Steaming veges is bad?!

Options
So if you look at my diary from Monday to Friday I eat steamed veges. Only reason being it is winter here in Australia so a salad just isn't going to satisfy me. Now I am hearing I get nothing out of eating steamed veges cos it takes away the goodness?!?

Should I just eat a burger instead? I don't get it I am trying to do the right thing but there is always something that contradicts everything in the health world...

Can someone please clarify this? Or do you eat steamed veges for weightloss?

Replies

• eriamjh
    eriamjh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you serious? Steamed veggies are not BAD for you. Sure, cooking removes some nutrients, but we are not cows. We need to cook our food. Don't listen to the noise that contradicts common sense.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Why shouldn't it be good for you?
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Steaming does not "take away the goodness" -- If you use a small amount of water and begin boiling it before you put the veggie son to steam you can minimize nutrient loss. But steamign is one of the best ways to cook veggies to retain more nutrients

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/vitamins-minerals/keeping-the-vitamins-nutrients-in-cooked-veggies.html#b

You are fine. Eat em up. MMMMMMM
  • tanyalevan
    tanyalevan Posts: 182
    Options
    Thanks for the website! Sometimes I get sucked into all these documentaries about healthy eating and food but they all say different things so just ends up confusing me! Sometimes get angry haha
  • babybl00310
    babybl00310 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the website! Sometimes I get sucked into all these documentaries about healthy eating and food but they all say different things so just ends up confusing me! Sometimes get angry haha

I hear ya! My other half is subscribed to all sorts of health websites and on a daily basis he gets emails telling him 'eat this, don't eat that' etc and it drives me nuts as he obsesses over them. Thing is, a few weeks down the line one of the things that's quoted as being bad for you before is now a must eat item for health. Aaaaargh!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If you're really worried then either microwave them or save the water from the bottom of the steamer to add to soup. But steaming is better than boiling.

Funnily enough it is supposed to be summer here in the UK, but I think the weather forgot.......
  • tanyalevan
    tanyalevan Posts: 182
    Options

I hear ya! My other half is subscribed to all sorts of health websites and on a daily basis he gets emails telling him 'eat this, don't eat that' etc and it drives me nuts as he obsesses over them. Thing is, a few weeks down the line one of the things that's quoted as being bad for you before is now a must eat item for health. Aaaaargh!

Exactly!!! What do you believe? Every time you think you are on track it's like nope wrong way go back... Then you have conversations with people about health and foods to eat and they say you are wrong cos they read this somewhere but then you also read something slightly different somewhere else!

I just want the truth haha
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Boiling veggies... not steamed.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

I used to do the same, but now I take certain things with a grain of salt. It can be confusing especially when one day they're shoving information at you claiming that it will increase your life and health, then the next day they say it causes cancer or isn't the right solution for long term goals.

I noticed my mom is now listening to everything Dr. Oz says. I figure if it makes sense and she wants to try it then okay-I just smile and nod but I did tell her that I feel he talks about all the trends so (again) I weigh what he says with a grain of salt. (I'm not saying he doesn't know what he's talking about, but I'm just tired of trends and celebrity doctors)
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Taking things with a grain of salt is OK, but watch your sodium levels!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Steaming vegetables is actually one of the most nutritious ways to eat them.

Really though . . . just eat your veggies in whichever way you like to eat them.

Although I'd probably avoid the deep fryer.
  • amitglinkedin
    amitglinkedin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Steaming veggies is best thing to do
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to bad science.
    Keep eating your veg.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The food "documentary" movement has gotten so bad that if I see a theory linked with a documentary I'm inclined to do the opposite. (I know, that's probably not healthy, but I'm contrary by nature :wink: ) Keep it simple. Eat your veggies however you can get them in and don't worry so much.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    So if you look at my diary from Monday to Friday I eat steamed veges. Only reason being it is winter here in Australia so a salad just isn't going to satisfy me. Now I am hearing I get nothing out of eating steamed veges cos it takes away the goodness?!?

Utter BS!
    Steamed vegetables are fantastic!
    Just remember that they contain calories as well and you should count them.
    All the best,

Ben