I just keep gaining weight! Help!

2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Hello :)
    I'm 21 years old and am 5 ft 4. I weigh 116 lbs as of today but this has gone up 10 lbs in 3 months! I have recently (2 months ago) moved back to university and have managed to develop a rice cake bing eating addiction so that can probably be accounted for it. But I've stopped them now and I'm still gaining weight! I run between 12 to 15km 5 times a week but my stomach is just looking bigger than ever.

Help!

I know you're young, and no offense intended, any chance of pregnancy?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited December 2014
    MKEgal wrote: »
    hstammen85 wrote:
    I am a personal trainer and a certified sports nutritionist.
    ... the advice of you being on a 1200 kcal diet is absurd. At no point should you or anyone for that matter who is trying to maintain a healthy metabolism need to be on such low calories.
    I have people on my friends list who are at or below 5' tall, and for them 800-1000 cal/day is perfectly healthy & reasonable.
    I'm close to 5'10" and my weight loss doc suggested I go down to 1300 cal/day. My current goal is 1400, and I try not to eat back any exercise calories. (Doesn't always work out that way, but I'm still losing weight.) She's quite happy with my health & metabolism.
    800-1000 calories is not healthy, and should only be done under a doctor's supervision for obese people.
    look at your macro nutrient breakdown to fine tune everything (carbohydrates, proteins, fats)... It's ok to have 40-60% of your diet be carbs. What I am also noticing is that you have an extremely low protein diet. Protein helps with a few things - keeps you full longer, helps with tissue repair, and it also takes more energy to turn protein into energy which means that if you put a little more in your diet you can increase your thermic effect on food.
    Here's a table which explains the healthy ranges for macros.
    page 1, carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    page 2, fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    page 4, protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

So for someone with a calorie goal of 1800 per day, that would be
    50% carbs, 900 cal, 225 g
    25% fat, 450 cal, 50g
    25% protein, 450 cal, 113 g
    (just to take the simplest example as a starting point; adjust for your own needs, to see where you feel best)
    Macros have nothing to do with weight loss, they are for satiety and health. Calories in/calories out for weight loss.