Medically Supervised Diet

Options

Replies

• bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I can only give it a try. If I fail, I fail; not any worse off than before. I'm not planning on losing hundreds of pounds or anything like that. I am only hoping to lose about 50 pounds. I had my body fat measured at the doctor and it was something like 27%, which leaves me at a little over 200 pounds lbm including fluids and other non-fat substances. I would like to achieve this in 6-8 months if possible.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    bokaba wrote: »
    I can only give it a try. If I fail, I fail; not any worse off than before. I'm not planning on losing hundreds of pounds or anything like that. I am only hoping to lose about 50 pounds. I had my body fat measured at the doctor and it was something like 27%, which leaves me at a little over 200 pounds lbm including fluids and other non-fat substances. I would like to achieve this in 6-8 months if possible.

Why not try properly logging first instead (as in actually using the advice you've been given about logging int he past which you seem to have completely ignored each time), and thus saving yourself money while not starving yourself?

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Because weight loss has to be very fast and not require mental effort from the dieter, duh! Otherwise it never works
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why would people advise against a medically supervised diet?

Seriously?

You're not his primary physician and you've never met him

Personally I think it's a great idea HOWEVER I think when you transition from this diet to normal eating you need to weigh and log everything you consume accurately otherwise it will be another short-term fail - you still need to learn about eating within your calories, portion sizes, good choices of foods for you and how to incorporate treats and foods you love and a social life in your diet

good luck for the next 12 weeks, don't forget the transition counts too
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Why not try properly logging first instead (as in actually using the advice you've been given about logging int he past which you seem to have completely ignored each time), and thus saving yourself money while not starving yourself?
    People have the right to try and fail in their own way. In this case, this user will need a little more exploration of what does and does not work.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You've posted a few times about plateauing. And in each case we told you that your logging is pretty crap. So really, I don't think you need to go this route: you simply need to log properly.

1) using generic recipes (e.g. "homemade sandwich")
    2) not weighing your food or even measuring a lot of it
    3) you don't even bother eating to your allotted goal, ever. and overall your intake is inconsistent every day, so how can you know whether your goal is too high/low?
    4) The entries you use aren't even all correct. A 200 calorie homemade turkey sandwich does not have 0g of carbs.

ETA: since your first post about plateaus at least a few months ago, none of your logging habits have changed. So... you'd rather subject yourself to eating not at all enough calories and probably be starving than simply log properly and be consistent with intake and monitor progress that way?

QFT. OP, if you decide to go through with this diet, do think about your long-term plan, because you'd be accountable for your own meals and lifestyle in the future. Good luck.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

People have the right to try and fail in their own way. In this case, this user will need a little more exploration of what does and does not work.

My concern here is just that.. he really HASN'T tried all that much. He's posted here frequently asking for help but then completely ignored the given advice, which likely would have helped him figure out how to change his calorie goal and thus would have helped him lose weight.

Clearly nothing wrong with doing this 1200-diet thing in the short term, but based on OP's past I just feel like it really won't do him much good in the long-run, kwim?
  • dbmata
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

My concern here is just that.. he really HASN'T tried all that much. He's posted here frequently asking for help but then completely ignored the given advice, which likely would have helped him figure out how to change his calorie goal and thus would have helped him lose weight.

Clearly nothing wrong with doing this 1200-diet thing in the short term, but based on OP's past I just feel like it really won't do him much good in the long-run, kwim?

Lady, is he your kin?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I tried and failed and tried and failed many times before I "got it," and I still haven't "got it" all the time. If I may offer a word of advice...develop a relationship with a therapist or who specializes in eating issues or a nutritionist who understands emotional eating. Read The Beck Diet Solution and do the exercises in the workbook. Otherwise, when you get off this medically supervised diet you won't have the mental and emotional tools to change your eating behavior on your own and you'll go back to your old ways. You seriously don't want to do that -- it's demoralizing, not to mention the toll it will take on your body. Work on your head while the medically supervised diet works on your body.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I tried and failed and tried and failed many times before I "got it," and I still haven't "got it" all the time. If I may offer a word of advice...develop a relationship with a therapist or who specializes in eating issues or a nutritionist who understands emotional eating. Read The Beck Diet Solution and do the exercises in the workbook. Otherwise, when you get off this medically supervised diet you won't have the mental and emotional tools to change your eating behavior on your own and you'll back to your old ways. You seriously don't want to do that -- it's demoralizing, not to mention the toll it will take on your body. Work on your head while the medically supervised diet works on your body.

