Running in the winter/dark

Options

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm a large male that looks like a sumbitch so I don't get the safety insecurities that the ladies do, but I understand that's a big hang-up. Lit, unlit, I don't care. I just go out with the headlamp and dress appropriately for the weather. Night trail running in the cold has become one of my favorite things though.

My only suggestion is to get to know the area and your path really well in the daylight. Then get to know it really well in the dark by car. That way you know what's supposed to be there and what isn't, and just be very cognizant of what's going on around you when you're out at night.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    beth0277 wrote: »
    The school track is a good idea! I hadn't thought of that.

I'm not looking for a miracle solution for daylight, just wondering what other people do that works for them. :smile:

Some high schools will allow you to use their track for free as long as school activities aren't going on. Worth making a call to a local school.
    However, I think I'd rather run on a treadmill than around a track.

Either get over it and run in the dark solo with headlight and reflective gear and no headphones or get a dog as a running partner.

our track is open all the time as long as there isn't a school event... but the nice thing about tracks is it usually has a field- field means you can do different kinds of sprints (I do a big X on the field- sprint corner to corner- jog across the top- sprint corner to corner- walk to starting point- repeat- do 5 of those and you're set.

Also tracks often have stairs- running stairs is a win.

But no way I'd do track running if I was doing longer distances- I had to run 1.5 miles on an indoor track for the Army PT test- I thought I was going to die- b/c that track is shorter than a standard 1/4 mile and is sloped. my knees were killing me. (might have been the Marine one though- which is worse at 3 miles- I honestly don't remember- I try to block such trauma's from my brain)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I run after dark, but I wear a reflective jacket, stick to well lit residential streets that I know, and always tell someone when I'm leaving and when I intend to return by. I always take my phone because I use Runkeeper, but would take it on night runs anyway so I can call someone if I trip or injure myself which is more likely in the dark. Be careful if wearing heaphones that you can still hear what's going on around you as obviously your vision will be compromised. Some days I will use the treadmill at the gym because I want to run for longer without having to do loops round the same neighbourhood which is mind-numbingly dull.

Obviously you want to be safe and responsible, but I don't think a woman running by herself in the early evening in a reasonably safe area is at any great risk. I don't want to miss out on my runs. In the winter it helps keep me warm, and I'm permanently chilly October-April!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I run in the dark, I take my gun, my mace, my phone, in a tight little running belt. I also use the track and the bleachers at the high school, so it's well lit and there are usually some people around (janitors, etc) I go at 5 am a few times a week. Occasionally I take my dog
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Is there a specialty running store near you? Maybe they have a running group you could go out with so you're not alone. Or they might be able to match you up with another runner who is looking for a running partner.

I really don't like running on the treadmill, either, so I'm doing all I can to keep running outside for as long as possible...

We live in a little bit rural area without sidewalks... normally when I can get out during nice weather during daylight hours I will run on the roads, but with fading light and a bush-league snow plowing effort, that is out for me now. Yesterday I drove over to a part of town that has sidewalks and streetlights and ran a loop there in the evening (still wearing my fluorescent vest and flasher). I've considered going to the high school to get a few laps in on the track there. We have a prep school campus in town, and that's well-lit and pedestrian friendly, so I'll probably run there sometimes, too. I'm not terribly worried about the safety of running alone, but I do try to mix up my routes so they're not predictable in case someone is watching. I am also considering buying some running snowshoes so that I can head off on some of the local XC trails for a change-up that keeps me running in some capacity.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I don't mind going out at dark – my partner worries about it more than I do! I live in a pretty safe, fairly well-lit neighborhood, though. I (probably foolishly) don't wear any special stuff, lights or reflective equipment, but the streets are not very busy and I try to be very aware of what's around. I'd probably run/walk at night more if it wasn't for my partner's concerns. I belong to a gym and enjoy the treadmill as well. Good luck with whatever you do!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »
    Running in the snow is a fast way to the ER.

Source: Live in Michigan. Sprained wrist and ankle slipping on ice two years ago trying to run. Never again :( Gym membership has paid for itself in lack of medical bills the past two years.

