Athlean X anyone? Ladies, especially?

Options
So I'm considering ditching my gym membership and getting into Athlean X instead. There's a few reasons for this:

I really enjoy the gym, but it's across town, and the most convenient time for me to go is late at night after work...so if I'm too tired or work runs late, it sometimes doesn't get done.

My beloved does Athlean X and I've participated in some of his workouts, which we both enjoy...but more importantly, they kicked my butt to a degree that my NROLFW and StrongLifts and StrongCurves have not. My goal is not just to slim down a little (10-15 lbs) but also to build a good bit of muscle. I've seen better results in certain areas, like biceps, triceps and abs, with the few Athlean X workouts than I've seen with months of the other programs.

Also...it's a single investment of $67 instead of $30 per month. It will pay for itself in the 90 days it takes to complete, with money left over to get a Swiss ball and step (the only needed equipment I don't already have.)

Have any of you tried Athlean X? Particularly women? The creator also has a women's program called Athlean XX but I'm not sure I'm interested in a program geared toward women, when my goals seem to be more similar to the Athlean X structure than the "slimming down, long lean muscle" women's program. It also seems to be all videos, which I believe will mean less variety. The main program switches up the exercises, which will keep me from getting bored (that's a major problem for me.)

So if you've tried it, or know someone who has, what were the results?

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I would be interested in seeing any responses as well. I have been considering it for a while but I have at least two more cycles of 531 before I would want to switch my program.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    My boyfriend loves it and he has a pretty awesome physique, and so far, with the 3 or 4 sessions I've done with him, I'm really impressed by how hard you work in 30-40 minutes. I end up extremely sore, despite the fact that I do NROLFW.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    First day of Athlean X down. My arms and shoulders feel as though they are going to fall right off. Also, I'm staaaaaarving!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    First day of Athlean X down. My arms and shoulders feel as though they are going to fall right off. Also, I'm staaaaaarving!

Sounds like is working!
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    I have seen some of Jeff's videos on youtube. But I prefer old school lifting over any other program.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I have seen some of Jeff's videos on youtube. But I prefer old school lifting over any other program.

He seems to have a pretty good handle on what he's talking about.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Definitely, but he has geared the program toward athletic training so if you goal is strength training or bodybuilding it's not the best. Just depends on the goals you have in mind.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

Definitely, but he has geared the program toward athletic training so if you goal is strength training or bodybuilding it's not the best. Just depends on the goals you have in mind.

It's a muscle building program. The first part does concentrate on athleticism to build up the endurance to complete the second part.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

It's a muscle building program. The first part does concentrate on athleticism to build up the endurance to complete the second part.

The second part is to kick your butt. ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So- here's the thing those videos tend to be very cardio/interval based.
    - And usually time based- which means you wind up capable of doing MORE in less time.

the strength isn't there. You only get but so strong- then you just get better at doing the workouts.

So- yes- they kick your *kitten* in a whole new way- that's the point- also the point is that people LIKE to feel like that. Weight lifting doesn't make you sweat the same- doesn't leave you breathless- doesn't leave you immobilized usually.

So- I would pick the workout plan based on your GOALS- rather than how it makes you feel.

I've done both- I DO miss the high and over all satisfaction of HIIT training- I miss it a lot- but it doesn't get me to my end game- which is to be substantially stronger than I am now. So I do HIIT occasionally at home- or when I need to- but it's not my primary mover in terms of my training- it's just not got what I need long term.

If you're looking for over all fitness and wellness- that will serve you just as well as lifting will.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    - And usually time based- which means you wind up capable of doing MORE in less time.

the strength isn't there. You only get but so strong- then you just get better at doing the workouts.

So- yes- they kick your *kitten* in a whole new way- that's the point- also the point is that people LIKE to feel like that. Weight lifting doesn't make you sweat the same- doesn't leave you breathless- doesn't leave you immobilized usually.

So- I would pick the workout plan based on your GOALS- rather than how it makes you feel.

I've done both- I DO miss the high and over all satisfaction of HIIT training- I miss it a lot- but it doesn't get me to my end game- which is to be substantially stronger than I am now. So I do HIIT occasionally at home- or when I need to- but it's not my primary mover in terms of my training- it's just not got what I need long term.

If you're looking for over all fitness and wellness- that will serve you just as well as lifting will.

The program isn't videos. It's a series of exercises, and while there can be a cardio aspect to them because some are done fast, they are weight training moves. With weights. I'm not sure what you're looking at to get a different idea, but it's not the Athlean X program. It might be some supplemental material that goes with it.
  • holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    What everyone is saying is that the exercises aren't true strength building exercises nor are they true bodybuilding exercises. It is designed to give you a certain physique. If that is what you are after (realistically most people are) then its a good program. From what I can tell similar to P90x3. Judging by the fact that you say you were extremely fatigued afterwards it probably focuses a lot on hypertrophy training.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    But they're still not video, cardio, interval, or time based so I think some of the previous posters may be looking at the wrong thing.

My arms/shoulders have never hurt like this with NROLFW.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I just looked at it and I agree with all of the above ^

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    But they're still not video, cardio, interval, or time based so I think some of the previous posters may be looking at the wrong thing.

Pain or DOMS is not a good indicator of a "good" workout.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options

We aren't saying it doesn't promote strength but that it is not strength specific. AltheanX, as the name implies, is about getting ripped and "training like an athlete". This certainly involves improving your strength but it is not like a powerlifting program that is designed only to increase how much you can lift and doesn't care if you are ready for the beach or if your deep core is well trained.

Generally, I am very interested in it and would like to hear more of your experience but I'm not looking at it in the same way I would be looking at my powerlifting program or Olympic lifting program. To me, it would be more about functional strength and core development.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    edited December 2014
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

I just looked at it and I agree with all of the above ^

But again, they're still not video, cardio, interval, or time based so I'm not sure what it is you are looking at.

The program states that it is for building muscle and getting "ripped" (ie. reducing bodyfat.) The testimonials support this. My boyfriend who has experience in this program and is doing it with me also supports it. But that still doesn't make it video, cardio, interval or time based. Every person who based their assessment on that is looking at the wrong thing.

Perhaps you guys are looking at the Athlean XX women's program? It is a series of videos, and does appear to be cardio-based, and isn't what I'm doing, as stated in my OP.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    So I just finished the Athlean X 400 challenge: 100 each of sit ups, push ups, inverted rows, and squats. You're supposed to time yourself and do them as fast as you can, in any order (so you can do 100 squats, then move on to the next thing, or you can alternate 20 each, which is what I did.)

It took me 27 minutes, and I had to do girly knee push ups, but I'm very proud of myself for finishing. (Of course, I nearly vomited afterward, but still.) I've never been remotely athletic, and although I used to have a nicer figure and a flat stomach, I was still never lean or muscular. I'm really happy with the progress I'm making with this program. We even took a week of for the holidays, and I'm still seeing my body change, and loving how much more I can do than when I started. I can even do 7 real push ups!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    none of that has to do with getting ripped.

getting ripped ultimately will be an inclusion of a calorie deficit to cause you to lose body fat.

If you ate in surplus while doing the program you wouldn't get ripped. period.

Secondly- any program that has you doing 100 of anything is cardio.

edit- not that it's a bad thing- but on the scale of
    strength. -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.cardio

it leans all the way on this side over here where cardio happens.^