Breathing while jogging

Options

Replies

• Angel03744
    Angel03744 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I find my nose runs also, I've put it down to a raise in tempreture, and the fact we breat faster when running.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I find my nose runs also, I've put it down to a raise in tempreture, and the fact we breat faster when running.
    [/quote

I thought it was the colder weather, but even in warmer weather, I still sniff constantly while trying to breathe...lol
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

So, some time ago my husband and I decided to run a 10k (the first one for me). I've been training like crazy, but I'm having issues with my breathing. I have read forums and tried everything: 5 short breaths and a long one, breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth... no matter what I do I always end-up gassy :laugh: and with abdominal pains.

What are your breathing tips while running? Has this ever happened to you? I'm fearing this might have to do with the fact that I am still overweight :cry: and I hope that's not the problem because I'm supposed to run on June 9th and I'm getting pretty anxious.

Thanks in advance!

Yoga. I practice pranayama breathing which helps in other types of workoits as well. Also helps with stress relief.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine who works in sports medicine and regularly runs 5k in under 24 mins told me her secret and it seems to work for me. She said don't worry about the the feet and what steps you take or anything like that. Her solution is 2 short breaths in through both the nose and the mouth and one long breath out. All you need to do it keep telling yourself "in, In, Out, In, In, Out"

Try and get those two short breaths down into your stomach and really push the out breath to clear your lungs.

I've noticed that when my HR is high, if I do as she says it drops my HR quite quickly.

Try it and see if it works.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    About the sniffles; warning - may gross out a few people...

About a half mile to a mile in, I have to "fire both barrels". I hold one nostril closed and snort hard out the other, blasting the contents out. Then I do the other. I time it to be aiming for a sewer grate if I can or at least a natural area or bush where no one is likely to walk soon. I have to do this again every couple of miles. Sometimes I do need to wipe my nose and some will end up on the shirt. I arrive home with a sweat soaked short anyway, so this is not a big deal to me. If this bothers you too much, carry a rag. But if you sniffle all through the run it will definitely mess up your breathing. Problems like that must be dealt with.
  • IHeart90s
    IHeart90s Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your abdominal pains are not side stitches?

Exactly, side stitches! I had no idea what the propper term was, sorry!
  • IHeart90s
    Options
    I breath though my mouth and nose at the same time. I needs the O2! I don't worry so much about any sort of breathing pace. If I get side stitches I then exhale on the non hurting side.

Are you slouching forward when you run? I push my shoulders back a bit and slightly lean ahead. If you are crunched up some bad breathing things might happen.

Mmm will definitely pay attention to the slouching! I'm thinking I probably do since I tend to hunch a little bit
  • IHeart90s
    Options
    A little further clarification - when I said "If you are panting", I meant "If you have to pant". Not a minor difference; most people will breathe harder than they really have to when they first start running.

I know, I read a post yesterday about running that said one should be able to speak in complete sentences while running, and I have to say it discouraged me a little bit. I would have to speak in sign language LOL... I will take into account what you said about the pace anyways!
  • IHeart90s
    Options
    About the sniffles: I get them too, but I've struggled with rhinitis and sinusitis all my life! And I've noticed I always get a runny nose whenever I start training after a looooong period of inactivity. It might be related to the fact that breathing during exercise is more intense than during normal activity.

Anyways THANK YOU ALL so very very much for your replies! Tomorrow's training day, so I will definitely give your tips a try! :flowerforyou:
  • IHeart90s
    Options
    I can't get the breathing thing down either. In my head it feels like I sound like the Hulk having an orgasm. I start feeling like I can't catch my breath. I feel great after my runs and feel like I could've went alot further if it wasn't for that whole having to breath crap.

^THIS!!! LOL! I sometimes catch people looking at me funny, between the gasses and the orgasmic Hulk I can't say that I blame them
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I find I am breathing pretty good, but I get a runny nose when I run...anyone know why this happens?

I do that. It could be nasal polyps. It could just happen. However, it means that I have to mouth breath through most of my run.

For the OP, you might want to slow down a little if you're struggling with breathing. You should definitely be able to recite the entire Pledge of Allegiance easily on most runs.

You also might want to get checked for asthma. I never knew I had it, but after going on the Advair inhaler, I have found exercise a lot easier and more productive.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

About a half mile to a mile in, I have to "fire both barrels". I hold one nostril closed and snort hard out the other, blasting the contents out. Then I do the other. I time it to be aiming for a sewer grate if I can or at least a natural area or bush where no one is likely to walk soon. I have to do this again every couple of miles. Sometimes I do need to wipe my nose and some will end up on the shirt. I arrive home with a sweat soaked short anyway, so this is not a big deal to me. If this bothers you too much, carry a rag. But if you sniffle all through the run it will definitely mess up your breathing. Problems like that must be dealt with.

