Stress & maintaining/losing weight

Options
Hi everyone

I've heard that stress affects your weight - for me my routine goes to hell when I'm super stressed, and i've been in a crazy stressful scenario for a couple of years. Last year though I managed to MFP for the year (actually more than that, I logged over 400 days but had lost the 30kg by day 360) but when I went into maintenance and my stress coincidentally got higher i put on about 5 kg, and now I can't get back into my routines to shake them.

I'm not eating terribly. I've managed about 60 days back on MFP with only about 2 bad days, but it's erratic - by which I mean I'm just throwing meals together where I can and tracking calories and fibre but little else. I'm not exercising that much because of the stress, the busy busy busy schedule and a shoulder injury.

Question: despite the fact that I clearly know how this works, it's not at the moment. Can I attribute this to the stress or should I be looking elsewhere?

Replies

• kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You're here, you're trying, you haven't given up. Kudos! Just keep trucking. One foot in front of the other. Whatever the stress is, its only temporary. Go through it, take what you can learn from it, then bury the rest in the dirt and walk forward, away from it. Do something every day that makes you feel good.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I feel like stress can effect your weight loss. But I would be looking elsewhere first....try to find a way to pre-measure food or plan meals so you aren't throwing things together. You are probably consuming more than you realize.

I would start small, change one thing at a time. Try to reduce the stress in your life. You did it before, you can do it again!

Best of luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm confused! :) I don't know what you mean by "looking elsewhere." It sounds like you changed your habits and that why you gained the weight.

When experts talk about stress and cortisol and stuff like that, they're talking Prisoner Of War stress or "a beam fell on my leg" stress, not "My boss is a jerk and these kids are driving me crazy and I have to pay the mortgage" kind of stress. Typical, everyday American kind of stress won't cause major physical changes in your body.

If it makes you change your habits or pay less attention or just choose to eat a bunch of donuts, that's going to have an effect, sure. If you don't get enough rest, maybe that, too.

I don't really understand the problem, but it seems like if you maybe start paying more attention to how you eat and get yourself back into exercising, you'll get back on track. You did it before, so you know you can do it again!

I don't know if any of that is new or helpful, lol. :)
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your routine was but if it wasn't helping you lower your stress while doing it then maybe you should look for a different exercise?
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    When I say stress I mean 'parent is dying, am only support person for other parent' stress so it's genuine stress, not the kind several of you seem to think I mean. It's not stress that you an just make go away.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I'm confused! :) I don't know what you mean by "looking elsewhere." It sounds like you changed your habits and that why you gained the weight.

When experts talk about stress and cortisol and stuff like that, they're talking Prisoner Of War stress or "a beam fell on my leg" stress, not "My boss is a jerk and these kids are driving me crazy and I have to pay the mortgage" kind of stress. Typical, everyday American kind of stress won't cause major physical changes in your body.

If it makes you change your habits or pay less attention or just choose to eat a bunch of donuts, that's going to have an effect, sure. If you don't get enough rest, maybe that, too.

I don't really understand the problem, but it seems like if you maybe start paying more attention to how you eat and get yourself back into exercising, you'll get back on track. You did it before, so you know you can do it again!

I think I'm saying that the stress is the major barricade to me having the energy and focus I did the first time...there are a few changed habits but when I *am* doing everything i was doing last year I'm not seeing the same results (granted: could be because am trying to effect a 5kg loss not a 30 kg one) and the major thing that's changed is the increase to my stress levels as we get closer to losing dad.

• clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself. You're going through a very stressful time, and you only have a certain amount of emotional energy. Direct most of it where it needs to go at the moment - you sound like you've already made huge progress, so do you need to get rid of that last 5kg in a hurry? (Genuine question, no judgement either way)
    -
    - Do the best you can with what you've got (both time and energy) and take care of yourself :)
  • trudijoy
    Options
    clarion_r wrote: »
    Be kind to yourself. You're going through a very stressful time, and you only have a certain amount of emotional energy. Direct most of it where it needs to go at the moment - you sound like you've already made huge progress, so do you need to get rid of that last 5kg in a hurry? (Genuine question, no judgement either way)
    -
    - Do the best you can with what you've got (both time and energy) and take care of yourself :)

it's more that i lost it, then gained it back over winter, and now it won't re-leave! I'm on hols for 8 weeks starting next week so that will probably help.