^ Yes.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am on a similar diet, albeit at 1300 calories/day. I have lost 40 pounds in 3 months. In the next few weeks, I will be transitioning off it to a more traditional calorie deficit plan (I,.e., drop the meal replacements and eat at about 1800 calories). It was the right decision for me. I understand the theoretical objections to meal replacement plans (are you going to eat that way for the rest of your life?; etc.), but for me, it taught me that I can function quite well at 1300 well-chosen calories and gave me tremendous positive reinforcement. After 1300 calories, 1800 disciplined calories should be easy and I am content to slow down my rate of loss, as I've still got a way to go.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You've posted a few times about plateauing. And in each case we told you that your logging is pretty crap. So really, I don't think you need to go this route: you simply need to log properly.

Sorry hadnt realised hes been on before. I wasnt looking closely enough at his diary, but there was a mismatch of logging 2000 calories, when his maintenance is 3000 and not losing. Yep his logging is rybbish or he just isnt logging everything. It would be better if he just did it the normal way, but whats coming across is that he is incapable of logging accurately, hence I dont think the supervised diet is a bad thing. makes me concerned what he might do after the diet and returns to real life though.

As everyone points out then its very probable that he will just pile it straight back on as soon as he comes off the diet and the advice as to get some therapy to change his mindset is good.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    A - I'd find doctors who are more concerned about your health and are interested in helping you find a way to lose weight.

B - The problem with any "diet" is when you stop dieting! If you decide to go through with this then you need to start setting yourself up for making correct food choices once you stop eating the bars and shakes and such. A true lifestyle change is the only way to be happy and have long-lasting results for the majority of people.

C - If you are going to follow a physician's diet then I would listen to just the physician, avoid posting on online forums with self-proclaimed fitness and nutrition gurus ;) (refer to A)/

Best of luck to you!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

It might behoove you to get rid of "If I fail" from your mindset. Sure, diet is mostly cutting back on calories and sticking to it, but attitude and mindset and pure willpower is a whole lot of the battle as well.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Not getting why you think the Dr isnt concerned about him losing weight? I get the feeling the Dr is concerned about his weight but also listens to the OP at his lack of success. The weaker link in the weight loss plan is the inability of the OP to control his calories. Makes it a really importnat suggestion what 0somuchbetter0 said about making use of the therapist. We can all see the battle will just be beginning when hes off the diet and has to make his own way.
  • dbmata
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    As everyone points out then its very probable that he will just pile it straight back on as soon as he comes off the diet and the advice as to get some therapy to change his mindset is good.
    After having lost a significant amount of lean body mass, compounding the magnitude of the problem.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I agree with ana3067. I have seen his posts also and his diary.

OP you need to fix your loggings first otherwise with this low diet plan, you will more then likely fail.

Good luck on whatever choice you make.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Behavior modification ... that's what everyone is talking about when they caution you to have a plan for when you come off the 8-week supervised diet.

good luck, I hope it does the trick for you ... 8 weeks is not very long, but it may be the most advantageous amount of time at the low calories, with a break of more moderate cut in between for a period of time and then another go-round.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I've been under the supervision of a nutritionist for the past year. I wish I could continue but they are changing my insurance and it will no longer be covered. I think medical supervision is good so they can teach you sound habits to practice and get them learned so you can keep them up on your own later.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Oh... if yr hypoglycemic like me, get some glucose tabs and keep them on you. When you feel that shaky feeling coming on, eat 2 tabs.