Chronic pain and staying active. How do you manage?

Options
Hello everyone,

I would love to train for a 1/2 marathon or sprint triathlon or just be able to make it to the gym or a run 4-5 days a week, or bike a century. Or at the very least- train for such events....sometimes I can, sort of...

I am a 44yo female and I have chronic back pain. I am soliciting a surgeon at the moment, because after nearly 3 years of chronic pain and struggles, I feel it is inevitable. I have come a long way in the last few years. But today I'm down, resting, waiting...

I feel that I may never be able to make it to the competitive level I'd like. My journey may just be making it day by day to the best I can manage on that particular day, and remembering to not waste an opportunity.

How you you cope?

Replies

• scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    When I was 20 I was crushed by a horse, and lost a lot of use of the left side of my body. I gained a lot of weight due to inactivity, bedrest, and depression. I had severe back pain from a dislocated pelvis and bulged L5 disk. The first year I just walked and rode my horse when I was able, the second year I added easy hikes. The third year I started yoga, which really helped me gain grounds (I made certain I went to a quality studio, and explained my injuries). Through the first 4 years I was in physical therapy the majority of the time. The 4th year I had hip surgery (my hip had been broken, and healed poorly, since we didn't know about it, so it all had to be cleaned out), which helped with the back pain tremendously, and I used light yoga, and simple hikes to get back in shape. Now I'm in year six, and I've added weight lifting to the yoga, horseback riding, and hiking. Weights and yoga have been the most helpful for me through the pain, as well as losing most of the weight put on after the accident.

I barely have back pain now, and it's mainly from being sedentary. It took a long time, and there were a lot of frustrations, but I was able to get past chronic back pain without surgery. Hope this helps a little.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    scg17,

yes, your reply is very helpful. I'll remember that it may take longer to heal than id like. So far I manage yoga at the Y, which is rather aggressive. Kind of a power yoga. I may switch to a local studio with more personalized care. Thank you for sharing your experience.
  • scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I started with Forrest Yoga (based on the styles of Ana Forrest), at a small studio. I wouldn't recommend group yoga in a bigger setting until you are feeling better (basically, I waited until I knew all the ways I needed to modify my poses before venturing into the more "athletic" classes--typically the goal in those is more calorie burn than making sure everyone is properly aligned). There are also some poses I never do, even when I'm in a group setting. Yin yoga is becoming popular, and it is a gentle stretch held for a long time. There are also "gentle" yoga classes and yoga for injuries. Basically, a small studio with a qualified instructor is the best place to start. Good luck, I hope you start feeling better. I know it is such a frustrating journey!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    You make a good point. Last month my husband sent me to a woman for a massage who also has a yoga studio, and had rehabbed herself back from a bulging disc in her neck. I think she's the one to see.
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm hypermobile and thus very prone to overuse injuries, and in my 30s after years of failed exercise programs and chronic tendinitis, I quit, and stayed inactive for nearly 25 years -- and gained about 75 lbs in consequence (none of it muscle). About 18 months ago I began to see a physical therapist for back problems, and through that facility was introduced to a trainer who specializes in getting folks like me moving again. It has not been easy. It is a LONG road up from atrophy. The back is terrific, but otherwise it's been a real challenge to work around a shoulder joint with no cartilege, arthritic hips, etc. But despite some setbacks, after a little more than year, I can finally say that I am getting -- slowly, painfully -- stronger and more limber. Losing 65 lbs helped a lot, of course; but this trainer has taught me valuable lessons about things like my capacity for exercise (greater than I realized in some ways, less so in others), but mostly the value of sticking to SOME program of exercise. It's great that you can do an aggressive yoga! I continue to be frustrated at my inability to do aggressive anything, yet, but I'm hopeful that I will some day.
  • kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    As a massage therapist I see clients frequently who are in the same boat, including my husband who endured an awful back injury at work, never had the recommend surgery and yet is now completely off pain medication, back to work and most days is now completely pain free. Meditation, **regularly scheduled massage sessions**, mild (injury appropriate) stretching and light yoga have proven over and over to work wonders for my clients. Find a good therapist with lots of experience dealing with back injuries and / or sports massage. If you do choose surgery (scar tissue can cause problems to worsen) find someone experienced in scar tissue mobilization. Make sure they are licensed and well educated! Best of luck!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I snapped the ligaments in my lumbar spine @6 years ago now. It still hurts, which does suck, but it is MUCH better. Find a real good physical therapist to guide you and just do as much work on your core as you can without making things worse. I was an idiot and didn't care enough about who I went to and have suffered for that. For anyone reading this who might be dumb like me - a chiropractor CANNOT help you and DOES NOT know about your injury and if they tell you otherwise they're bad people.