Thanks, you're right, it's not the most important thing right now but it's about having a little control I guess

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    trudijoy wrote: »

I think I'm saying that the stress is the major barricade to me having the energy and focus I did the first time...there are a few changed habits but when I *am* doing everything i was doing last year I'm not seeing the same results (granted: could be because am trying to effect a 5kg loss not a 30 kg one) and the major thing that's changed is the increase to my stress levels as we get closer to losing dad.
    I didn't mean that you weren't under genuine stress. I meant that when they talk about stress, cortisol, and that stuff, they don't mean emotional stress - they are talking about an entirely different kind of traumatic stress. Emotional stress, per se, will generally not affect your weight. It can make a difference in your eating habits, though.

I lost like crazy after my father died. First, I kept vomiting and couldn't keep anything down until I started taking anti-nausea pills. Then, I just didn't feel like eating and only swallowed the littlest bits to take pills. I just couldn't manage food. I knew it wasn't healthy, but it had bigger worries than whether or not I ate enough.

Cut yourself a break. This may not be the best time to diet. Maybe it is! Maybe that will help you or give you something else to focus on! I don't know. But don't beat yourself up over what you do or don't eat. You have enough to deal with. Whatever you do food-wise will be okay. Take it easy on yourself.

I will say a prayer for your family.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    When I say stress I mean 'parent is dying, am only support person for other parent' stress so it's genuine stress, not the kind several of you seem to think I mean. It's not stress that you an just make go away.

I didn't meant to imply that you were not under genuine stress. I'm sorry for what you are going through, I can totally relate. I was an utter mess when my dad was in a coma for a month before he passed. I didn't get any exercise or eat right or anything really at all during that time, I just sat in the NeuroICU waiting room to comfort my mom when I could. She practically lived in there, and ended up getting a blood clot from sitting for so long. She's been alone since he passed a few years ago and she's dying of renal failure now. She could have a few years since she is doing dialysis but it takes so much out of her that I still hurt for her quality of life loss. It's been so hard accepting that I'm going to lose her, especially since I have a child on the way.

That said, I would go insane if I didn't have my stress release (which for me is swimming because it's the only time I can ignore all the things I'm worried about.) There are problems in life that we just can't fix, all we can do is try and take care of ourselves. With my dad, I put my life on hold just hoping he would come out of it, but I can't put my life on hold now. I have people who depend on me.

I do hope you find an outlet, if it's not exercise (which helps a lot of us hence the abundance of exercise relieves stress posts) I hope it's something that will help you get through this. This is not a point in your life to push yourself, it's a point where you need to be kind to yourself.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm just going to say that some people are very affected by stress, and others aren't. I would look at every other variable to be very sure that you can't contribute your stall to anything else, but stress can cause water retention that masks weight loss, so it could be slowing you down. Lack of sleep screws up some people as well, so be sure that you are getting enough rest.

Just from personal experience: stress completely whacks out my body and makes me retain water like crazy. I can be doing everything perfectly, but if my stress level is cranked up to 11, my rate of loss will slow down or stop.

If you do exercise as part of your weight-loss routine (some people don't, and it's okay if you don't), your stress could be sucking your energy and decreasing your level of effort, which means you burn fewer calories when you do exercise. If your energy level is in the toilet, you're probably burning fewer calories on a daily basis anyway, so that could also be a contributing factor. Immediate stressors may not affect your energy level as much, but if you've been under stress for a long period of time, it could be impacting a lot of things in your life, which would then impact your weight.

This book is an excellent look at how stress affects the human body: Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers, by Robert M. Sapolsky.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Just from personal experience: stress completely whacks out my body and makes me retain water like crazy. I can be doing everything perfectly, but if my stress level is cranked up to 11, my rate of loss will slow down or stop.

SO this^
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Remember it is a 5kg loss you are looking at and that is generally handled by trying to lose 1/2 lb a week. When you were doing your initial weight loss there was more to lose so you could stand a 1-2lb a week loss.
    Aim for the half, celebrate when you do it, be gentle on yourself the rest of the time.
    You are in control, you are prioritising correctly - that is true control.

You are logging your food and exercise when you can and that is all you can ask of yourself.

