Is 10K steps a day still sedentary?

Options
2»

Replies

• Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    You are definitely active. Do you have a fitbit? Whats vivofit? I've literally never heard of it. If you don't have money for a fitbit BUT have a smartphone, i highly recommend downloading this app called "argus". It's so good, i literally stopped wearing my $100 fitbit and used this free app exclusively. It calculates your tdee and works with fitness pal and everything

I think the 10,000 steps goal is solid and with that you need to be eating more. Remember: People that feel like they're starving eventually relapse!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Losingthedamnweight - I can't find Argus in the MFP app gallery - I'm interested in it, it looks good on the iOS app store but how exactly do you connect it to MFP? I don't see an indication that it works with MFP? Maybe I should PM you...
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    Losingthedamnweight - I can't find Argus in the MFP app gallery - I'm interested in it, it looks good on the iOS app store but how exactly do you connect it to MFP? I don't see an indication that it works with MFP? Maybe I should PM you...

PM sent. Its very easy and totally worth it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Vivofit is similar to a Fitbit.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If there is a calorie adjustment from your tracker, your extra steps are accounted for. If you do not want to use "sedentary" as a profile, you would need to switch off your vivofit calorie adjustment and set your profile to active.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    She's saying she hasn't been eating the adjustment.

Probably the calories end up being similar however you do it, tracker or changing activity setting, with the tracker being more precise and accounting for changes day to day.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    infomancer wrote: »
    I aim for at least 10,000 steps a day with my Fitbit and have chosen to set myself to 'Lightly active' but allowing Fitbit to make negative adjustments as necessary*. I don't have concerns about Fitbit's accuracy, but I do find that I can better plan my day this way. But that's just me: your mileage may vary :smile:

(*At 'Lightly active', Fitbit hasn't needed to subtract calories from my daily total yet, but this summer, when I had a higher step goal and a higher activity level, it did so occasionally and it worked well for me.)

How do you do the negative calories thing?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    dunnodunno wrote: »
    I aim for at least 10,000 steps a day with my Fitbit and have chosen to set myself to 'Lightly active' but allowing Fitbit to make negative adjustments as necessary*. I don't have concerns about Fitbit's accuracy, but I do find that I can better plan my day this way. But that's just me: your mileage may vary :smile:

(*At 'Lightly active', Fitbit hasn't needed to subtract calories from my daily total yet, but this summer, when I had a higher step goal and a higher activity level, it did so occasionally and it worked well for me.)

It's a default setting for MFP if you don't move enough to meet your activity level. Like today, I was at 6000 steps per my Fitbit after my workout. However, that wasn't enough for me to be burning my maintenance calories (I was struggling through the workout), so it took calories off my goal instead of adding them.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Is vivofit like fitbit and automatically adjusts MFP?

If so leave it as sedentary to adjust

Problem is I don't know how accurate it is, so I don't eat the calories back, then I end up hungry ALL the time.... stuck between hungry and a hard place, so hungry it is :/

I found Fitbit to be really accurate, so I recommend trying it. Leave a bit of a cushion if you want and compare your results as you go.

Congrats on your success so far!

THIS.
    Give yourself a SMALL cushion if it makes you feel better, but don't under eat. You've got some wiggle room at this point. it would be better to know how MUCH you can eat, rather than guess at stuff.

I would go with this also, and what a great job youv'e done OP. Congrats on your progress. qz9rtonn3lk4.png

• Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    No, it's not still sedentary.

from this link: http://walking.about.com/cs/measure/a/locke122004.htm

Classification of pedometer-determined physical activity in healthy adults:
    1) Under 5000 steps/day may be used as a "sedentary lifestyle index"
    2) 5,000-7,499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered "low active." The average American walks 5900 to 6900 steps per day, so the majority are "low active."
    3) 7,500-9,999 steps/day likely includes some exercise or walking (and/or a job that requires more walking) and might be considered "somewhat active."
    4) 10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as "active".

5) 12,500+ steps/day Individuals who take more than 12,500 steps/day are likely to be classified as "highly active".

Thanks for the info, it helps.

• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    dunnodunno wrote: »

It's a default setting for MFP if you don't move enough to meet your activity level. Like today, I was at 6000 steps per my Fitbit after my workout. However, that wasn't enough for me to be burning my maintenance calories (I was struggling through the workout), so it took calories off my goal instead of adding them.

Thanks for the response.

• freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Wow I am so glad someone asked this question! I do on average except 10K - 18K steps a day, it varies. I have myself as "Sedentary", I take short walks during the day to get up from behind my desk, then jog 4.5 miles after work some days. Thank you all for this info!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have always had my setting at sedentary. This gives me the correct number of calories to eat if I don't do anything. I have a desk job and if it wasn't for exercise, I probably wouldn't exceed 3,000 steps in a day. I have been using a fitbit for 5 months with the sedentary setting. I eat most to all of my adjustment back and have found, reading the weekly fitbit reports, that it has worked out nearly perfect- I've lost a pound for every 3500 calorie deficit. I don't log exercise any other way, and I keep my calorie budget low should I ever not exercise (I do get an adjustment nearly every day though). I weigh less than you and eat 1370 plus my adjustment and have lost 50 lbs doing this.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've found my vivofit to be very accurate. I'm in maintenance now, set at 1700 "base" calories, which is equivalent to "lightly active" AND I eat back every additional exercise calorie Garmin gives me. My weight has been stable since I started doing this. Initially trusting it was tough, and I decided to switch the negative calorie adjustment off because I found it annoying and I find the need to get those 15k motivation enough (I don't need the threat of fewer calories to get me moving).

Trust it for a month or two and then reassess based on what you're achieving and what you want to achieve and analyzing the difference.
  • misskarihari
    misskarihari Posts: 104 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have Fitbit flex and I walk 12-15k steps a day. I have set my status to lightly active on MFP, and adjusted my food goal to 1490 which is close to my BMR. I also eat back my exercise calories.