guilty about sugar

Options
It's 5 am and I can't sleep because of the guilt i feel about all the sugar I've been eating. I'm on a 3 day weekend with a friend since Friday and I've been eating sugar ever since it started. I feel so guilty. My trainer and other people keep telling me that since I've been on this lifestyle change for so long (1 year) that it should be alot easier to make the right decisions. Not true this weekend. I feel like I've gained 5 lbs at least and feel horrible for it and I still have one more day to go.

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Good news! Sugar doesn't cause weight gain.
    Bad news: eating in excess of your maintenance calories does. A little moderation goes a long way in preventing binges of irrationally forbidden foods.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Good news! Sugar doesn't cause weight gain.
    Bad news: eating in excess of your maintenance calories does. A little moderation goes a long way in preventing binges of irrationally forbidden foods.

Exactly! ^^^^
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Guilt is not generally helpful when it comes to food.

What you ate, you ate. Decide if you want to try and stay on plan the rest of the holiday and eat as you normally do or eat somewhat more indulgently with the result that you might stall your loss this week or even gain a pound and do that. Either is perfectly fine, it's just up to you what you will prefer.

And like others said, it's not the sugar, it's the calories.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you're up at 5am, without sleep, due to worrying about your sugar intake for one day, you have an eating disorder and need to consult with a medical professional in the AM.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    One's morality is simply not best expressed in one's food consumption. While having goals can be a good thing, guilt has no place in one's food intake.

Besides which, the likelihood of you gaining five pounds in a holiday weekend is slight at best. You might be bloated and all, but you almost certainly did not consume 17,500 excess calories.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    geeyanna wrote: »
    It's 5 am and I can't sleep because of the guilt i feel about all the sugar I've been eating. I'm on a 3 day weekend with a friend since Friday and I've been eating sugar ever since it started. I feel so guilty. My trainer and other people keep telling me that since I've been on this lifestyle change for so long (1 year) that it should be alot easier to make the right decisions. Not true this weekend. I feel like I've gained 5 lbs at least and feel horrible for it and I still have one more day to go.

It sounds like the trainer and the other people are treating you like a child and telling you how you should feel about something.
    Own your feelings. Own your actions.
    And tell those other people that you are going to put them on "ignore."