New female lifter

Options
Hello! I'd like to begin a lifting routine, but I am overwhelmed when I see all of the different programs to choose from. I would love to lose about 10 lbs. and really tone up for the most part. I tried Stronglifts at the beginning of the year, but didn't get serious with it and didn't feel like I had good form. There are some programs that are 5 days a week but shorter workouts and there are some that are three days a week but longer workouts. Any advice at all would be so great!

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Well, Stronglifts is pretty basic and full body workouts tend to be recommended for beginners overall. Find one that fits your goals and schedule is really the only advice to go with it seems.

Other programs besides Stronglifts you could look into -

ICF 5x5
    AllPros Beginner Program
    Strong Curves
    NROLFW
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like stronglifts 5x5. If you feel like your form wasn't good, lower the weight and concentrate on performing each move properly. Good form is more important than lifting heavier. Once you learn how to do each lift properly and safely, your strength will improve and you can increase the weight. Along with stronglifts, I also do some accessory work with lighter dumbbells.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You can look into 5, 3, 1. It's a more intermediate setup, but has good results, but stronglifts, or starting strength are great beginner programs.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    JoshD8705 wrote: »
    You can look into 5, 3, 1. It's a more intermediate setup, but has good results, but stronglifts, or starting strength are great beginner programs.

Although on 531 you'd likely need to change the rep scheme while in a deficit, mostly due to lower recovery/energy (I've tried doing hypertrophy range while in a defciit.... oi, no). I did do Wendler for maybe a few weeks but I wound up switching to a generic ABA BAB full body workout. I do think I'll switch to Wendler again in 2015 though, since I do think I prefer the upper/lower split.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You say you didn't get serious with 5x5 because of poor form, what makes you think you will magically have good form with other programmes?

5x5 is probably one of the best starting strength programmes out there so is worth investing time in either, repeating the movements with empty bars for however long it takes to feel confident that you got it. Or, ask a trainer to watch and correct you until you are confident with it.

I found trying to match the progression as per the app didn't work for me. So I have a notebook and only go up in weight when I feel ready to. (I try not to let myself stay at the same weight for longer than 2 days of successfully completing the sets)

For example bench press; it has taken me 4 days (only counting the days I do BP) to get to the point where I am able to do my 5 sets unassisted. I will allow myself no more than 2 more days of repeating this before moving up in weight. This helps with my confidence in doing the moves and gets me mentally ready to move up in weight.

Sorry if this post comes across a little harsh, but your reason for stopping 5x5 is an excuse, plain an simple. Change is hard, change takes work. You owe it to yourself to make the change because you are worth it! Believe it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You say you didn't get serious with 5x5 because of poor form, what makes you think you will magically have good form with other programmes?

5x5 is probably one of the best starting strength programmes out there so is worth investing time in either, repeating the movements with empty bars for however long it takes to feel confident that you got it. Or, ask a trainer to watch and correct you until you are confident with it.

I found trying to match the progression as per the app didn't work for me. So I have a notebook and only go up in weight when I feel ready to. (I try not to let myself stay at the same weight for longer than 2 days of successfully completing the sets)

For example bench press; it has taken me 4 days (only counting the days I do BP) to get to the point where I am able to do my 5 sets unassisted. I will allow myself no more than 2 more days of repeating this before moving up in weight. This helps with my confidence in doing the moves and gets me mentally ready to move up in weight.

Sorry if this post comes across a little harsh, but your reason for stopping 5x5 is an excuse, plain an simple. Change is hard, change takes work. You owe it to yourself to make the change because you are worth it! Believe it.

All of this.
  • llfretwell
    llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the feedback! I don't necessarily mean that I'm looking for another program BECAUSE I had bad form on 5x5. I'm just ready to give lifting another shot and was just curious as to if there was another beginners program that anyone preferred besides 5x5. I think I'm going to give SL another shot but go much slower to work on my form. I know that was my problem last time.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    5 x 5 for me.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    That is great to hear. The other beginner programme that gets a lot of cover on the forum is the book New Rules of Lifting for Women (nrolfw). I haven't tried it as I am happy with 5x5 but I am sure there are others who can tell u a bit more about it.

Best of luck with it all. :)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    go to bodybuilders.com, sign up, pick a level and pick a workout routine. there is beginner, intermediate, etc. Pick one and do it and you will see. 5/3/1 is a little confusing for a newbie.
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    llfretwell wrote: »
    and didn't feel like I had good form.

Sorry if someone else has said it, but if you can afford just one training session so someone who knows what they're doing can check your form, it'll help with that and make you feel more confident going forward with whatever programme you choose.