Too much sodium!!

Options
I find myself eating a lot of sodium. I work 2nd shift and commute an hour and 15 minutes to my job. Therefore I find myself eating a lot of processed foods that are high in sodium. Any tips on low sodium foods to take to work and eat before work?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a *kitten*! If you buy or use processed stuff, Hello Sodium!

If you make things yourself, you'll have an easier time of it. Read and compare labels, too. It's a process. I struggle with sodium, too.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy my snacks. I keep one or more of these staples with me at all times.
    1. Fresh fruit
    2. Nuts
    3. Greek yogurt
    4. Select protein bars
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah, prepare your own ahead of time. I get snack size Ziplocs and load them up.

Home-made hummus: http://www.grouprecipes.com/35059/leahs-homemade-authentic-hummus.html I freeze portions in my mini cupcake tray and bag them up in my freezer.

Edamame seed pods.

Blanched unsalted peanuts, bagged as described above.

As you can see, I lean towards protein sources because that's what I have to work on.

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Buy a cooler and make your own food in order to control the sodium. If you decide on processed foods, keep the sodium levels within the allocated limits.
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    There are low sodium package cheeses for example, low sodium swiss cheese at the A&P and low sodium pepper jack cheese at Walmart and low sodium muenster at Shop rite. However the stock is low and often difficult to find. Star Kist makes a low sodium tuna in the can. Some SHOP Rite delis have asparagus already made. Could try the grilled chicken cutlets at the Shop Rite Deli. Near the shop rite deli, I saw a sandwich made from low sodium turkey, it might have been from the deli. Also look for 85% - 92% lean hamburger (I'm a guy I do not need to have hamburger hot off the grill every time).
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm over on sodium probably 2 days a week, but way under the other 5.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    There's no way to get away from it really, if you're eating packaged foods....even salami, lunch meat, etc....best advice would be to choose "better" options...that being said, do you have high Blood pressure or any other health problem(s).....? Because I've heard sodium isn;t necessarily "bad"....unless you're in that category.

Things to consider.....bananas, celery, cucumber, are all rich in potassium....and will help "clean up" sodium within....so if you can get those into your diet, that would be great....celery and peanut butter are GREAT, just be careful with the "partially" hydrogenated oils....trans fats.....that lurk in some peanut butter. I've read JIF is "OK" since they use fully hydrogenated oils....
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    1500 mg for Women is now the suggested amount daily. It's easy to keep under if you eat with a plan. Pre-plan your meals, try and eat low-sodium or make from scratch and warm up leftovers for work. It does taking some planning but it's absolutely possible to do!!! No sodium Trader Joe's white albacore tuna... mm mmm... so awesome, lots of healthy things out there, hopefully you'll get lots of ideas on your thread. I'd seen this topic in the past if you have time to spare you may find even more ideas in the archives. :)
  • kellymcwest
    kellymcwest Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ahoier wrote: »
    There's no way to get away from it really, if you're eating packaged foods....even salami, lunch meat, etc....best advice would be to choose "better" options...that being said, do you have high Blood pressure or any other health problem(s).....? Because I've heard sodium isn;t necessarily "bad"....unless you're in that category.

Things to consider.....bananas, celery, cucumber, are all rich in potassium....and will help "clean up" sodium within....so if you can get those into your diet, that would be great....celery and peanut butter are GREAT, just be careful with the "partially" hydrogenated oils....trans fats.....that lurk in some peanut butter. I've read JIF is "OK" since they use fully hydrogenated oils....

I am in good health. No issues to worry about. No high blood pressure or diabetes. Thanks for the tips
  • kellymcwest
    kellymcwest Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bocch wrote: »
    There are low sodium package cheeses for example, low sodium swiss cheese at the A&P and low sodium pepper jack cheese at Walmart and low sodium muenster at Shop rite. However the stock is low and often difficult to find. Star Kist makes a low sodium tuna in the can. Some SHOP Rite delis have asparagus already made. Could try the grilled chicken cutlets at the Shop Rite Deli. Near the shop rite deli, I saw a sandwich made from low sodium turkey, it might have been from the deli. Also look for 85% - 92% lean hamburger (I'm a guy I do not need to have hamburger hot off the grill every time).

Shop Rite? Never heard of them. I hate tuna. I appreciate the suggestions on the other foods.
  • PasTypique
    PasTypique Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes...very low in sodium and high in potassium. Wendy's has the sour cream & chives baked potato that only has 50mg of sodium. Kettle brand potato chips come in a no added salt variety (5mg sodium). If you don't want to cook your meat, go to Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc., and get fully cooked plain chicken breasts (no breading, no marinade, etc.). For snacks, the Kashi GoLean products tend to have low sodium.

Read up about the "sodium-potassium pump" phenomenon. Then purchase a canister of No Salt (100% potassium chloride). Get a glass of water ready and dump a serving (1/4 teaspoon) as far back on your tongue as possible and then drink. You'll barely notice it and you will be able to meet the daily potassium intake suggestion.
  • Kalikel
    edited December 2014
    Options
    PasTypique wrote: »
    Read up about the "sodium-potassium pump" phenomenon.
    It's not really a phenomenon. It's just is what it is.

Understanding cell polarization is not really necessary to lose weight. No knowledge is ever wasted! :) I wouldn't recommend it as a diet or weight loss helper, though.
  • PasTypique
    PasTypique Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I wasn't recommeding it as a weight loss helper. The OP asked about lowering sodium and I have found that I feel less bloated and have lower blood pressure readings by increasing my potassium intake after consuming a high amount of sodium. That in itself is a phenomenon to me!
  • Kalikel
    Options
    PasTypique wrote: »
    I wasn't recommeding it as a weight loss helper. The OP asked about lowering sodium and I have found that I feel less bloated and have lower blood pressure readings by increasing my potassium intake after consuming a high amount of sodium. That in itself is a phenomenon to me!

Fair enough! :)
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Make yourself big batches of good food ahead of time and freeze them - having good food to eat is the better part of the battle for me
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    hamoncan wrote: »
    Make yourself big batches of good food ahead of time and freeze them - having good food to eat is the better part of the battle for me

What exactly is good food?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I think good food is food with lots of sodium. But that does not work for others. Some really have to watch out for sodium. I can bathe in it practically.
  • dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    homemade protein bars.
    The ones I make and eat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEft2EUTz9I
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I cannot make a big batch of pizza.

• hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

What exactly is good food?

I BBQ up huge batches of chicken breasts and freeze them individually and then find different ways to make them into meals.