How to lose fat and not muscle

Options
I lost 20 pounds so far and I reached my goal weight (150 lbs), which is great, I'm able to see my 4 abs but can't see my lower abs 100% so I might need to lose an extra 5 pounds. I've read though that the last pounds you lose, your body tries to "keep" them so you might lose muscle instead of fat. How do you avoid that ?I'm doing Insanity by the way and my diet usually consists in chicken, tuna, eggs, pasta, bread, and sometimes fish. Any help would be appreciated. I wish all of you a great monday ! :smile:

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    really not much you can do as it is just something that will naturally occur because your body is not efficient enough to just burn 100% fat.

My suggestion would be a heavy lifting regimen and limited cardio, so you may want to ditch insanity in favor of heavy weights. I would also suggest making sure that you are getting enough protein, about 1 gram per pound of lean body mass is recommended…just my two cents..

congrats on your progress.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Lift weights and lift heavy. The only way to keep muscle is to force your body to use them in such a way that it thinks you need them. There are lots of good weight lifting programs out there.
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Lets put it this way, I am 304 lbs, I was measured last week at 41% body fat at 306lbs, which would put me at 180lbs of LBM. I just started weight training last week, dont know if it is realistic even with weight training to stick to 180lb of LBM lifting 3x per week, as at even 200lbs that would still be only 10% BF.