Chiseled face

Options
Oceanborn2
Oceanborn2 Posts: 16 Member
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 6'0 170 lbs with very little LBM. In other words, skinny fat, and it looks like I've still got about 10lbs of stubborn fat on me that's like a turd that won't flush.

I don't know if being 6'0 160lbs is very ideal or sustainable. I've seen guys at 6'0 weighing anywhere from 170-185 with the slim look and chiseled face that I want, but it's looking like I won't be where they are until I'm around 160 or so.

Should I just get this other 10lbs off of me first via cardio/deficit? Or should I keep with the cardio, but add in some weights and do a recomp to get rid of the chubby face?

My bodyfat percentage needs to be lower for sure, so maybe lifting would let me actually EAT while this other 10lbs come off.

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    You are very light for 6' ditch the cardio and lift heavy weights 5 days a week. Set your cals at maintenance. i'm 192lbs at 6' and my wife says I look to skinny....
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Bag the cardio and introduce heavy weights.
  • Oceanborn2
    Oceanborn2 Posts: 16 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    it's weird being 170 and still looking a bit chubby. I surely have an extra 10lbs of fat on me that needs to go, so if I could put on 10lbs of muscle (at least) and lose these last 10lbs of fat, I'd definitely be set. I read all kinds of stuff about how it's impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, but considering that I have little LBM to begin with, I'm thinking a recomp routine may just in fact work.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    just diet the last 10 lbs off for the facial aesthetics of peace, recomping is slow as fuk
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 5'7, female, and 165lbs. So... slow-@ss recomp or slow bulk followed by slow cut, repeat cycle until death.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    A recomp would work but it would be painfully slow and not worth the time. Just slow bulk at this point. Obviously you know losing more weight wouldn't be ideal. Get on a beginner barbell program.
    I agree completely. Most people, especially beginners completely screw up recomps. Just try and slowly gain some weight. Most people do not get "cut" or "chiseled" there first go around. You end up having to do a few bulk/cut cycles until you actually look good at a low body fat percentage. 6'0 160 would seem extremely low to me. I'm 6'0 around 200 in most of my pictures for a reference. I was not able to get as lean as I am now the first go around. I had to bulk a couple of times to be able to get lean and not look like a twig.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I'd say eat at maintenance for a month while you're learning how to lift. Once you to some heavy reps, then start a bulk.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Oceanborn2 wrote: »
    it's weird being 170 and still looking a bit chubby.

It is neither weird nor unusual.

Plenty of men the entire world over are your height, but lower in weight. Plenty.

Do you live in the US, or a similarly overfat nation? If so those places tend to have populations who collectively have very warped understandings of the human body and proper weight.

Your weight is affected not just by LBM, but also frame size. It's very possible that you can have excess fat hanging around on your body at your current weight. There are 6 feet tall men, with slighter frames and lower LBM, who weigh in the 150s who aren't technically underweight.

What are you goals? You can recomp and try and lower that bodyfat level down at a higher weight through a series of bulk/cut cycles.

But it's also just as legit if you chose to lean out where you are and land at a lower weight, with less LBM.

It all depends on your goals. What's your visual goal?
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I find this thread a lit odd. Weight training is definitely the way to go for a fit, trim body with definition but I'm not sure how one gets a chiseled face. If by chiseled you mean "thin and gaunt" then you will get there by becoming underweight. When most people think of a chiseled male face they think in terms of a great face shape and bone structure (Cary Grant, George Clooney types). I think this is larger the "luck" of good genes coupled with not letting yourself get overweight and messing up your good fortune.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the OP should clarify.

Because I interpreted "chiseled face" as just a "low fat face" where he can see a defined jawline and cheekbones.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Men have body image distortions too. Facial characteristics are genetic. I would love to have a cleft chin, for example (I think that's so attractive), but I've settled for cheekbones. ;-)
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    When most people think of a chiseled male face they think in terms of a great face shape and bone structure (Cary Grant, George Clooney types).

Agree. It's the shape of your skull combined with where your body fat tends to stay. I was at a healthy BMI but not happy with the fat around my lower face and under my jaw. I've dropped 13 lbs, and it's better but not as much as I hoped. It seems like most of it came off the front of my chest so my collarbone and rib cage are prominent, and there isn't any muscle there to build up. You just can't know where the fat is going to stubbornly stay.