Lower Fat Percentage, Exact Same Weight

Options
So, over the course of a year I have taken two quarters of a fitness class (in college!) and I have been eating somewhat better than I have in the past. I don't consume nearly as much chocolate as I used to, and I really don't eat processed foods or large portions. Anyway, my question is, if I have lost about 4.5% body fat over the year, shouldn't my weight at least be a little bit lower? I began at 28.9% or so, and today at the fitness center my body percentage was calculated to be 24.4%. My weight has been 150-160 lbs for the past several years, and my weight is the same as it was a year ago. I'm 5'6", also. Is it because I'm focusing on weight-lifting and only doing some cardio to warm up? Also, people ask if I've lost weight so I guess I LOOK lighter. Just wanted to check if this is normal, I'm sort of past looking at the scale only but it would be nice to see those numbers drop below 150. According to the BMI chart I'm borderline overweight, although I don't think that calculation takes muscle mass into consideration. I appreciate any responses! :)

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I just had my bodyfat done over the weekend and my BMI showed the same and the person administering also commented on muscle mass effecting that number. My home scale has a BF reading but I never considered it accurate, just used it as a gauge and was happy that the number was decreasing. I've been trying to lose the last ten for a couple months now and just in the last week saw a 2lb drop but over that time the way my clothes fit have changed and others have made comments that I look leaner. But I get what you are saying about the scale. It's frustrating for me not to see the the number I want on there.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Yeah it is pretty frustrating, I guess the important thing is that we're leaner, our clothes fit better, etc. Congrats on your success so far!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Lower Fat Percentage, Exact Same Weight

That's actually the ideal thing to happen while cutting. It means your muscle mass isn't going away and your body is using up its fat stores. So good job.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather lose inches than pounds. WTG!