Coconut milk, healthy fat?

Options
I just made baked banana and coconut oatmeal this morning. It was amazing. But I just realized that coconut milk is very high in fat (and calories). I used 1/2 cup of light coconut milk and that gave me 80 calories and 8 grams of fat!

So I was wondering if coconut milk is a good source of fat, kind of like avocado and almonds?

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It's been controversial over the years, but lately the evidence seems to be that it's not as bad as people once thought it was.

Is there a reason you are avoiding regular milk? I have found that soymilk has the best macronutrient composition of all the non-dairy milks (best protein levels, among other things). People freak out over phytoestrogens in soymilk, but I think the hype is overblown.
  • Irene514
    Irene514 Posts: 62
    Options
    No I don't have any problem with lactose and I do enjoy milk. It's just that the recipe called for coconut milk, to give the taste and texture. I have also tried almond milk, but I do not love soymilk. I usually make my oatmeal with 1% regular milk.
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I use Kara 2% Coconut milk. I'm not sure if you have it with you, but it comes in a carton like almond and soy milk. For 100ml it's 27 calories. I use it with Thai cooking and in coffee, but it doesn't taste like coconuts like I imagined coconut milk would. Maybe I was being naive lol.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    No I don't have any problem with lactose and I do enjoy milk. It's just that the recipe called for coconut milk, to give the taste and texture. I have also tried almond milk, but I do not love soymilk. I usually make my oatmeal with 1% regular milk.

I like variety in my diet, so I can understand :) I enjoy coconut milk on occasion, both the traditional cooking kind and the kind made for drinking. But as a full-time substitute for regular milk, it doesn't work for me, precisely because it has no protein to speak of and a ton of fat. I prefer to get my fat from other sources.