Cauliflower price?

Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Out of curiosity, how much do those go for in your little neck of the woods? I went to the store two days ago to get some, and they were asking $3.99 for a small.

Wth?

Replies

• cecesquats
    cecesquats Posts: 166 Member
    That's about how much they are here and it's ridiculous. The amount of florets you get from one cauliflower isn't worth it to me and I switched to frozen.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    It ranges from 2-7$ here depending on if it's imported or not.
  • About 50p - £1 at my local greengrocers, but we have very cheap fruits and veggies in the UK. How on earth can you be charged so much for a simple, common vegetable?
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Healthy foods can be sold at a premium price, it's sad.

I have no idea how much fresh cauliflower is at my grocery store, it's outrageous after september. We can only buy fresh in the summer at a local market. Right now i pay $2 for a bag of frozen, i think it's a 1 lb size. I can't wait until summer rolls back around so i can get a ton of it and can it. I love love love picked cauliflower.

Right now i am really looking forward to St Patricks Day sale price on cabbage. I always get it for 16 to 20 cents per pound and usually buy about 4 giant heads (or more) to make Amish Cole Slaw.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    With the drought in California (and the price of diesel fuel still high), a lot of produce is more expensive than normal. I used to get cauliflower for two dollars a head; now it's $4-5.
  • CoriannMichelle
    CoriannMichelle Posts: 8 Member
    Its about close to $3 or $4 for one head of cauliflower. I am very disappointed in that because I find that I enjoy cauliflower more than broccoli and it also fills me up better than broccoli does.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    $2.99
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    $3.99 is average in my area, though it's for any sized head. Even on sale I've never seen it below $2.99.
  • Francl27
    Well sheesh. I found some at $1 a few weeks back and bought 3! Should check that place again...
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Just bought a medium sized head of cauliflower for $1.99
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    edited December 2014
    .900 Tunisian dinar per kilo... That translates to 22 cents a pound. I didn't buy any because they were TOO EXPENSIVE (compared to other items) I did however come home with clementines at 16 cents a pound.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    I think COSTCO has the best price for their bagged florets - because there is no waste or leaves, just florets.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    I think I pay about $3.50 for mine, which is the organic kind. it started out at $3, but they've wiggled the price up on me.
  • consideritdonemi
    consideritdonemi Posts: 88 Member
    $3 a head Metro Detroit area.
  • Francl27
    I found some at $3 today so I got one... a big one too. I need to start keeping a list of what stores have good prices on stuff, but what a drag...
  • They usually go for around 99 cents a pound here... so I get a head for about two bucks.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Thanks to the CA drought, the organic, locally grown ones at the farmers' market are about the same price as the conventionally raised ones that traveled across the country to get to me. $2.50/lb, I think, maybe a bit more.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,780 Member
    I pay 4.98 for a 2lb bag of florets from Sam's Club.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    I think fresh it's under $2-$2.50 here. I've never seen it much more expensive than our whole broccoli or pre-cut broccoli crowns.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    1.99 for medium sized head last week in az
  • Most stores here have them for 2.99, but they're 1.29 every day at Aldi.
  • katherinemab
    katherinemab Posts: 57 Member
    $4 in NYC Metro area. I use a lot of frozen veggies! Easy to stock up on when on sale
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Markets. The price varies. I did get 3 small ones/ 2 medium for £1 the other day. I would say supermarket ones here would be about $1-$1.50.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Do you have any ethnic markets around you? I find produce to be at least half the price in Mexican, Middle Eastern, and Asian markets than at the local Kroger.... there is always a few kinds of vegetables on sale. I don't think I've ever made more than over a $1 per lb for cauliflower, usually much less.

• Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    I just went grocery shopping last night and non-organic was $3.49. They were a very good size though.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Why do cauliflowers seem to be imported? It seems to be much more expensive in the USA.
  • dwambold
    dwambold Posts: 5 Member
    $7 for one small head. You can usually get them cheaper than that if you're willing to shop around though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Bloody hell .. I'm shocked

My cauliflower was £1 which is about $1.57, and that's from Waitrose (posh supermarket)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I found some at $3 today so I got one... a big one too. I need to start keeping a list of what stores have good prices on stuff, but what a drag...

If you have room, it's pretty easy to grow. It likes cooler weather.
  • Francl27
    I will have to look into it for next year for sure. We've been growing veggies not those.