NSV - The Elliptical Machine

Options
The elliptical machine is my nemesis. Even at my healthiest, I could never do it for long. I think fifteen minutes was my top.

When I started working out again in March, I was in awful shape. I'd gained seventy-five pounds in just two years, and working out again was hard. When I tried the elliptical machine again, I could do... three minutes. Just three minutes and I wanted to die. And I had been an athlete at one point in my life.

(My brother and my sister are both awesome at the elliptical trainer, adding to my despair. They're both the type to do it for forty-five minutes as their warm up.)

My friend/gym buddy had never worked out before, so the (re)learning curve wasn't too bad. I knew the basics, and I could help her learn while learning from the opportunity and benefiting from her support. She and I would cheer each other on to five minutes, then seven, then ten. Then we reached eighteen.

I fell off the wagon a little with exams and everything. I was alone at the gym last night, and I texted said gym buddy and my brother, "Today, I'm going to do twenty minutes on the elliptical."

She sent back, "You can do it!"

My brother replied, "No, you're going to do thirty. Just give it a try."

And do you know what? It was hard, but I did it!

And I'm about to get in the car and drive over to the gym...and once I'm there, I'm going to try for thirty two. ;)

Replies

• joblmayes
    joblmayes Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, WTG :)
  • michele2377
    michele2377 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Do everyones feet go numb on the eliptical or is it just me?
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Great job! I'm so glad you realized your potential and accomplishment! And I'm so glad to hear that you have such a supportive family member!
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I fell off the wagon a little with exams and everything. I was alone at the gym last night, and I texted said gym buddy and my brother, "Today, I'm going to do twenty minutes on the elliptical."

She sent back, "You can do it!"

My brother replied, "No, you're going to do thirty. Just give it a try."

And do you know what? It was hard, but I did it!

And I'm about to get in the car and drive over to the gym...and once I'm there, I'm going to try for thirty two. ;)

That's the attitude! That's how I started with all the cardio. I could only do about 8 min. on the row machine and 8 min on the bike when I started. Now I do 15 min on each plus 15 on the treadmill, and I am adding in the elliptical this week (but probably not 15 min!) I have a bad knee and it doesn't like to do any of them for more than 15 min, so the variety is good and keeps me from getting bored. But I am hoping the elliptical will be easier on my knee than the treadmill and that I can go longer on it. A couple of minutes added each week - you CAN do it!
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Do everyones feet go numb on the eliptical or is it just me?

Happens to me at the end (about an hour or so into it).
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    You know, you will be doing an hour before you know it! Great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!