Resisting your favorite snack

Options
jenny93
jenny93 Posts: 8
edited December 2014 in Motivation and Support
OK ladies and gentlemen i need your help. I am addicted to flamin hot cheetos and i need your help. How were you guys able to cut out your favorite unhealthy snack. How often do you eat it now?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it, don't drink it
    Mine was fizzy pop and amber ale.
    Did a cold switch the same day to fizzy water and light beer.
    I now think fizzy pop just tastes of sugar and rarely have it. Save my amber ale for vacations.
    It was incredibly easy amazingly enough.
    Cheers, h
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut anything out. If you like it, eat it and make sure it's within your calories allowance for the day.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    It's hard. I don't buy my trigger foods unless it's a special occasion. For me, it's sweets: ice cream, cookies, chocolate. If it's around, I will eventually give in. I do allow myself to have it every once in a while though. I'll buy a single serving of chocolate (not a whole bag), or I'll get an ice cream at the shop (but not have a half gallon in the freezer). If you try to eliminate your favorite treats from you diet completely you'll end up feeling deprived and will likely end up binging. Besides, what's the fun in giving up everything you love to eat? Everything in moderation, but if you have trouble with self control, then control your environment!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Fearless leader 104,
    Good point.
    I agree with what you said in the above post. My love is carbonated liquids so I changed the liquid to something within my calorie goal without losing the carbonation - 2 cans of fizzy pop and a pint of amber ale took over 1/3 of my calories so the change was good for me.
    Cheers, h.
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I had a nasty soda obsession and quit around this time last year. I can eat my favorite snacks/treats (chocolate) in moderation now, but I can't keep chips in the house cause apparently any self control I have flies out the window when I get that salty craving. So I just don't buy them anymore. =/
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Stop buying them. My thing was Hershey Kisses, eating an entire bag in 3 or 4 days. I went from January to March without them, and when I ate a couple then they were horrible. Now if I need a chocolate fix, I go for a couple Ghirardelli squares at 120 calories.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    i agree with the comments above...stop buying them. It's a lot easier to quit when the temptation is there in front of you.

My problem was chips. I could blow through a big bag of Doritos in a night. On the rare occasion i get them now, i get the package of small single serve bags. i don't know if that's an option with Flamin Hot Cheetos though.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    For me, it's Flamin' Hot Fries. They don't sell them every where, so for a long time it wasn't an issue. Then, they got them here in the cafeteria... and they are 500+ calories a bag, and I can easily a bag in a sitting.

I could actually eat more in a sitting... but anyway.

Here's what I have done. I bought a bag, and put it in my desk. That way I know I have them if I want them. It's like an "in case of emergency, break glass" situation. Then I had to find a replacement food. For me, that was the Flamin' Hot Funyuns. Still crunchy, still hot, but at more than 1/2 the calories per bag (220).

So that makes it easier to fit into my calories for the day. And, I still have my Hot Fries...in case of an emergency.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i changed what my fave snack was.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    i changed what my fave snack was.

Basically this. Find an alternative.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it. Try not to even walk past it in the store, so you don't see it. Some people can do this "just eat a little" thing but not everyone works like that. For me and many others, it's necessary to just give it up entirely. I have to remind myself "If I eat this, I will binge. If I binge, I will get fat again and look like a manatee." I need to look hot and not like a manatee lol so there you go, it's avoidance and priorities.