What heart rate monitor do you use?

Options
I am looking to buy a heart rate monitor and there are so many out there, not sure which one to get. I was also looking into getting the new Fitbit ChargeHR when that comes out or the JawboneUP3 since they both include a heart rate monitor plus sleep/steps/calories burned tracking.

Thanks!

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I use activity-specific HRMs: a Garmin Edge 800 bike computer/HRM for cycling, and a Garmin Forerunner 620 watch/HRM for running (and hiking, canoeing, and other outdoor activities, but it's really optimized for running). They both use Firstbeat, Inc.'s proprietary technology for estimating energy consumption, which is allegedly a lot more accurate (and therefore, lower :( ) than the typical HRM. My old Sigma HRM estimated that I burned 50-60 calories per mile cycling; my Edge 800 gives a more realistic, if more depressing, 25-40 depending on terrain and speed.

I read a detailed, fairly positive review of the Garmin Vivofit tracker on Ray Maker's blog today. It works with a HRM strap, so if you'd like an all-in-one tracker, you might consider it, especially since the battery supposedly lasts a year.
  • Catsheep
    Options
    Waiting for the Fitbit Charge HR!
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Catsheep wrote: »
    Waiting for the Fitbit Charge HR!

same here and hopefully it's better than the fitbit flex
  • laystarr
    laystarr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 for the last 2 years, but would recommend one with a gps sensor.
  • IamMCM
    IamMCM Posts: 122
    Options
    I liked my Polar but got sick of the chest strap. I've always been a Fitbit fan but got tired of waiting for the new one and just got a Basis Peak. Loving it so far.
  • Aust1967
    Aust1967 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    In for learning more!
  • thenk83
    thenk83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wahoo Tickr... waiting for a Fitbit Surge. Looking to replace my Fitbit Flex and Wahoo Tickr for just the Fitbit Surge. I've been thinking about the Apple Watch but I honestly love my little Fitbit community of friends. We have work challenges and cheer each other on. It's fun. I haven't seen anything announced for that and the Apple Watch.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Polar ft4 for workouts

Plus a fitbit for daily activity - used to wear a flex but changed to a zip so I could wear my bracelets again
  • turtlez23
    turtlez23 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    I use activity-specific HRMs: a Garmin Edge 800 bike computer/HRM for cycling, and a Garmin Forerunner 620 watch/HRM for running (and hiking, canoeing, and other outdoor activities, but it's really optimized for running). They both use Firstbeat, Inc.'s proprietary technology for estimating energy consumption, which is allegedly a lot more accurate (and therefore, lower :( ) than the typical HRM. My old Sigma HRM estimated that I burned 50-60 calories per mile cycling; my Edge 800 gives a more realistic, if more depressing, 25-40 depending on terrain and speed.

I read a detailed, fairly positive review of the Garmin Vivofit tracker on Ray Maker's blog today. It works with a HRM strap, so if you'd like an all-in-one tracker, you might consider it, especially since the battery supposedly lasts a year.

That is depressing, but the more accurate the better! You're really active and I am so not at that level yet. I was planing on buying a bike soon since I despise running I'll check out that Garmin. Thanks! :smile:
  • turtlez23
    Options
    laystarr wrote: »
    Polar FT7 for the last 2 years, but would recommend one with a gps sensor.

Thanks! Ill check it out!
  • turtlez23
    Options
    It seems like everyone is pro fitbit. Have not heard anything about the Jawbone yet.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4. It's great. I use the fitbit app on my phone to track daily activity (there's a motion sensor on the iphone 5s).
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Started with New Balance N4. Then got a Polar FT4. The N4 was way overestimating.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    xTHENKx wrote: »
    Wahoo Tickr... waiting for a Fitbit Surge. Looking to replace my Fitbit Flex and Wahoo Tickr for just the Fitbit Surge. I've been thinking about the Apple Watch but I honestly love my little Fitbit community of friends. We have work challenges and cheer each other on. It's fun. I haven't seen anything announced for that and the Apple Watch.

I use the Wahoo Tickr as well. I wonder sometimes about the accuracy of it, so I try not to eat back more than 1/2 to 2/3 of my calories from it (if I eat them back at all, this week post-holiday there is NONE OF THAT ALLOWED).

I love being able to see it. it motivates me to work harder and longer.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Honestly the best one is the one you will use. Decide on what you want to spend and go from there. I am partial to Garmin, but never had anything else. I like the app interaction and im a bit of a data nerd. You could make a list of the options/features you want one to have so when you are looking you dont get sucked in to just a little bit more and more.
  • turtlez23
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Honestly the best one is the one you will use. Decide on what you want to spend and go from there. I am partial to Garmin, but never had anything else. I like the app interaction and im a bit of a data nerd. You could make a list of the options/features you want one to have so when you are looking you dont get sucked in to just a little bit more and more.

I also like to see all that data but I also want accurate data. I know not everything will be to the T but I would hope I could choose something that is accurate as possible.

Making a list of what I want is a good idea too!

Thanks!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I have a Jarv heart rate monitor (chest strap only) that I got for $19.99 from groupon.

I don't really see the point of an activity monitor. I wanted to know if I was hitting my ideal heart rate while working out without having to count it myself. Most activity monitors seem like fun toys more than anything.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar Ft4 but honestly I haven't used it in forever. I'm not really into doing just cardio.
  • 1ahayward
    1ahayward Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Polar Ft4. The monitors with chest straps are more accurate than those without.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 as well. Been using it since June and I've found it to help a LOT in getting more accurate calorie burn (rather than relying on gym machines, or god forbid, MFP's estimates. lol) and helping me lose.