Whole grain bread

Options
how many times a week should i eat whole grain bread in order to lose weight-burn fat?
also when should i eat it? breakfast? or lunch?
does it help you lose weight?

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Eat whole grain bread whenever you would normally eat spongy white bread. But it won't help you lose weight - eating fewer calories than you expend is the only way to lose weight. But whole grain bread is better for you - because of the whole grains!

Also be aware whole grain bread can be high in calories - this is no reason not to eat it, just be aware and make sure you log the right calorie value or it will throw your logging right out!
  • aliciadub
    aliciadub Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Be aware of what "whole grain" is and isn't. If it's processed and mass produced by commercial bakeries, you are not getting the full health benefits of whole grains. Once the wheat grain is milled into flour, the oxidation process begins and nutrients breakdown. That is assuming the bakeries begin with whole grains rather than milled flour. Plus, there are preservatives added to extend shelf life, and generally some kind of commercial sugar additive.

I've been buying hard red wheat grain and hard white wheat grain, which I run through a mill in order to bake my own bread. I'm using tupelo and sage honey instead of sugar, too. I'm no expert, by far, but the health and nutritional differences compared to what I would buy in the store are significant.

We eat the whole grain products at every meal. (I would not advocate eating commercially prepared "whole grain" products at every meal.) This includes rolls, sliced loaf bread, cinnamon rolls, muffins, tortillas, hamburger buns, breadsticks, etc.

For more information, online classes, and sourcing: breadbeckers.com I am in no way affiliated with this site or company, but I do purchase from them. I've learned a lot and have seen health benefits from adopting this whole grain-no sugar philosophy for my whole family.

I hope this is helpful. :)