For me really the only thing that has made it better, aside from time, is lots of core work. And not just abs, back as well...one baby Superman pose at a time.

And do the massage, do the stretching, do the easy yoga - not only will they help with the pain but also that emotional grind of hurting all the time. Things that are nurturing for body and mind. There are therapists (I've heard) who work on emotional management of chronic pain as well.

-
    All the best to you!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I have had arthritis since I was in my early twenties and I have a lot of hip pain.

So... I'm am a swimmer. I can go hard at that and it doesn't hurt.
  • Elise4270
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thank you all so much for sharing your stories. I know so many people that choose not stay active and have no physical limitations, some that are very active and are dedicated, yet none that want to stay active and have a chronic condition to battle.

Just FYI- i do love my chiropractor. I know there are too many that don't help, or just are not educated, or dont have the patience to really help. Mine focuses on stretches and core strength. We also did ultrasound therapy along with gentle manipulation. I was miserable the 10 months prior, car rides hurt with any movement, sleeping hurt, breathing hurt- I was miserable. Two visits with him and I was noticeably better- I had hope. With his treatment/advice i was back to a functional level of pain, maybe a 4-5/10.

Surgery- I agree, that's not a road I want to go down. But, i realize with the right surgeon it might be the best thing I've ever done, especially if its conservative. I am hoping for a "simple" trimming of the bulged disc, not a double fusion like a previous one suggested. It's great that I didn't do it, because this last MRI the discs are actually better. Proof we can and do heal. Or I'll accept where I am, and do the best I can with the condition I have. Honestly, I get a little frustrated with it. Sometimes its funny, sometime I don't take the razzing to well.

I asked about physical therapy, buy my family doctor is under the impression that I stay active enough not to need it. A bit flattered, but I think I could use some help. I'm sure he will entertain it if I ask to be sent. I think he doesn't know what to do with me anymore. I wont take narcotics. They wont fix me.

Again thank you all for your support. This seems to be a lonely road. XOXOXO
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I guess my bias is showing eh!! I too, loved my chiropractor. After the ER doc would only give me head and neck scans at the hospital, I went to my chiro instead of a 'real' doctor for the spinal x-rays. Then just followed the plan they gave me which, surprise, had only them on it. Then when every muscle in my back, shoulders and chest locked up from bad PT, I *still* went to them. Then they wrenched my shoulder out of its socket basically forever (will have to be surgically repaired) and now of course I have decided to despise all chiros. Not fair, I know, and did I mention that I'm dumb?

Oh - watch the Advil and the Tylenol as well, I used those as crutches and way overdid it.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had a complete hysterectomy four years ago. I have chronic abdominal pain due to serious adhesions which also limit my mobility. Combined with that I have arthritis in my left hip. I ran a half marathon and completed a tough mudder two years ago. I was still running up until I had a horse accident a month ago, pretty much decimated my left side... I still have a cast on my arm.

Anyway, it hurts to move all the time, hard to get up and down. I'm on a nerve blocker and get monthly injections from the doctor. I notice that stretching the problem areas out really well helps some. Other than that, it's more mentally making myself move, because once I get into it it doesn't hurt.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Hi, I had a complete hysterectomy four years ago. I have chronic abdominal pain due to serious adhesions which also limit my mobility. Combined with that I have arthritis in my left hip. I ran a half marathon and completed a tough mudder two years ago. I was still running up until I had a horse accident a month ago, pretty much decimated my left side... I still have a cast on my arm.

Anyway, it hurts to move all the time, hard to get up and down. I'm on a nerve blocker and get monthly injections from the doctor. I notice that stretching the problem areas out really well helps some. Other than that, it's more mentally making myself move, because once I get into it it doesn't hurt.

