Uneaten allowable calories

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat to within 100 calories of my calorie target. The exercise calories may or may not get eaten back depending on the day and how hungry I feel. If I do, it averages to about 50% of them.
  • GoBrianGo
    GoBrianGo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I keep an eye on calories and carbohydrates. This is a tip from the diabetic crowd. Yesterday, for the first time in recent memory, I left food on my plate. I was full. What a pleasant surprise. When still eating to stuff myself I never left a crumb.
    Maybe you are in a shifting phase, wandering your way to a new normal.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I eat all my calories, but not necessarily within the same day. I eat randomly, depending on my hunger, feelings, and preferences. I could eat 1000 calories one day, for example, and not be hungry. In that case I just finish the day without eating all my calories, and put the extra ones "in the bank" because I know there will be a day when I may be craving some things that are higher in calories and those banked calories might be exactly what I need. I could also eat all the calories, and then some - deep into the red! In this case I "borrow from the bank" and make up for it on days I don't feel like eating much.

I'm 100 pounds lighter, so apparently random eating without ever being hungry or sulking over something I can't have works best for me.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Can I just say how much I love all you reasonable MFP folks?!! I mean I just really, really love you all. :smiley: I thought the same as OP at first, but quickly saw that people like you were losing weight by eating a lot more than I thought I could because of all the dumb diets I'd ever been on that said I couldn't eat over 1200 cals/day!
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    At the end of the day, the one who loses weight whilst eating the most calories, wins!

I don't believe in self-flagellation

+1

I'll third that notion.
  • cwlsr
    cwlsr Posts: 71 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I will keep it short! MFP allows you to adjust your lifestyle if you are willing to make the adjustments. If done properly you can eat more and still lose weight and not be hungry. Eat three balanced meals, at least 2 small snacks between meals and drink the 8 cups of water to flush your kidneys of the fat that you are burning. Log and measure everything. If you are eating out then check the nutrition tables on the internet for the type of food you will be eating and log it. If you stay below the calorie count that MFP provides for you by a small margin then will accomplish your objective. A healthy life style can be fun. The best to you in your desire to become healthy. Diets don't last forever but a healthy life style change does.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, the one who loses weight whilst eating the most calories, wins!

Really? What do they win?

At the end of the day, the food a person eats should be what is required to fuel their activities. In order to lose weight, a person must eat less than what is consumed by their activities, so the body is forced to use the fat that has been stored for future use.

Sanity :smile:
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    fnub wrote: »
    I do feel hungry most of the time. But I just tell myself that's the feeling of losing weight. It seems to work.

If you're hungry most of the time, you're not eating enough calories and maintaining your calorie deficit will be difficult in the long term.

• Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Really? What do they win?

At the end of the day, the food a person eats should be what is required to fuel their activities. In order to lose weight, a person must eat less than what is consumed by their activities, so the body is forced to use the fat that has been stored for future use.

Sanity :smile:

And their muscles.

Your body will eat both fat and muscle when in a calorie deficit. It doesn't know the difference. Eat too little and you'll lose more muscle. And muscle burns fat, so you want to keep as much of it as possible if you want to lose weight. That's why you'll see so many recommendations to 'lift heavy' on here, or at least do some strength training exercises.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'll share a different experience... I have been doing this since Jan. 1, 2014 (with about 6 weeks off in late April-May due to health issues).

I still feel hungry every single day. I eat back all of my exercise calories, and target 0.5 lbs./week (this doesn't happen every week, but over a long period of time, it is not far off).

Some people will tell me I'm "not dieting right." I've tried different tactics within a deficit to feel more full - lots of water, lots of low-density foods (lettuce and spinach), LCHF, Paleo (which turns out to be practically LCHF). It doesn't matter what I do, I will be hungry.

In order to not be hungry, I find that I need to eat 3,000-5,000 calories per day (more if I exercise, as that tends to make me hungrier). Is it sustainable to continue to be hungry? Yes in the mid-term, no in the long-term. Everyone tells me that as I continue to lose weight and eat less, I'll eventually become less hungry. I restarted June 1 and it is now Dec. 1... how much longer will it take? The answer is: While it may work for some people to just lose weight and automatically become less hungry, that is not how it works for all of us. Rather than try to keep telling myself that I will someday be able to lose or maintain weight without being hungry, I feel it is better to acknowledge and accept the reality that I must choose between being obese or being uncomfortable. As far as being unsustainable in the long-term, I intend to hold my weight down as long as I can stand... hopefully that will be a few years at least.

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of responses telling me that I am wrong and that I'm not really hungry or that I am not doing something right. Just know that I have heard it all before and know it doesn't work so well for everyone.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'll share a different experience... I have been doing this since Jan. 1, 2014 (with about 6 weeks off in late April-May due to health issues).

