Bone Density - so frustrated

Options
Tomorrow I have an appointment with a bone doctor because my gynecologist thought my bone density test warranted it.

I do regular weight bearing exercises (and have for a few years), take calcium supplements and eat calcium rich foods.

My last bone density showed a 5% chance of breaking a hip and a 28% possibility of osteoporosis. I'm going, but I think this is an extreme reaction.

Also, its frustrating to have been doing all the right stuff and have it be not working well.

Replies

• Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Have they checked your vitamin D levels? That's a crucial component too, and easy to fix if you have a deficiency.

Edited due to stupid autocorrect
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I had a DEXA scan, and it gives you a bone density rating against a rather large sample. What test did they take that gave specific numbers for a hip break and osteo? That's odd to me.

I'd say, talk to your doc, can't ever be too safe, and get a dexa scan if you can. That I think is far more useful data.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Have they checked your vitamin D levels? That's a crucial component too, and easy to fix if you have a deficiency.

Edited due to stupid autocorrect

And if you're supplementing calcium, supplement D with it.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Please do not supplement without doing a good amount of research first.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/calcium-supplements-and-heart-attacks-more-data-more-questions/
  • dbmata
    Options
    What specifically are your trying to claim from that link?
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    What specifically are your trying to claim from that link?

Not a thing.
    I just enjoy when people are given the opportunity to think for themselves rather than listen to other members telling them WHAT to think.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Ok, so it's a random link thrown out for no specific reason. Nice.
  • reggia09
    reggia09 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's not whether or not you take calcium, but are you absorbing it? Magnesium and Vit D (as pointed out above) is also helpful for calcium absorption. Also, I'm starting to see more and more recommendations suggesting Vit K2 is critical to ensure that calcium goes to your bones and not to your arteries.

Hope the doctor visit goes well!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I might have a spine fracture. I might not. I had an x-ray to see. My bone density overall other than that is good and she reduced my calcium supplement intake to 900 from 1200/day. I have to get a blood test and 24 hour urine test tomorrow
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My mum had a similair diagnosis to you last year - tested by dexa. She started strength training (at my suggestion (harassment)). Everything I read suggests you can slows the deterioration and sometimes very slightly improve density with heavy resistance training so it sounds like you're doing all the right things. Even if your bone density is low you'll be doing great things for your balance, which drastically reduces the risk of fractures.

Just an aside, as it may be something worth asking about, the reason for her osteopenia and osteoporosis was a disfunctioning parathyroid which had to be removed (before we started the weights). They tested her blood and her calcium levels were very high as it wasn't being absorbed properly. The tests she's had done since surgery suggests success but we won't know if the weights have made an improvement till she gets her follow up dexa (in about 6 months).

Hopefully I'm not scaremongering, I think it's pretty normal for bone density to deteriorate in women from as early as 35, so it's maybe just one of those things. I'd just get the tests your doctor wants you to, to be on the safe side.