Face is breaking out..any advice??

Options
Since I started working out on Tues, my face has broken out terribly! I am washing it after workouts, but am I maybe washing it too much? Is that possible?? ...Anyone have any advice?! I don't want to spend tons of money on something like Proactiv

Replies

• Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    I don't put anything on my face before working out (not even moisturizer); or if it is after work I wash it with gentle soap. I have very sensitive skin. You may want to wait for 30 mins after working out to wash your face, since you will continue to sweat and all that jazz after your workout.
  • JoyBellz
    JoyBellz Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Try using Cetaphil. You can get a pretty big bottle of it for about $10 and it lasts a long time. I break out a lot and have found that the Cetaphil helps me. From the education I received in Cosmetology school, you want to make sure you use an astringent AFTER cleansing. Cleansing opens your pores, the astringent will close them and keep them from getting clogged as much, preventing breakouts. If your skin needs moisture, you will produce more oil causing breakouts....sounds wierd but true. Even if your skin is oily, always use a moisturizer. This will help balance your skins moisture and keep skin cells healthy. The breakouts and oily skin will seem worse for a while until your skin gets used to the proper care. Remember: Cleanse, Tone (astringent), Moisturize.
  • ejschantz85
    Options
    I have used several different products and have gone to see a dermatologists on many occasions, why your breaking out could be caused from several things.
    Most likely it could be caused from a change in diet, or excessive sweating could also cause irritation especially if you have oily skin.
    When I went to the dermatologists (I have normal to oily skin) she said to use Neutrogena oil free cleanser, runs about 6 or 7 bucks, but you can usually buy a generic CVS brand for a little bit cheaper.
    She also said that cetaphil works pretty well if your skin gets too dry (Cetaphil did not work for me when I used it)
    I usually use a toner, either witched hazel, or I really like oil of olay toner
    Moisturizing is important, but if you notice it's causing breakouts try to put less on or try a different moisturizer

Always wait to cleanse until after your done sweating : ) so that you aren't still sweating after you cleanse

Also if you want some GREAT skin care home remedies that are cheap and absolutely works wonders, look up Michelle Phan (Rice Bunny), she has some amazing tips, and has videos to show you how to do it on YouTube : )
  • sziemba1
    sziemba1 Posts: 34
    Options
    There are many reasons for breaking out -- diet, exercise, hormonal changes as we age. Hard to pinpoint to the root cause. I have had a problem all my life with some level of acne and have seen all kinds of doctors about it. A few years ago I was talking to a friend of mine about it and she had started using Proactive (the stuff advertised on TV infomercials) and loved it. So I tried it. It really works for me too. And I am still a regular user of it and never has my skin been so healthy. That's my 2 cents of advice.
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    I definitely agree with the points on moisturizer. I always HAD acne and used an array of different products (including proactiv) and my skin never horrible but never great. About a year ago I had a facial and the gal said told me about excess oil building up in dry skin. I now use the clinique 3 step, moisturize every morning and evening, and never have issues, except a stray blemish every once in a while (TOM).

At first when I started excercising I did break out a touch, but since then I think that the excercise has improved my skin.
  • jehan
    jehan Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    how about some home remedies?

i used to have major breakouts to the point that it developed into acne. i tried all sorts of toners, cleansers and moisturizers. But the only thing that worked for me were fresh lemons. Every morning, I cut a piece of lemon and rubbed it all over my face and let it dry for e few minutes then I rinse it off. I repeat also at night. In just few weeks my pimples were gone. it is full of vitamin c which is anti-oxidant and also whitenig which cleared the blemishes.

It's cheaper and safe.
  • sparklergirl8
    Options
    Wow!! Thank you for all the great advice! I will definitely be heading to the store tomorrow!! :o)
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    When I first started working out my face had a bunch of breakouts, but they cleared up naturally. I think it might have been my body kind of detoxing. I just make sure to wash my face with an expholiator (I use the generic form of St. Ive's Apricot scrub). I'll still have an occasional blemish, but nothing bad.
  • dontpanic1984
    dontpanic1984 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Also, BC powder (the headache medicine), mixed with honey to form a paste works great as a mask once a week for about 10 minutes. smear it on, wait, rinse it off. if you're allergic to aspirin, caffeine, or honey, don't use this (durh, right). also, if you're pregnant or breastfeedng or have asthma or a bleeding problem, it might be best to avoid rubbing excess aspirin on yourself. don't get it in your eyes. i don't know what it would do, it just sounds like a bad idea. aspirin works great as a topical to fight acne. it's made of salicylic acid, which is an active ingredient in a lot of expensive acne treatments. i do this and it makes my skin soooo smooth.

you can also get a tomato and cut the top off. take the slice that you cut off the top (like a little hat) and dip the cut end in granulated sugar. use it like you're buffing your face, re-dipping in sugar as needed. it exfoliates and the tomato is full of antioxidants that are extremely good for your skin. rinse the tomatoey stuff off your face. eat the part of the tomato that you didn't rub on your face.

hope this helps. it's cheap too.
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    I have had acne all my life. Well since I was about 11 any way. I am allergic to benzoyl peroxide so a lot of acne treatments do not work for me. I tried Murad because it used salicylic acid instead. It was $80 and worked a little. I have recently started using St. Ives Apricot scrub. At first not much improvement but once I combined it with Clean & Clear's oil free lotion with salicylic acid I have noticed an improvement. I have also stopped eating fast food. I think that may have something to do with it too. I take magnesium for my migraines but recently I have switched to a combo pill of Calcium, Magnesium & Zinc. Zinc is supposed to help with acne. I am also drinking more water. I went from 0 glasses a day to three. Now I am at 6 a day. Water helps everything. I also have been taking vitamin C which is also good for everything. I hope this helps! Oh and the apricot scrub was like $4 or something I think the oil free lotion was around the same.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I second the cetaphil. It has worked really well for me. You can get the jumbo pack at Costco for pretty cheap and it lasts forever. If it gets to the point that you can't clear it up then I think you may want to try Proactiv. One of my patients told me to try it and it gave me AMAZING skin. I did a lot of hair shows when I was using it and the make-up girls were always commenting on my amazing skin from it. Sounds cheesey but it does work.