Starting Insanity, little unsure on the food plan

So I've read through the insanity food plan, apparently I need to be eating around 4.5k calories per day while doing insanity. This seems a little crazy to me because I don't eat this much usually and now I'm trying to lose weight I'll be close to doubling my calorie intake.

My stats:
Male
26 years old
6ft 3inch
240lbs

Myfitnesspal has put me on a diet of 1700 calories to lose 2lbs per week without any exercise. Is insanity really going to burn off the additional 2.8k calories I'm eating on top of my current diet?

Could someone with experience shed a little light on which eating plan is closer to the mark?

Replies

• amgerbin
    amgerbin Posts: 49 Member
    I didn't follow the Insanity food plan for the first two weeks. The workouts were a bit of a shock to my body (and I've worked out a LONG time!) so I eased into it. You may need to try the workouts and then weave the food plan in later. I think too many people go all in and then they fail. One step at a time....
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 142 Member
    Hi, I'm starting Insanity today as well. I don't plan on following the food plan though. I think I'm just going to continue tracking my calories and keep it around 1200-1500 a day. I'll adjust as I go. Good luck to you.
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    edited December 2014
    This is my second time doing Insanity, and I didn't follow the food plan as well as I should have last time. I lost 35 pounds, but not until the second month, and I feel like I could have done better. I basically ate whatever I wanted to because I was always so hungry doing the program lol. This time, I'm focusing more on nutrition and seeing what that gets me. I just started the 2nd week, so I'll have to wait and see.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    You're going to eat 1200 calories and do insanity?

I would say probably not...
    Myfitnesspal has put me on a diet of 1700 calories to lose 2lbs per week without any exercise.
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member

My thoughts exactly. The first round I tried eating my base amount (I didn't know to eat back exercise calories yet) and I pretty much starved until I figured it out. My body felt so much better once I upped my calorie intake.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

I would say probably not...
    Myfitnesspal has put me on a diet of 1700 calories to lose 2lbs per week without any exercise.

Two different posters. ;)

My BMR is almost 1500. I can't imagine doing something like Insanity on 1200-1500. :noway:
  • dbmata
    oh nebbamind. nebbamind
  • corinne1977

Hello, I will try the 1200-1500 calories but I guess if I need to eat more I will. I'm only 5'2" and 128 lbs. so I that is my about my BMR. This is only day 2 so I'll see how it goes. I definitely don't plan on starving myself.
  • dbmata

Hello, I will try the 1200-1500 calories but I guess if I need to eat more I will. I'm only 5'2" and 128 lbs. so I that is my about my BMR. This is only day 2 so I'll see how it goes. I definitely don't plan on starving myself.
    That's what you're doing.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    To the original poster, you will probably want to aim for 2400 calories on workout days... 2lbs a week is unlikely after your water weight is gone.. so ya..
  • corinne1977
    Dbmata, so how many calories should I be eating? Closer to 2000?
  • dbmata
    Dbmata, so how many calories should I be eating? Closer to 2000?

Depends on many factors unique to yourself, none of which I know. It would be wise to avail oneself of the myriad of calculators found peppered throughout most of the threads in the Nutrition and Fitness subforums.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    OP, when i did insanity i was eating NET 1800 cals, and i was huuuuuuuungry.... i am 5ft5 and about 136lbs when i did it... so given your size i think you might want to eat a bit more!
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    I'm 5'7 and 179 lbs trying to lose the 30 pounds I've gained since last year. I started eating clean 3 weeks ago and tracking calories at around 1600 per day. I started insanity this week and haven't been hungry enough to eat back my exercise cals. I'm not starving and am very satisfied. Maybe into week 2 I will have more appetite. I'm all about eating back my exercise cals to net 1400-1600 but I'm not stuffing myself or forcing myself to eat. I also don't drink calories outside of skim milk. I'm not following the Insanity meal plan.