Best Protein Powders???

Options
2»

Replies

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    OP you don't mention what your goal is for using protein powder? I'm going to assume to maintain or help with weight loss. I believe VicLoveVic was wondering the same so here is my opinion.

Dymatize Elite GOURMET (most flavor selection) or Dymatize Elite XT are both protein blends and taste really good. They both consist of a Whey/Casein Blend. This will not only feed your muscles throughout the day being a blend, but it will also help you feel more satiated.

Both products you can get for less than $25 for a 2lb tub at Bodybuilding.com / Amazon.com.

I hope this helps.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Trutein.... nothing else tastes as good. You can get samples on their website.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Trutein.... nothing else tastes as good. You can get samples on their website.

Trutein is a good value and quality and it tastes amazing. I am currently taking the milk chocolate Wheyology by Trutein.
  • Rinny73
    Options
    VicLoveVic wrote: »
    VicLoveVic wrote: »
    So, for protien beginers like I and the person whom posted this question....what is the best powder recommended for weight loss? Im curious to hear how those who have been drinking it for awhile lost weight etc pros and cons?

No protein powder is for weight loss, because it adds calories....Protein powder is to supply you with extra protein so you can hit your macro goals for the day

Ive been curios about the calories as well. Ive read different things about protien powder, I guess im a little confused. What about Body by Vi and Shakeology? Are they not to help with weight loss? Along with exercise , watching what I eat etc, im already doing that.

Yea don't waste your money on that stuff, honestly its just another scam. As long as your eating in a deficit and exercising you will lose the weight just fine. If you aren't hitting your protein goal every day, and can't stand to eat another piece of chicken, or egg, or whatever protein source you rely on - then shakes are the way to go. I use my shakes to kill my chocolate cravings and hit my protein goals. its a win win :)

Wow, this just answered a question I had. Thanks for this.
  • Rachael_Isobel
    Options
    Wow! That's awesome that you dod that! I wonder if u could/woild share the spread sheet on here? Thanks for the feed back!
    do I really need to shell out $130 + for for just 30 servings?

This may sound like a really nutrition-geek thing to say but I actually made a spreadsheet and listed brands of protein powders from my favourite online supplement store and then sorted them by pounds, cost, and then calculated the best bang for my buck. I managed to get an unflavoured protein powder for as low price per pound as the seriously bulk powders were offered at.

You may find that worth doing at least once so that you know what is generally a good price in your area.

This may sound like a really nutrition-geek thing to say but I actually made a spreadsheet and listed brands of protein powders from my favourite online supplement store and then sorted them by pounds, cost, and then calculated the best bang for my buck. I managed to get an unflavoured protein powder for as low price per pound as the seriously bulk powders were offered at.

You may find that worth doing at least once so that you know what is generally a good price in your area.

• Rachael_Isobel
    Options
    This is great info/advice! Thank you!
    I managed to get an unflavoured protein powder for as low price per pound as the seriously bulk powders were offered at.

Spot on. What's 'best' is really dependent on much more than just source/quality- it's also about what's going to fit with you and your needs, whether it's macro wise, for what purpose, whether you want a vegan protein or not, etc etc. I can only comment on my experiences in Australia, but I've recently switched to a company that does bulk powders (WPI and vegan proteins) with simple flavours. I might not be doing the best on flavour range, or on texture, but I'm definitely getting the best bang for my buck as I'm not paying for labels, import fees, or made up nonsense ingredients that have a trademark next to them. Just straight up protein that I can adjust the serving size to suit my needs, and add carbs etc to as I need.

• Rachael_Isobel
    Options
    I know right! I'm pretty sure it was Shakeology brand at that price point. It's a bummer bc I love that they use stevia for sweetener and I hear raves about the quality... bit there is just no way in hell! Lol!

Thanks for the advice!
    $130 for 30 servings??? I didn't know gold was considered a protein.... holy lord. I've never seen it so expensive.

Personally, I use the Optimum Nutrition, and get 26 servings for around $30. I have tried a number of other powders, but ON is by far the best tasting to me. Even though it is still pretty expensive, I can afford it, so that's what I go for.

If my budget was more fixed though, there would be nothing wrong at all with going for one of the $5 flavorless bulk protein options. It is really more about what is in your budget, and what you won't hate to drink. lol

• bruces41
    bruces41 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat meat and dairy so no Vegan, but I started using Vegan Smart All in 1 protein powder. I saw that it also had more fiber than other brands, which I was trying to get also.
  • krissywcox
    krissywcox Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb protein powder is awesome!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I use Heartland Gold Organic - Brown Rice Protein. I have so many food sensitivities (gluten, soy, yeast, msg and a whole load of preservatives) that this is the only option I have been able to find that works well for me. It costs me $75CAD for 3kg (6.6lbs). If you don't have any issues though, Whey would also be another great option.

And to add to the comments about Body by Vi and such. Ever look at the label? I have a problem with a company that advertises themselves as gluten free on the front of their packaging, then on the back writes "Allergen Warning: Manufactured on equipment that processes products containing milk, egg, soybeans, wheat, shellfish, fish oils, tree nuts, and peanut flavor". Makes me wonder what else in their advertising is contradictory. I wouldn't believe anything they promise.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Last month costco had a sale on MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder - cookies n cream. I got a 5 pound tub for $36 (65 servings). I wish I had bought more! It tastes kinda like a milkshake to me and has 25 grams of protein.