I do this too. Fact of life.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

Yep. Most runners do. I've learned that "snot rockets" are very common in the running world. :laugh:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

So, some time ago my husband and I decided to run a 10k (the first one for me). I've been training like crazy, but I'm having issues with my breathing. I have read forums and tried everything: 5 short breaths and a long one, breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth... no matter what I do I always end-up gassy :laugh: and with abdominal pains.

What are your breathing tips while running? Has this ever happened to you? I'm fearing this might have to do with the fact that I am still overweight :cry: and I hope that's not the problem because I'm supposed to run on June 9th and I'm getting pretty anxious.

Thanks in advance!

I'm a fatty and I run. It's not from being fat, it's from overthinking it, if I had to put money on something.

Now, this might not work for you, but swimming has done a lot for my breathing while running. A LOT. You can't constantly gulp down air while swimming, which keeps you really monitoring that as a resource, while also modulating your effort so you stay in a place where you can put out as much energy as you can fuel with oxygen.

Have you also tried using an HRM? If you keep your heart rate in certain ranges you might be slower but breathing will be easier and you can train longer distances, which will increase your speed at shorter distances.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Yep. Most runners do. I've learned that "snot rockets" are very common in the running world. :laugh:

Yeah, if I ask you not to run on my left, it is not because of a superstition... :laugh:
  • ukaggirl
    ukaggirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am relatively new to running also and have certainly gone through the gammot of finding out what works. The biggest thing is finding what works for you. Here is what works for me: I HAVE to breath through my mouth and I inhale for two strides and exhale for two strides. I usually start with 3 strides each at the beginning of my run but as I get going transition to 2. It took me a few runs of really focusing on this rhythm to have it become habit but now I don't think about it at all, it's just the natural rhythm that I fall into. Singing is a great idea though to make sure you are keeping pace.

I used to get horrible side stitches however have discovered that if I exhale when my left foot strikes I don't get them. This works for me because I get a stitch on my right side. If you get them on your left side you may want to try the other way. If I do get one I exhale very sharply when my left foot strikes and try to inhale longer and deeper or as someone else mentioned take two shorter inhalations for each exhale. You sound like a steam engine running down the road but it works. :happy: My understanding is that a side stitch is a spasm of the diaphram (kindof like hiccups) rather than a cramp so the goal is to get the muscle to relax.

Hope that helps some. I'm always looking for ways to improve so if you have any tips I would love to hear them! One word of warning for the race, try and get away from the pack if you can. Having to bob and weave around a bunch of people really messes up your rhythm.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've found that singing a song under my breath helps as it helps to regulate the breathing but without adding the stress of counting strides, etc. Find a song you like or one that seems to match your running tempo and breathe the words as you run. I think it helps you take deeper breaths and then also breathe out for longer so it should help! I'm not sure I've explained it very well but it might help!

Good luck, enjoy the training and the race!

I sing in my head or under my breath as well. I like counting too but it does sometimes add stress becuase it's one more thing to concentrate on and that can mess with your head if you're already having a bad run for whatever reason. However if I keep my totals short that helps, like only count up to 12 or 20 before going back to 1.

I'm also a mouth breather because between "deflated" nostrils (they don't stay open unless I consciously open them or wear Breathe Right strips) and getting stuffy this time of year from allergies, I'd pass out in no time if I relied on getting any oxygen through my nose.

Had no idea what the OP meant by short breaths but one of the posters who said two short inhales and a long exhale made a bit more sense to me. This is sort of what I do when I inhale and exhale by footfall anyway, just never thought of it as short breaths. Typically I do two inhales and two exhales but sometimes I do three.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I breathe in for three steps, and out for two steps. I read somewhere that while you are inhaling, your core muscles are tensed, and when you exhale they relax. So the theory goes that you are least stable at the beginning of an exhale. Breathing for an odd number of steps - in this case five in total - means you start the exhale on the opposite foot each time rather than the same foot always taking the burden.

Truthfully I have no idea if the science backs that up but it does seem to work for me. When I come to a hill I might switch to in for 2, out for 1 if I feel I need to breathe faster. I try (but don't always remember) to breathe in and out through both mouth and nose and to breathe into your belly and not your shoulders.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You guys may be over thinking this breathing thing. Breathing is natural. Running is not complicated. It's so easy even a caveman could do it... and it doesnt take math to figure out when you need to breathe. Generally you should run at a pace that will allow you to have a conversation using complete sentences. If you cant, youre running too hard.

Quit worrying about breathing and focus on stride and foot plant, the rest will fall into place. Run like a child & enjoy the run. Check out the landscape, smell the earth, lose yourself. Damn, I think I will go out again! LOL
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I find I am breathing pretty good, but I get a runny nose when I run...anyone know why this happens?

Same here - it is exercise-induced rhinitis. It's a real thing!