Losing weight without doing any exercise at all.

allanrjudge
allanrjudge Posts: 84 Member
edited December 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
It might seem like a stupid question as seen as i'm not planning to do no exercise, but if you're in a calorie deficit without exercise, why do people exercise aswell?
Is it just for fitness and sculpting your body better?

I've been doing really well with my exercise, but since Friday I haven't done any workouts and need my mind put at rest really.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    I exercise to preserve my lean muscle as much as possible as I lose weight

To feel strong; reduce anxiety levels; keep up with my children; be fit enough to rise to challenges; to walk with a bounce in my step; sleep well and have outrageous sex

Why else?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Calorie deficit = weight loss
    Exercise = health and fitness
  • allanrjudge
    Haha Rabbit. Well there's that.

Thank you both... I just needed to know the last few days not exercising were okay.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    I lost the first 60 pounds without exercise. I agree, exercise is for fitness, unless you're trying for an outrageous calorie burn so you can eat more... or lose faster.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Some people do it just to help lose weight.

Some do it to make themselves healthier.

I do it for both reasons. :)
  • allanrjudge
    MFP said I should eat 1,350 (without exercise) but today I ate 89 more calories than what I should have done and done no exercise and lay in bed all day watching tv shows. Will that make a difference to my weight? I get quite obsessive.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    At 1350 I'm pretty sure you'd lose weight in a coma!Why so low?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited December 2014
    Preserve muscle
    Increase strength
    Increase bone density.
    Increase endurance.
    Increase body shape.
    Increase flexibility.
    Increase rate of weight loss getting me to traget faster or make it easier.
    So I can eat more.
    Decrease chances of major dieases and conditions associated with being unfit.
    Avoid being skinny fat.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited December 2014
    In order to gain a pound you would have to eat 3,500 calories over maintenance. Those 89 calories do not even put you up to maintenance. Plus missing a couple of days of exercise is not something you should ever stress out about. :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Since a half-pound deficit would be 250 off maintenance, all it'll do is have you lose a little less. However, 1350 is very low for a male, lower than what I eat. What are your stats?
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Because you will lose more, faster as it will put you into a greater deficit. It also helps kickstart your metabolism as you will have extra energy and you begin to feel better carrying around less weight.

Mark
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    999tigger wrote: »
    Preserve muscle
    Increase strength
    Increase bone density.
    Increase endurance.
    Increase body shape.
    Increase flexibility.
    Increase rate of weight loss or make it easier.
    So I can eat more.
    Decrease chances of major dieases and conditions associated with being unfit.

All of that and prevention of diabetes and certain types of cancer!

• allanrjudge
    Thanks for the comments, you've put my mind at rest.

I'm 5ft11... I weight 197lbs (from 230lbs, and at that weight MFP told me to consume 2700 cals) and I lead a very sedentary lifestyle, long story, but i'm on week 11 of P90x3. When I workout I burn around 500 cals (using a PolarHRM) and obviously log that. So I normally eat closer to 2,000 cals really.
  • allanrjudge
    Sometimes burn 300 cals, sometimes. 400. But on average I burn around 500 cals.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    Also, the best way to lose visceral fat (the fat surrounding your organs) is through exercise, not diet. So it is still important.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I exercise because swimming is my new hobby.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    I think its a personal choice. I know for me I need to exercise though. It psychologically keeps me focused and I like eating so I can eat more and still shed weight.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Also, the best way to lose visceral fat (the fat surrounding your organs) is through exercise, not diet. So it is still important.

Can you cite your sources for this statement please?
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    I exercise because strength is sexy, and I think it helps me stay motivated. I run, hike and lift. If I gain the weight back, I won't be able to reach my goal of running a marathon. If I gain the weight, then I won't be able to show off my muscles. At first, I did it because I felt like I had do, now I do it because I love the feeling of accomplishment.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    edited December 2014
    I don't want to lose lean muscle mass as I lose weight--exercise prevents loss of lean muscle mass. I don't want to get osteoporosis--exercise increases bone density. I want to be stronger, not just thinner--exercise builds strength and endurance. And it doesn't hurt that I can eat a bit more when I exercise. :)

19818185.png