Sedentary

Options
I'm 5'4 female 24 years old. 105ish lb
If I spent the entire day in bed m, hypothetically 1500 cal would not make me gain?

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Not sure I want to touch this one....
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Not sure I want to touch this one....

don't make eye contact, just back away slowly.
  • hummingbirdhope
    hummingbirdhope Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    ??
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Um..
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Are you asking if that's your bmr...?
  • pipocas05
    pipocas05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it is supposed to be the weight x10. Hypothetically it would be 1050 calories, but that is without taking any exercise into account. Since getting out of bed is not considered exercise, but is considered part of a sedentary lifestyle (notice under "goals" it said "spends most of the day sitting", not all day laying down), I would say you are SOL if you think that will fly. Just sayin....
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    um...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Depends - what you are doing in bed?
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    At 5'9 170 if I sit at my computer on a gaming binge I burn about 1800, I would assume that if I were actually laying down it would go down considerably... If I didn't get up at all I'm pretty sure it would go down further... and I have you by 60 pounds, 7 inches, and probably higher muscle mass as I have a physical job which keeps me burning around 3500 calories a day.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

meow
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    OP, you should totally ask your doctor.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

LOL ^^This^^
  • lachas13
    Options
    B)
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    If I spent the entire day in bed m, hypothetically 1500 cal would not make me gain?

Are you looking for your BMR? If so, you can use an online BMR calculator. Here's the one I use:

http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/

Using your info, your BMR is 1300. That's what you would burn doing nothing but laying in bed all day. However, since none of us do that, you ought to look at your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). If you are generally sedentary, that number is 1560 calories. If you're looking to maintain (since this is the maintenance forum) then you should be eating at least that much every day - more if you are exercising.
  • maria0elisa
    maria0elisa Posts: 199 Member
    Options

Hi, we have the exact same age and stats! I'm going to be maintaining from mid-Jan 2015, hopefully at 105-110lbs. I'm going to aim for 1550 cals a day which is the same as your bmr. Mind if I add you? :)
  • maria0elisa
    maria0elisa Posts: 199 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Are you looking for your BMR? If so, you can use an online BMR calculator. Here's the one I use:

Using your info, your BMR is 1300. That's what you would burn doing nothing but laying in bed all day. However, since none of us do that, you ought to look at your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). If you are generally sedentary, that number is 1560 calories. If you're looking to maintain (since this is the maintenance forum) then you should be eating at least that much every day - more if you are exercising.

Hi jeff, thanks a lot for posting this link. I'm new to maintenance and had never heard of BMR, so I found it v useful.
    Luckily, at loss I was eating 1350 which is what the BMR calculator recommended for loss based on my sedentary lifestyle (and what you described based on the hypothetical "lying in bed all day" scenario... I sit in the house all day studying at the moment so it's really not that different!)

My BMR for maintenance is exactly the same as what MFP recommends, so I'm happy to be starting out on the right track!

How many cals per day do you maintain at?

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    i deleted my post
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on doing this? The results will be interesting.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Welcome to life, everybody has lazy days and sick days and me days where they stay home all day you most likely won't gain any weight.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    amy0louise wrote: »

Hi jeff, thanks a lot for posting this link. I'm new to maintenance and had never heard of BMR, so I found it v useful.
    Luckily, at loss I was eating 1350 which is what the BMR calculator recommended for loss based on my sedentary lifestyle (and what you described based on the hypothetical "lying in bed all day" scenario... I sit in the house all day studying at the moment so it's really not that different!)

My BMR for maintenance is exactly the same as what MFP recommends, so I'm happy to be starting out on the right track!

How many cals per day do you maintain at?

Hey Amy. Sorry, I just now saw this post. At 6'4" and 182 pounds, I maintain at ~2300 calories per day. I have a desk job and am not generally active outside of the gym, so I use the sedentary activity level and log my exercise.

You should be eating at TDEE, not BMR. If you're generally sedentary, use the sedentary activity level TDEE as your calorie level to maintain.