Lost 60 LBS, but I Look Like I Lost 15. Anyone Else?

Options
13»

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is start a strength training program like Stronglifts. That plus eating at maintenance with adequate protein will help you tone your body up without losing more.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I'm 5'6 and I weighed 154 before I got pregnant with my third, and I looked good on it (see my profile pic in a blue and white dress). I also get in at least 90g of protein, more most days, in my 1500 calories.

Absolutely do strength training!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of posts recommending strength training

They are right

You need to body recomp

Otherwise you will stay discontented and skinny fat

Do you do any exercise or did you totally buy into just controlling your food intake and don't want to put the strength training into practice
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    A couple protein shakes in-between meals and you're golden. I get 150 plus grams a day and stay under my 1550 cal goal.

I agree. Many want to avoid protein power but it is a good way to get your protein without eating a cow when you are short on time. I just got some Casein so it last for 7 hours vs 3 hours for whey version so it is there all night. I am a fat burner and since 50% of protein can go to glucose I have to make sure and watch my protein or it can knock me out of nutritional ketosis.

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You can easily get protein in with eggs/egg whites, ham, cottage cheese, chicken, tuna, natural yogurt......
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    fatasfack wrote: »
    astrose00 wrote: »
    flatlndr wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You probably look better than you think, lol.

I do know the pain of losing a lot and not looking like you thought you would at that point. Partly loose skin, partly age. The last time I weighed this amount, I was like 20 years old, lol. I cannot expect to look now like I did then!

If muscle is a big concern, lift weights or do bodyweight stuff. It's good for your bones, too. :)
    It's true. I had to lose 100 pound before I started feeling like I've lost enough weight to make a difference in my look, and even now I feel myself to be fatter than I used to be in 2002, when I was 15 pounds higher than I am now.

You can't choose where your fat melts first, so it may just be the case of losing fat from areas that you tend not to pay attention to. Just keep at it and you will eventually get to a point where you start noticing a difference.

It's good to hear that someone had the same issue. Unfotunately, I'm 15 pounds away from being underweight, so if I don't look right in 15 lbs, I'm stuck this way for the rest of my life. Also, If I lose those 15 lbs, my daily calorie max will be 1900 which is pretty tough to maintain for a guy who is 6 feet tall. I'm afraid I'm probably stuck this way forever

If you're 6 ft tall, yet weigh 154, and think you look fleshy, then strength training + hitting protein targets seems like the combo for you. For reference, I'm 5'10 and 174, currently at maintenance. I plan to drop a final 5-10 after the holidays (I needed take a break from weight loss after dropping 105 in 8 months), but getting down to 154 would be too light for me. I'm guessing you're suffering from being "skinny fat" at the moment, so hitting the weights should help readjust your body composition.

I was going to say the same thing ("skinny fat"). I don't think it's in the OP's head that he was smaller when he was heavier. It seems that he's lost a bit of lean muscle and now his bodyfat % is probably higher.

OP, you said you're starving and you are less than pleased with your body image. Virtually every poster has explained why that is and what will help you. The answer is obvious from your original post. There's really not an alternative. I see a lot of people on here say that you should not eliminate foods from your diet (e.g., because diets don't work, but lifestyle changes do...). I believe for some (or most?) people that is true. The other thing they say is that you can eat any food but "in moderation". Meaning, not as much. But not that it's not just about the calories in/out. Yes, you will lose weight with a caloric deficit. But it's about the macros as well. I'm pretty sure everyone on here would agree with that. Protein helps satiate hunger, helps repair/maintain/build muscle and also doesn't get stored in the body as fat (e.g., like carbs do). I think you should research how your body uses macronutrients and tailor your eating to what your goals are. There's a wealth of info on here and the internet. If you want to look lean/tight you need to lower bodyfat, do strength training and eat enough protein.

Good luck.

Thank you. Unfortunately, I'm really too light to drop much further without looking really ridiculous. I guess I'm stuck this way for life. I wish I would have known this before I got fat.

So the post was just a pity party, as you're not interested in any of the advice you've been given?
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    flatlndr wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You probably look better than you think, lol.

I do know the pain of losing a lot and not looking like you thought you would at that point. Partly loose skin, partly age. The last time I weighed this amount, I was like 20 years old, lol. I cannot expect to look now like I did then!

If muscle is a big concern, lift weights or do bodyweight stuff. It's good for your bones, too. :)
    It's true. I had to lose 100 pound before I started feeling like I've lost enough weight to make a difference in my look, and even now I feel myself to be fatter than I used to be in 2002, when I was 15 pounds higher than I am now.

You can't choose where your fat melts first, so it may just be the case of losing fat from areas that you tend not to pay attention to. Just keep at it and you will eventually get to a point where you start noticing a difference.

