Caloric surplus contributes to weight gain.
    She stopped eating rice = she lowered her caloric intake
    or
    she stopped eating rice = she reduced her water retention and thus reduced her bloat.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    It contributes as far as it provides a surplus of calories. Otherwise, it doesn't have a single thing to do with weight loss.

Also, just because someone (your aunt, in this case) lost a bunch of weight doesn't necessarily mean they know the first thing about proper nutrition and weight loss. It reminds me of the flawed logic story of the rock and tigers:

"Every day I put a big rock out in my from yard. Ever since, I have never had a single tiger attack. Therefore, lawn rocks ward off tigers!" The rock (rice) has exactly nothing to do with whether or not tigers attack (weight gain).
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    This post literally made me laugh out loud. Not to be mean, but that was really funny. As mentioned, it's all about calories. Rice is very calorie dense, so it's easy to over consume.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    You should definitely ask all those fat Asians. I mean, obviously they're all huge after eating all that rice all the time. Right? No? Oh well, your aunt must be mistaken.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    ^^ what everyone else said. Bread is more damaging then rice honestly and you don't see many fat Asians do you? also brown rice isn't really better than white because of the anti-nutrients inside of it, plus it just tastes gross. I'll keep eating my white rice and ill keep losing weight :D
  • AJ_G
    Options
    You should definitely ask all those fat Asians. I mean, obviously they're all huge after eating all that rice all the time. Right? No? Oh well, your aunt must be mistaken.

32znlty.jpg
  • AJ_G
    Options
    ^^ what everyone else said. Bread is more damaging then rice honestly and you don't see many fat Asians do you? also brown rice isn't really better than white because of the anti-nutrients inside of it, plus it just tastes gross. I'll keep eating my white rice and ill keep losing weight :D

Strong post...
  • FaylinaMeir
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

32znlty.jpg

was waiting for someone to link a picture of a sumo :laugh: those guys eat lots of meat and fat not mainly rice like most Asians. Not to mention the amount of food they eat is almost inhuman o.O I've seen a few documentaries on sumo before, just wow!
  • FaylinaMeir
    Options

Strong post...

TY ^_^ don't get me wrong, I'm NOT anti grain or gluten or whatever. Bread can be good for you in moderation but it is hard on the body to digest even if you aren't allergic to it.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

Strong post...

TY ^_^ don't get me wrong, I'm NOT anti grain or gluten or whatever. Bread can be good for you in moderation but it is hard on the body to digest even if you aren't allergic to it.

I wonder what makes it so. Gluten?
  • AJ_G
    Options

Strong post...

Do you have any evidence for that claim?
  • highcarbveganzombie
    Options
    It doesn't. A big chunk of my diet is rice and potatoes and I'm losing weight very nicely. :P
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    gcdn wrote: »
    Guys,I need some help here.I was talking to my Aunty who lost a huge amount of weight (app 20-30kg).But anyway she told me she stopped eating rice,especially white rice and now resorted to a fist size portion of white basmati rice.She said once she starts eating rice,she'll grow horizontally.Bread doesn't cause the same effect tho. Well,this is new to me and I've searched all over google but couldn't find anything related to this.Personally,I too stopped eating rice but I don't grow horizontally like she does.Even after months of not eating rice,I can down one full plate of rice without any bad effects.Any ideas guys?

We are all different and one food may give different weight gain patterns from one person to another. If your Aunty is older than you as often is the case with aunts the type/amount of rice may be too much for her now. Carbs I get from white sugar in a drink increases my pain level whereas eating a starchy baked potato does not do that. We know not all calories are equal from person to person or the same person over time.

Sounds like your Aunty is smart enough to figure out what works and does not work for her waist line. Her advice may be of more value to you 30 years down the road perhaps. :)

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    because rocket science.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    because rocket science.

Aerospace engineering, fluid mechanics, geoplanetary physics, and orbital mechanics? Stuff like that?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

We are all different and one food may give different weight gain patterns from one person to another. If your Aunty is older than you as often is the case with aunts the type/amount of rice may be too much for her now. Carbs I get from white sugar in a drink increases my pain level whereas eating a starchy baked potato does not do that. We know not all calories are equal from person to person or the same person over time.

Sounds like your Aunty is smart enough to figure out what works and does not work for her waist line. Her advice may be of more value to you 30 years down the road perhaps. :)

I know that age can slow down metabolism to a small degree, but I'm wondering how it changes the basic laws of thermodynamics. Can you imagine if it were actually true that macros work differently in different people, aside from outliers with established medical issues? Like, if it were completely random...potatoes made one person fat while bread did it to another, and for this person, no fish, and that person couldn't eat chicken without blowing up like a balloon. I wonder how the dietitians and nutritionists would handle that. Perhaps there would be a test, like an allergy test, to tell you what your poison is.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    because rocket science.

Aerospace engineering, fluid mechanics, geoplanetary physics, and orbital mechanics? Stuff like that?

You and I are always on the same page.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    because rocket science.

You and I are always on the same page.

Yea I've been noticing that lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

so much nonsense….