Yes its amazing stretching works so well. If I'm sedentary, I hurt so much more. I look at the people I see running in events and wonder about their mediocre times and what obstacles they have overcome. And I wonder if others see me and think how out of shape and slow I am. I know its all in my head. I constantly trying to overcome the emotional and physical pain.

I wish you a speedy recovery. I too have arthritis in my hip (right).
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Wow your posts are really inspiring, it's great to see that people can stay active with long term pain.

Do you have access to a gym with a pool at all? My husband has a slipped disc and has to get epidurals occasionally for the pain, occasionally it's been so bad he's had to spend a day or two in bed because he couldn't really move. He's able to swim because it's less strain than most exercises. When he can't do a full workout he will always do the back machine at the other gym, he says it really helps to keep it strong.

I have Pelvic Girdle Pain, but it's a temporary problem for 10 more weeks (I hope having the baby will make it go away) and swimming has also been great for me too. I can barely walk to the locker room because of the pain some days but after I get out of the pool I feel better for hours, sometimes full days.

I suppose knowing that exercise is going to help us with a pain is a pretty big motivator to go and do it. I really look forward to when I can stretch in the warm pool after I finish my laps.

• Elise4270
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I guess my bias is showing eh!! I too, loved my chiropractor. After the ER doc would only give me head and neck scans at the hospital, I went to my chiro instead of a 'real' doctor for the spinal x-rays. Then just followed the plan they gave me which, surprise, had only them on it. Then when every muscle in my back, shoulders and chest locked up from bad PT, I *still* went to them. Then they wrenched my shoulder out of its socket basically forever (will have to be surgically repaired) and now of course I have decided to despise all chiros. Not fair, I know, and did I mention that I'm dumb?

Oh - watch the Advil and the Tylenol as well, I used those as crutches and way overdid it.

At one time I was taking Tylenol so often I had withdraw symptoms. So I alternate days with advill. I have Ultram but dont give into it unless I'm really bad. Muscle relaxers seem to knock the edge off, but make me a bit loopy until i've taken them for a few days. I will watch the OTC meds and prob try to add a few rx.

Now everyone has had their own experience with chiros. I'm with you, I wouldn't recommend going to one for spinal issues. But, I was lucky enough to find one that came to our company health fair and happened to be one of my chemistry students during my working through school years. I talked with him and he said he could help. he listened. I went to one that must have never read the "how are you doing today" questionnaire or noted the places circled on the "where's your pain". Everybody was treated the same. Manhandled violently no matter their issue. He had lost sight of his purpose or only saw us as an insurance claim.

You bring up bad PT, another fear i have. I research muscle groups and do the best I can with self rehab. I suppose they too can lose focus like chiropractors.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Yes its amazing stretching works so well. If I'm sedentary, I hurt so much more. I look at the people I see running in events and wonder about their mediocre times and what obstacles they have overcome. And I wonder if others see me and think how out of shape and slow I am. I know its all in my head. I constantly trying to overcome the emotional and physical pain.

A few years ago I took a pilates for dance class. Theres this stretch you can do while laying down where you use a resistance band to stretch your legs that works wonders

http://pilatesstudiosouthaustin.com/thrive-for-five-stretch-your-legs-with-a-resistance-band/

And thank you! I walked a little over a mile today so I think I'll be fine eventually lol

• Elise4270
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    Wow your posts are really inspiring, it's great to see that people can stay active with long term pain.

Do you have access to a gym with a pool at all? My husband has a slipped disc and has to get epidurals occasionally for the pain, occasionally it's been so bad he's had to spend a day or two in bed because he couldn't really move. He's able to swim because it's less strain than most exercises. When he can't do a full workout he will always do the back machine at the other gym, he says it really helps to keep it strong.

I have Pelvic Girdle Pain, but it's a temporary problem for 10 more weeks (I hope having the baby will make it go away) and swimming has also been great for me too. I can barely walk to the locker room because of the pain some days but after I get out of the pool I feel better for hours, sometimes full days.

I suppose knowing that exercise is going to help us with a pain is a pretty big motivator to go and do it. I really look forward to when I can stretch in the warm pool after I finish my laps.

