The whole cutting bulking thing

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
So, I've been plateau'd for a while, and this group of trainers at my work place gym (lucky me == I work at a university, and these folks are on their way to degrees or have post-grad in exercise physiology and nutrition), and I've been advised to try a "recomp" because I'm plateauing. I had been eating my BMR (1136 for a 5'1.5" 56 year old female) + activity calories calcuated on a tracker. (Don't look at my diary over the past 4 days -- that's not my typical eating style!). I read and hear a lot about cutting and bulking -- bulking eating more than your calorie needs, and then cutting to a deficit to reduce body fat. If I considered the past week a refeeding phase, and then wanted to "cut", how low should I go? Should I go down to my BMR and not eat back exercise calories, or perhaps eat only half of them? I know about the whole MFP not going below 1200, but for shorter older folks, 1200 might be maintenance if we're sedentary. Then, how low should I get in body fat and body weight before I "refeed." So far, haven't been able to get below 30% (I'm an hourglass shape). I keep seeing all these gals getting down to around 105 at my height, but haven't been there since college days (and then was pretty weak and thin).

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it's the same principle as any other weight loss- a moderate deficit.

Same wiht bulking- a moderate surplus.

the idea specifically with bulking is enough surplus to be able to grow muscle and not pack on too much fat (you can only do so much muscle growing at a time- so if you have excess surplus- you will gain more fat than you might be willing accept)

Cutting- is to have enough of a deficit to reduce body fat without losing to much muscle mass.

To much deficit = weight loss which can/will be fat + muscle. Not so awesome when you just spent all that time putting muscle ON.

If you're at 30% there is plenty of fat to be cut straight up. I won't worry about a recomp- just keep lifting and eating at a moderate deficit.
  • rosebette
    Options
    Ok, I'll keep eating according to plan.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hello, we are very similar - me 5'1 61yo 100.8lb.
    - BMR= 971
    - TDEE= 1165 (book worm-OK maintainance)
    I aim to eat at the MFP recommend 1200cal, but sometimes I am a bit under, and track my exercise, thought rarely eat it back.
    ( 60 min exercise is usually around a 200 cal burn)

Exercise deficit over 9week period 11,199 cal or 3.2lb lost.
    Food deficit over 9week period 5,600 cal or 1.6lb lost.
    Total lost 4.8lb.
    BF= 20% according to a USMC online body measurement calculator.

Because I ( and you) am small, and a bit older, I have found the majority of my weight loss had to come from calories burnt through extra activity, not calorie intake deficit.
    I used this method to lose my menopausal 28-30lb gain.

Hope this helps even though it doesn't address the bulk/cut title of the post.

Cheers, h.
  • rosebette
    Options
    That's pretty much what I've been hearing. I have tried to net as low as 1000, still eating back exercise calories, but was way too hungry and not getting in my protein macros. I am a bit younger and heavier, although if you're down to 100 lbs., it does give me hope that I could approach that weight. You also don't look excessively thin in your picture. Are you very small-boned? The general recommendation is not to eat below the BMR unless you're extremely overweight, so I'm going to try to aim for my 1136. I think I'll "friend" you; I have a nice bunch of MFP friends my age and size, and it's always good to have support from "fellow travelers."
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I've been stalled for a while now and I decided to just take a break from dieting entirely and am eating at maintenance. This would be a "recomp" because I'm eating at maintenance and i am actually kind of hoping that I drop a tiny bit of body fat lol. Doubt I will but who knows!

But as said, cut = eat 10-20% below maintenance; bulk = eat 5-10% above maintenance (or you can go faster, but that might result in greater fat than muscle gain).
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Hi rosebette,
    In my pic I am 105. And even though I am a bit lower now, I am not 'scrawny' looking. I don't like that look as I age.
    I always think I have medium bones ( I am so much more solid looking than my bird like sisters), but with a wrist of 5.5in I do qualify as small boned.
    Try sticking with the 1200 cal and eating back 50% of your exercise calories. I too find it is hard to get all my protein in some days so when I am low I have started having a protein shake. I resisted for ages but found I was getting tired, so took the plunge, it has made a difference in my energy levels.
    I will be happy to be friends as I think I would like to know a few more people aroung the same age, and with similar goals.
    Cheers, h.
  • rosebette
    Options
    I think I am a bigger frame than you are -- my wrist is about 6", I have big shoulders, and I wear a 7 1/2 or 8 shoe. The 1200 plus 1/2 exercise sounds pretty reasonable.
  • rosebette
    Options
    I'm usually between 118 and 120. I'd say 120 now since I haven't been on the scale since T-day.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    @OP - I agree with the poster who has indicated you can wait to do a bulk. I believe the general recommendation for women is to do a bulk once they are below 24% BF. I, myself am at 24.5% BF and am not ready yet to do the bulk. I will likely wait until I hit 22%BF. I think as you go through the process of weight loss and move closer to your target weight, you will be able to refine your personal decisions.

Also of note, it is my understanding that bulk/cut cycles are generally several/many weeks (even months) in length and women who are bulking will see even slower results then men (actually increase of muscle mass). There are some really great groups here all about this subject, in particular for women...
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The other thing to keep in mind about bulking/cutting is that strength training is key. During a bulking phase, you need to be lifting heavy and several times a week, and eat LOTS of protein. Otherwise you will be gaining fat, not muscle. And you would need to eat/train this way for a number of months, monitoring your body fat % to make sure you're gaining muscle.
  • rosebette
    Options
    The point may be moot for me right now. I have been trying to get back on track, but with the impinged shoulder, my medical person says no go still.