Lost 60 Lbs, Jawline Has Gone. Does it Get Better?

Options
fatasfack
fatasfack Posts: 77 Member
edited December 2014 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Hi, I recently lost 60 lbs. Before losing the weight I had a very pronounced jawline and now it is soft on the side and just doesn't have the elasticity it once did. I'm 32 and I think it looks awful. Has anyone lost a lot of weight and had this problem resolve once their weight stabilized for a few months?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue with under my chin/neck. It seemed soft and flabby - I had more skin than I needed. (I had similar problems on my torso.) Yes, it is resolved itself and looks fine now. There are actually exercise for tightening up those facial muscles and I found they helped. But it also just resolved with time.
  • fatasfack
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I had a similar issue with under my chin/neck. It seemed soft and flabby - I had more skin than I needed. (I had similar problems on my torso.) Yes, it is resolved itself and looks fine now. There are actually exercise for tightening up those facial muscles and I found they helped. But it also just resolved with time.

Oh thank you Jesus. I don't consider myself very superficial, but I didn't lose 60 lbs to look bad, you know? How much did you lose? It's great to hear you lost the weight and look good. My face looks like it fell off a cliff.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Don't want to sound rude here, but you've now posted a few threads regarding how you look worse or not as good now that you've lost weight (I guess compared to pre-gaining weight?). You sure there aren't any BDD-type things going on here?
  • fatasfack
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Don't want to sound rude here, but you've now posted a few threads regarding how you look worse or not as good now that you've lost weight (I guess compared to pre-gaining weight?). You sure there aren't any BDD-type things going on here?

I understand why you would say that, but I'm actually looking at pictures side by side and I see the issue there. Of course, I see the issue in the mirror as well, but my judgement is based off the pictures only.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    skin takes a couple of years to tighten completely after weight loss

I'm pretty sure nobody else will notice the way you do

• blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Vigorous exercise actually helped tighten my face and neck. I think it may have to do with my breathing (I do zumba and some running). When I pant, I notice my neck and face flex a lot, which I think may have helped. Sounds weird but I can see myself in the mirror at the gym and realized I was doing it. Exercise has for sure helped tighten the loose skin I had/have on my upper arms, inner thighs, and stomach. It's not perfect, but extremely improved. I've lost a total of 78 lbs, over the course of 18/19 months, and I've been working maintenance now for about 6 months. I'm 43 yoa, mom of 2 nearly-grown boys. Good luck as you press forward!!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds. It took maybe 4 months for things to fall back in place. The whole way down I would suddenly look worse and flabbier and then drop 5 pounds. When I finally hit it took a few months before I looked 'tight'. I lost another 5 pounds when I was into maintenance and the same thing happened.

Look at a box of butter. One pound. Think of that disappearing from under your skin. Of COURSE it takes a while for it to readjust.

I did, in fact, do yoga stretches for my face to tighten up my chin. Walking helped my gut. Breasts just perked up on their own.