Sounds like your husband and I are living with the same condition. Swimming and yoga does help me. Before I knew I had a degenerative condition and experienced a mini-flare up, I'd swim and it always helped. My work hours don't always work perfectly with the pool schedule. I have to either be at work at 5AM to swim just after work, or go home and make an evening trip to the gym. Chances are 1) I'm not getting up an hour early and 2) once I'm home, I am not getting back out. SO, you see I need a little motivation/discipline.

I have 19yo twins. I understand the pregnancy pain. Come 7 months I waddled and people gawked and were sure I was not fit to be out and about. They were full term, 8,1 and 6,12. I was a torpedo. To correct the core imbalance, I assumed was due to the ab muscles being out of place after pregnancy, I had a tummy tuck that included the muscle repair. I do feel stronger, like my muscles work together like they should.

Good luck with the pregnancy and baby! such a blessing. Sounds like your close? New years baby perhaps?
  • Elise4270
    Options

A few years ago I took a pilates for dance class. Theres this stretch you can do while laying down where you use a resistance band to stretch your legs that works wonders

http://pilatesstudiosouthaustin.com/thrive-for-five-stretch-your-legs-with-a-resistance-band/

And thank you! I walked a little over a mile today so I think I'll be fine eventually lol

You hold one end of that "eventually" and I'll hold the other. We will make it through together. I'm not letting go! :D

I thought about pilates, did one PiYo ( pilates/yoga) class- kicked my butt. Ill check out the link. Sure its something I can do at home- or work. they 'll just look at me crazy, but i dont care.

My daughter is 19, loves to say " look mom thats gonna be you, you want a wheel chair?" while at Walmart ( the devils store LOL).

I'l want to run. I want to hang mediocre times on the back of my race bibs, I want to be outside in the perfect stride with others in spirit or in step that are overcoming chronic pain!

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »

Sounds like your husband and I are living with the same condition. Swimming and yoga does help me. Before I knew I had a degenerative condition and experienced a mini-flare up, I'd swim and it always helped. My work hours don't always work perfectly with the pool schedule. I have to either be at work at 5AM to swim just after work, or go home and make an evening trip to the gym. Chances are 1) I'm not getting up an hour early and 2) once I'm home, I am not getting back out. SO, you see I need a little motivation/discipline.

I have 19yo twins. I understand the pregnancy pain. Come 7 months I waddled and people gawked and were sure I was not fit to be out and about. They were full term, 8,1 and 6,12. I was a torpedo. To correct the core imbalance, I assumed was due to the ab muscles being out of place after pregnancy, I had a tummy tuck that included the muscle repair. I do feel stronger, like my muscles work together like they should.

Good luck with the pregnancy and baby! such a blessing. Sounds like your close? New years baby perhaps?

Yeah our pool stays busy and has lots of classes during the day so we've had to go at 7pm so we can both swim at a comfortable pace without sharing the lane with the really fit people who go much faster. I would rather go in the morning but for now I'm glad I can make it at all. I am happy that we've found something that works for both of us.

Thank you! I'm 30 weeks on Wednesday, so I'm sure the waddle will be starting any day now. She will be somewhere between New Year's and Valentine's day, I'm due in 11 Feb, but I don't know what she has planned.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    scg17 wrote: »
    I started with Forrest Yoga (based on the styles of Ana Forrest), at a small studio. I wouldn't recommend group yoga in a bigger setting until you are feeling better (basically, I waited until I knew all the ways I needed to modify my poses before venturing into the more "athletic" classes--typically the goal in those is more calorie burn than making sure everyone is properly aligned). There are also some poses I never do, even when I'm in a group setting. Yin yoga is becoming popular, and it is a gentle stretch held for a long time. There are also "gentle" yoga classes and yoga for injuries. Basically, a small studio with a qualified instructor is the best place to start. Good luck, I hope you start feeling better. I know it is such a frustrating journey!

Thanks. I knew to the messaging system here. Just wanted to re iterate that I think your right, I should incorporate some more gentler yoga as much as possible.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yoga changed my life a few times. Even if you learn three asanas that you can than do safely by yourself once a day, you will feel better. Also, look for some yoga breathing videos on youtube. Breathwork can improve how you feel.