Throwing food away

Options
2»

Replies

• ironangel250
    ironangel250 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hamburgers? I would let my dog have it. :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    Much as I dislike waste - in the circumstances you describe OP, if I didn't have a dog, I would throw it away.
    pointless eating it if you really dislike it and no practical way to give it to anyone else.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    its a pack of 4 frozen burgers. I defrosted all of them 2 days ago thinking I would have 1 or 2 patties a day for a few days. They have a very strange spice combination on them. really terrible. There's no fridge at work, so even if the meat wasn't off (it would have been defrosted several days earlier) it would be by the end of the day. :neutral_face:
    I guess its ok to give them to the wildlife. Its not rotten. Thanks.

I don't like throwing away food but I would just throw away 3 thawed hamburger patties that I did not want to eat and just vow not to buy pre-made patties again.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    lloydrt wrote: »
    give it to Mikey..........he'll like it...............

for those members over 50, they'll know who Mikey is.........

I feel offended. I know who Mikey is... and I'm nowhere near 50. :noway:

Carry on with your conversation. As much as I hate throwing food away, that's what I'd do if I had that meat, throw it away unfortunately. :\
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    lloydrt wrote: »
    give it to Mikey..........he'll like it...............

for those members over 50, they'll know who Mikey is.........

I feel offended. I know who Mikey is... and I'm nowhere near 50. :noway:

Mikey is from a famous commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYEXzx-TINc

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Also under 50 and remember Mikey.

OP, if you don't want it and can't give it away, what are the choices? It can take up permanent residence in the freezer or you can toss it. Tossing seems more sensible.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I throw my uneaten food -- egg shells, coffee grounds, leftover stuff that gets too old -- in my compost pile, so I don't feel like it's "throwing food away" - merely adding nutrition back into the soil.

I don't throw meat in the pile though. I throw that in the neighbor's back yard.

Mother Nature would love your burgers. So would some racoons.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Is there somewhere outside, away from your house or wherever that you can put it? Something will surely eat it.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I mean....if you have no one who wants it, but you don't want to toss it, and you don't want to eat it....I'm not sure what other options you're looking for? Keep it until it goes bad I guess?
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Can you hide it in something else, such as making them into chili?
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am very careful with what I buy to avoid food wastage as much as possible. I don't feel comfortable throwing food away. Not just for financial reason but also for ethical reasons.

I have bought something (for the first time) and I don't really like the taste of. It is a pack of four. I've eaten one. I really don't want to 'spend' my calories on it, but don't feel comfortable just throwing it away; and there is no one I can give it to who would want it.

Would you throw it away ?

Depends on what it is. If it's, say, a granola bar/snack cake/etc? To the chickens it goes! Popcicle-type things? Dogs. Sandwich wrap/taco/portable meat cheese thing? My pig gets it. If it's full of chemicals, preservatives, artificial coloring, etc I don't typically feed it to the animals, i'll chunk it into my compost heap.
    Everything here feeds something else, even if it isn't me.
  • lynder64
    lynder64 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    If you've still got the packaging, I'd bring them back to where you bought them for a refund. A reputable store will take a product back even without a receipt.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Before giving them to wildlife, as you suggested, I would check the ingredients for safety. Some herbs and spices and flavorings can be very bad for animals. Onions, for instance.