One day I'm going to bite my tongue clean off

Options

Replies

• SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, I was just thinking about this as my friend is doing HMR (a second time after gaining all the weight back +) because she says she doesn't want to have to think about it. I know it works for some and I wish her all the best but logging doesn't even register anymore, I just do it...and can eat whatever I want not just shakes and very small uninspired looking boxed meals. I am having a hard time biting my tongue about what happens after the transition back to real food, I imagine some thought will have to come into it then :confused: But I will be good friend and not say anything!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I know it can get frustrating but........... how many of us were there ourselves in our own lives at some point? :blush:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    <and now I'm wondering how much a head weighs :blush:>

I thought it was "10 pounds of ugly fat"? :D At least it was when I was growing up...

So when it falls off, I'll be at my goal weight :cool: :grinning:
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The average head weighs 8 lbs I think. But that's probably wrong.

• MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

I thought it was "10 pounds of ugly fat"? :D At least it was when I was growing up...

So when it falls off, I'll be at my goal weight :cool: :grinning:

LOL!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me if its just something they're trying. I wish them well.
    But when they start to argue about how its better, or how what I'm doing doesn't work, then the tongue starts to tingle.
    Home for the holidays recently and my sister- obese and diabetic- was carrying on about how easy weight loss is for me because I don't have a thyroid issue like she does. If she wasn't cramming three large slices of pizza dipped into ranch dressing into her mouth, I may have had more sympathy.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    If they ask my opinion I give it. If not, I give it anyway, but in a "kinder, gentler" way, like by telling them what's working for me.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I just smile and nod. I smile more a few months later when they gained that weight back plus some!!! But yeah....I just lead by example. If people ask, I tell them what I'm doing, but I don't waste my breath anymore. Most people aren't looking for a true lifestyle change with lasting results. My PT told me early on that the "easier the weight comes off the easier it is to put back on". Thankfully for some reason I believed him and kept my head down. 2.5 years later I'm down 40 pounds and fit. There's not going back for me :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    lol I got flagged, guess some people are easily offended.

Of course. Has to be someone else's fault, couldn't possibly have been something you did.

:drinker:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I listen. I'm honestly interested in how things work out for people and their feelings about it. Sometimes it is funny, too, the crazy stuff people will try. I've heard that hanging upside-down is back in vogue to stop wrinkles. :)

I've learned a lot from people who ask how I am doing it, then make suggestions. I always credit Synthroid first and then say I changed my diet and exercised, but that I've struggled with both. People have made so many awesome suggestions that helped. Some I dismiss, but I've learned a lot.

I enjoy trying new things, even when I know they won't work. If it can't hurt me and doesn't detract from the backbone of my personal weight loss stuff, I'll try it. Keeps things interesting and fun. :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Say "how's that workin' for ya?"
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Same way I deal with friends who talk about astrology or religion...smile and nod and then just give 'em a blank stare until someone changes the topic.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    How do you deal with friends and colleagues telling you their latest weight-loss gimmick, fad, fool-proof way to lose x pounds in x days that they've just embarked upon without screaming 'it's just about calories' at them?

You deal with it by booking an appointment with a therapist to explore your need to tell people what they should be doing.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    How do you deal with friends and colleagues telling you their latest weight-loss gimmick, fad, fool-proof way to lose x pounds in x days that they've just embarked upon without screaming 'it's just about calories' at them?

You deal with it by booking an appointment with a therapist to explore your need to tell people what they should be doing.

But that's what I'm employed to do :grinning:
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

But that's what I'm employed to do :grinning:

:smiley:

Then you're hooped! :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    The only time I've said anything is when someone kept badgering me to buy the 21 Day Fix through her. I mean, I'd lost 59 pounds. She'd lost 3. I think I've got this down without any "fix".

But if people just mention they are trying something I don't think will work, I wish them luck.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options

All diet books tell you that you won’t have to restrict calories, and then trick you into doing it anyway.

All of the rules, the food combining, the elimination of carbs, the elimination of fat, don’t eat XXX at all (where XXX is something that contributes a lot of calories to the diet), don’t eat YYY after 6pm (where YYY is something people tend to overeat in the evenings), etc. are all just ways of tricking people into eating less without having to think about it.

Source: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/all-diets-work-the-importance-of-calories.html/

This is basically what I bring up if I ever hear of a gimmick from a friend that I know will be open to hearing there's no magic process. Usually it takes the form of a head nod with hands pensively resting on the desk and a statement that starts with "It makes sense that could work. After all, the big thing for most of us is to make sure you don't eat too many calories and that approach would achieve that end because ______________"

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I'll listen to it, but probably roll my eyes and think to myself "here we go again!" I will give my advice if asked, but will not say anything if not asked. Whatever works for them and all the best to them.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I will just listen and wish luck, like others have said. I am not going to get annoyed by it unless it is affecting me personally or like others said someone gets angry at me because their methods are not working. It is kind of like the gym rants on here sometimes, when people are annoyed or upset that someone else is working out in jeans or wearing make-up. Those types of things do not affect me, I just might think it is silly and go about my business.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Same way I deal with friends who talk about astrology or religion...smile and nod and then just give 'em a blank stare until someone changes the topic.

I don't remember typing this but, that's exactly what I would have said. :)