Does metabolism really matter that much?

Options
Many "naturally skinny" I know might be seen to eat huge meals, but might literally go all day without eating and not get hungry (my Dad is one of these people. He is very slim and says he just doesn't get hungry). Or they are finicky eaters.

Starvation mode means that weight loss slows down slightly but doesn't stop altogether (otherwise people wouldn't starve to death). Also, if your metabolism has slowed down that much you definitely know about because you're exhausted, cold, and dizzy.

Also, significant age-related weight gain (ie. 50 lbs) has much more to do with lifestyle than metabolism. People's whose lifestyle doesn't change with age don't tend to gain that much weight.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ok.....?

just FYI, eating all your calories in one meal a day does not cause 'starvation mode'
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    What do you hope to accomplish with this post??
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,934 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I know several people who are naturally thin but it seems like its just because they're too picky to eat much. Where as I love all food and struggle to stay thin haha. I think part of it is metabolism though. Because I also know a naturally thin person who does seem to eat a lot when I'm with her but still stays thin. She even comments on how healthily I eat. So... my conclusion is that it depends on the person, no matter your natural tendencies.
  • intrepidelephant
    intrepidelephant Posts: 100 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Except for people with thyroid issues etc, can people why eat the same amount and exercise the same amount be vastly different sizes?
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I poop alot throughout the day. My metabolism is top notch. !
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Fidgety people in cold environments burns more calories than people who don't. People who get up and walk 5 minutes/hour burn more than people who sit for 8 hours without moving. Yeah, lots of things matter. Especially eating too much.

Most people who are 'naturally skinny' don't eat that much for their activity level.

IMHO, metabolism matters most in terms of aging. As you get older, you burn fewer calories even if your activity level stays relatively constant.