It's good to hear that someone had the same issue. Unfotunately, I'm 15 pounds away from being underweight, so if I don't look right in 15 lbs, I'm stuck this way for the rest of my life. Also, If I lose those 15 lbs, my daily calorie max will be 1900 which is pretty tough to maintain for a guy who is 6 feet tall. I'm afraid I'm probably stuck this way forever

If you're 6 ft tall, yet weigh 154, and think you look fleshy, then strength training + hitting protein targets seems like the combo for you. For reference, I'm 5'10 and 174, currently at maintenance. I plan to drop a final 5-10 after the holidays (I needed take a break from weight loss after dropping 105 in 8 months), but getting down to 154 would be too light for me. I'm guessing you're suffering from being "skinny fat" at the moment, so hitting the weights should help readjust your body composition.

I was going to say the same thing ("skinny fat"). I don't think it's in the OP's head that he was smaller when he was heavier. It seems that he's lost a bit of lean muscle and now his bodyfat % is probably higher.

OP, you said you're starving and you are less than pleased with your body image. Virtually every poster has explained why that is and what will help you. The answer is obvious from your original post. There's really not an alternative. I see a lot of people on here say that you should not eliminate foods from your diet (e.g., because diets don't work, but lifestyle changes do...). I believe for some (or most?) people that is true. The other thing they say is that you can eat any food but "in moderation". Meaning, not as much. But not that it's not just about the calories in/out. Yes, you will lose weight with a caloric deficit. But it's about the macros as well. I'm pretty sure everyone on here would agree with that. Protein helps satiate hunger, helps repair/maintain/build muscle and also doesn't get stored in the body as fat (e.g., like carbs do). I think you should research how your body uses macronutrients and tailor your eating to what your goals are. There's a wealth of info on here and the internet. If you want to look lean/tight you need to lower bodyfat, do strength training and eat enough protein.

Good luck.

Thank you. Unfortunately, I'm really too light to drop much further without looking really ridiculous. I guess I'm stuck this way for life. I wish I would have known this before I got fat.

You don't need to drop any more weight. Bring your protein up as suggested, adjust your fats and carbs appropriately to fit your total intake, and start lifting. I think I noted earlier that I lost an inch around my waist in the last couple months, without losing a pound ... and also added a good bit of arm/shoulder/chest definition. That happened via lifting. Give it a go. I think you'll be pleased with the outcome.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You will never look the same as you did before you gained weight, so it serves no purpose to compare. Though you would have lost some muscle, it is unlikely that you lost 60lbs of muscle. If you did, you would probably be dead rather than reading this.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I honestly do think you will look different but are maybe struggling to see it. Could you put the pics up maybe?

For what its worth I have lost 21lbs so far and gone down two sizes but can not see it. In fact I thought I looked worse than ever in an outfit the other day, it took someone else to tell me otherwise.

Great job on losing 60lbs..your heart and body are celebrating :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Revamp your diet, up your protein and decrease your carbs, and start lifting.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    You have a skewed body image. Accept yourself as you are now. We all get older and change just a bit.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    T
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Do you eat enough/enough protein? Also, seconding the heavy lifting.

I have eaten at least 40 grams of protein a day. The first month of weight loss I ate probably 10 grams and lost 20 lbs. After that month I've averaged about 40.

you should be getting about 130-150 g of protein a day, not 40 grams.

Whoa, If I aimed for that much I would never have lost a pound. If a chicken breast is about 40 grams of protein and about 400 calories without skin then I would have to eat 4 of those just to meet that requirement. Doesn't that seem excessive?

NOPE
    You need to maintain muscle and it sounds like, as I already mentioned you need to build muscle. You need protein. I'm 135 5'3ish and I try to get 130-150 g of protein a day.

I will try to get more then. I applaud you for being able to get that much without going over your calorie limit. That's really impressive to have that much control over what you eat. I have no control, hence why I gained 60 lbs in the first place.

Two words... Greek yogurt. High protein and the calories are not too bad. I get the Trader Joe's version as the calories are reasonable and the sodium is lower than other brands.

This is what my breakfast "smoothie" looks like, and I get more protein from it than you do in a whole day.

6sllsWi.png

Also chicken and fresh shrimp are good sources for protein for me (the frozen shrimp is too high in sodium).
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What the heck is going on in here? I'm skinny fat, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it, so I'll always be skinny fat, WAHH feel bad for me!

Is that what's going on here?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    What the heck is going on in here? I'm skinny fat, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it, so I'll always be skinny fat, WAHH feel bad for me!

Is that what's going on here?

Pretty much sums it up.
  • FitCattitude
    FitCattitude Posts: 64 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You'd find your mood would really lift through lifting weights, and eating more protein (thus not the misery of being hungry and feeling you're going without all the time). If it's miserable going to a gym, get your own home gym and an exercise bike, put some great music or telly on, and have fun with it! Or go to the gym and meet some new people, and get some great support in learning to lift right.

To lose so much weight, you need to be celebrating more and feel proud of yourself. Job and relationship stuff will happen, but not if you're really down all the time. Enjoy your achievement and the fresh challenges now, and get any support you need too, that cheers you up.