Cheers, h.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »

I didn't meant to imply that you were not under genuine stress. I'm sorry for what you are going through, I can totally relate. I was an utter mess when my dad was in a coma for a month before he passed. I didn't get any exercise or eat right or anything really at all during that time, I just sat in the NeuroICU waiting room to comfort my mom when I could. She practically lived in there, and ended up getting a blood clot from sitting for so long. She's been alone since he passed a few years ago and she's dying of renal failure now. She could have a few years since she is doing dialysis but it takes so much out of her that I still hurt for her quality of life loss. It's been so hard accepting that I'm going to lose her, especially since I have a child on the way.

That said, I would go insane if I didn't have my stress release (which for me is swimming because it's the only time I can ignore all the things I'm worried about.) There are problems in life that we just can't fix, all we can do is try and take care of ourselves. With my dad, I put my life on hold just hoping he would come out of it, but I can't put my life on hold now. I have people who depend on me.

I do hope you find an outlet, if it's not exercise (which helps a lot of us hence the abundance of exercise relieves stress posts) I hope it's something that will help you get through this. This is not a point in your life to push yourself, it's a point where you need to be kind to yourself.

Yeah. It's 6 and a half years since he got sick and 2 and a half since we found out for sure it would take him, so it's been a long, hard slog for everyone, but I've also got a super stressful job and have been seriously ill/injured myself in that time as well as losing 30kg and trying to be there for Mum. Work can be an outlet for sure, but it's been nuts this year and I'm pretty burned out. Hoping these holidays (I get about 7-8 weeks) will help. Thanks
  • trudijoy
    Options

I didn't mean that you weren't under genuine stress. I meant that when they talk about stress, cortisol, and that stuff, they don't mean emotional stress - they are talking about an entirely different kind of traumatic stress. Emotional stress, per se, will generally not affect your weight. It can make a difference in your eating habits, though.

I lost like crazy after my father died. First, I kept vomiting and couldn't keep anything down until I started taking anti-nausea pills. Then, I just didn't feel like eating and only swallowed the littlest bits to take pills. I just couldn't manage food. I knew it wasn't healthy, but it had bigger worries than whether or not I ate enough.

Cut yourself a break. This may not be the best time to diet. Maybe it is! Maybe that will help you or give you something else to focus on! I don't know. But don't beat yourself up over what you do or don't eat. You have enough to deal with. Whatever you do food-wise will be okay. Take it easy on yourself.

I will say a prayer for your family.

Thanks x
  • trudijoy
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I'm just going to say that some people are very affected by stress, and others aren't. I would look at every other variable to be very sure that you can't contribute your stall to anything else, but stress can cause water retention that masks weight loss, so it could be slowing you down. Lack of sleep screws up some people as well, so be sure that you are getting enough rest.

If you do exercise as part of your weight-loss routine (some people don't, and it's okay if you don't), your stress could be sucking your energy and decreasing your level of effort, which means you burn fewer calories when you do exercise. If your energy level is in the toilet, you're probably burning fewer calories on a daily basis anyway, so that could also be a contributing factor. Immediate stressors may not affect your energy level as much, but if you've been under stress for a long period of time, it could be impacting a lot of things in your life, which would then impact your weight.

This book is an excellent look at how stress affects the human body: Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers, by Robert M. Sapolsky.

The water retention thing is interesting. I also have a metabolic condition (hypothyroid) which does affect digestion and water etc and is exacerbated by stress so that probably isn't helping.

Also I'm the same size and wearing the same clothes, just weighing more, so I guess that points to water etc too when I've lost muscle, not gained it huh?
  • trudijoy
    Options
    You are in control, you are prioritising correctly - that is true control.

You are logging your food and exercise when you can and that is all you can ask of yourself.

Cheers, h.

Needed to read that. Have had a checkered history with a starvation ED to feel like I'm in control and def don't want to go down that road again. You're right. I can control most of this once my heads back on - again, holidays will probably help
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Glad I could help you a little.
    Starvation isn't good, and I'm glad you recognise and own it - that is the best way not to fall into it again.
    Cheers, h.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    Glad I could help you a little.
    Starvation isn't good, and I'm glad you recognise and own it - that is the best way not to fall into it again.
    Cheers, h.

Especially when I already have a metabolic disorder and starvation causes me to retain weight! Can't win on that path :)
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Oh starving and gaining weight at the same time would suck.
    Glad that you have a positive outlook.
    Cheers, h.