I still feel hungry every single day. I eat back all of my exercise calories, and target 0.5 lbs./week (this doesn't happen every week, but over a long period of time, it is not far off).

Some people will tell me I'm "not dieting right." I've tried different tactics within a deficit to feel more full - lots of water, lots of low-density foods (lettuce and spinach), LCHF, Paleo (which turns out to be practically LCHF). It doesn't matter what I do, I will be hungry.

In order to not be hungry, I find that I need to eat 3,000-5,000 calories per day (more if I exercise, as that tends to make me hungrier). Is it sustainable to continue to be hungry? Yes in the mid-term, no in the long-term. Everyone tells me that as I continue to lose weight and eat less, I'll eventually become less hungry. I restarted June 1 and it is now Dec. 1... how much longer will it take? The answer is: While it may work for some people to just lose weight and automatically become less hungry, that is not how it works for all of us. Rather than try to keep telling myself that I will someday be able to lose or maintain weight without being hungry, I feel it is better to acknowledge and accept the reality that I must choose between being obese or being uncomfortable. As far as being unsustainable in the long-term, I intend to hold my weight down as long as I can stand... hopefully that will be a few years at least.

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of responses telling me that I am wrong and that I'm not really hungry or that I am not doing something right. Just know that I have heard it all before and know it doesn't work so well for everyone.

You look like a classic case that may benefit from intermittent fasting. Since you are hungry anyway, why not be hungry on just some days while enjoying your 3000 calories on others? You may want to look into "the every other day diet". I do it when I happen to go through hungry phases and it works alright for me.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I almost always eat to within 100 calories of my calorie target. The exercise calories may or may not get eaten back depending on the day and how hungry I feel. If I do, it averages to about 50% of them.

BTW: I have lost 75 lb so far. I am aiming for a loss of 1 lb a week and am actually averaging closer to 1.3 lb a week so this is working out just fine and dandy for me. At my weight, I could safely lose as much as 2 lb a week but I want to get the habits ingrained into my brain so I am going slower but have leeway to make sure I am fueling my body and not feeling hunger, but still at a deficit.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    fnub wrote: »
    If you want to lose weight, it seems simple enough. Calories in VS calories out. Some people are saying that I should those daily uneaten calories. But to me it just seems like extra calories that you'd eventually have to get rid of. I do feel hungry most of the time. But I just tell myself that's the feeling of losing weight. It seems to work.

So which type are you? Do you eat only a portion of your calories or do you consume them all? And do you eat the red ones last ;-)

I try to stay at my net calories for maintenance, which means I eat most of my exercise calories back.

I don't understand what you mean by, "And do you eat the red ones last?" Can you please explain, because when my calorie count is red it means I've went over my daily allotment. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Nope.

youre-doing-great.jpg

It sounds like you are slowly taking control of your eating habits and being patient, tolerant and kind with yourself and your process. That's what's most important.

Weight loss is a process and everybody does it differently. It took me YEARS to get this weight loss thing down, and I've finally arrived at a place where I lost my weight and have been maintaining for a year. It wasn't easy, but it seems easy now that I've got all the good habits down.

• DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    on a normal day i eat about 1200 calories. If iam hungry more in that day. I eat half my workout calories or all of them usually only landing me between 1385-1550 calories at most
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    If I work out, I eat them all. If I don't work out, I'm okay staying a hundred or so under.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I try and eat all of them, Mind you I do not use the numbers MFP spits out for exercise as my machines in my home gym give me numbers 50% less then the ones on here.
    This is me too. Although there are days when I'm less hungry so I don't eat all of my allotted calories, knowing full well I will make it up another day. The 50% rule for exercise cals has been working for me unless it's something I use my HRM for, in which case I eat back closer to 75%.

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. I'm a stress eater, so I typically eat more when I'm at work.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

You look like a classic case that may benefit from intermittent fasting. Since you are hungry anyway, why not be hungry on just some days while enjoying your 3000 calories on others? You may want to look into "the every other day diet". I do it when I happen to go through hungry phases and it works alright for me.

That or you need more protein, which is the only "diet" you didn't mention. Protein helps a great deal with satiety. Or your macro balance was not good for you - e.g. I need to eat low in carbs for my first 2 meals (out of 3 or 4 depending on the calorie allotment) otherwise I'm hungry all day. Unfortunately I might be too high carb for lunch but I was rushing and just grabbed bar things.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I won't allow my intake to drop below the minimum, 1,200 calories a day. If I am too low I will have a glass of juice in the evening. Some of my partners in weight loss have experienced extreme symptoms from not eating enough, including hair loss. I like my hair. I like my muscles and my strength. I am going to do this safely.