Ouch. Yeah, you've got to be careful. Personally though, I could never use a treadmill. Tried it a number of times and it just makes me sick.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I run at night, after work. There's a major city park near my work that has well-lit lighting on the running trail. It's also always populated. You could check into what local parks are around you.

If I can't run at the park, I run in my neighborhood, using a light. I run in the street against traffic, and jump on the sidewalk if cars approach. Works well enough.
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Running in the morning would be perfect, but right now it's not light out here early enough. I just checked and the sun rose at 7:24 this morning. I could possibly take my dog with me but she is a bit of a sniffer. She will run like the wind, but gets easily distracted. Maybe I'll try it. She is a boxer and would be decent protection, or at least a deterent.

The $400 for the gym for the year wouldn't be awful other than I would only use the indoor track for maybe 4-5 months a year. It just seems like a lot if you think of $100 or so a month for the time I would be using it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Source: Live in Michigan. Sprained wrist and ankle slipping on ice two years ago trying to run. Never again :( Gym membership has paid for itself in lack of medical bills the past two years.

Operator error.

Your 1 experience shouldn't dictate what the general public does or doesn't do.
  • beth0277
    Options
    There is a running store near me that does a group run every week which I would LOVE to participate in, but I'm painfully slow and I think they run at like a 10 minute/mile pace. I'm 12 on a good day.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    they usually will have a group split- and or a start/meet point rather than you have to stay with the group.

I'd check it out anyway! you can meet new people and make friends!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »
    Running in the morning would be perfect, but right now it's not light out here early enough. I just checked and the sun rose at 7:24 this morning. I could possibly take my dog with me but she is a bit of a sniffer. She will run like the wind, but gets easily distracted. Maybe I'll try it. She is a boxer and would be decent protection, or at least a deterent.

Is that the official time posted by the new/local weather service, or is that when it was actually light enough out to run?

I believe we live in the same timezone... it's light here LOOONG before 7:24. Maybe not high-noon bright, but certainly light enough to get outside.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I run outdoors all year 'round, and running in the snow can be safe, enjoyable and rewarding when done properly (I won't run in freezing rain, I know the difference between crazy and stupid :D )
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Operator error.

Your 1 experience shouldn't dictate what the general public does or doesn't do.

QFT. I run on hardpack at our snowmobile camp. I use yaktrax and have NEVER had a problem running in snow. It's actually so peaceful and beautiful (especially if it is also snowing while I'm out), that I look forward to my weekend runs more than anything else. :)
  • beth0277
    Options
    jacksonpt - That is the time from weather.com. I would assume it would be light enough to run at 7 or so. Maybe if I went out at 6:45...I'm thinking here, I have some flexibility at work with when I come in.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Usually it's almost an hour ahead of the sun's actual appearance that the darkness is broken- not sure how long you need to be running for- but there is plenty of time pre- actual sun rise.

I'd give it a shot- there is significantly more light than you think.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Well unless you can find a running partner, there's not much you can do about the "by yourself" part. I would look for some well lit streets in your neighborhood, or maybe a school track that's lit up at night.

Probably your best bet. Many high schools clear their tracks and light them at night so their running teams can train.

If ice is a concern look at Yaxtrax (I think that is what they are called) that are essentially spikes you can clamp on to your sneakers.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I run by myself in the dark and frankly I am grateful for the snow cover because it brightens up the night. I wear one of these:
    kill-rag-illuminated-LED-flashing-wristband-572x360.png

I am halfway through a running class at the Running Room and the group runs together several times a week, in the dark.

One day last week was so freaking cold -30C with wind-chill (-22F) I used a treadmill instead. Have you tried a four degree incline? I think I learned here that the incline is the best approximation to outdoor conditions. See if the incline helps out your hip.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Asherah29 wrote: »
    It's kind of scary, especially since I run out in the country vs in a lighted town but ya gotta go what ya gotta do. Safety 1st... or 3rd... or whatever.
    Lol!

I run outside on country roads or trails all winter too... I do all my weekday runs around 4:30 in the morning. I think bad guys tend to stay up late rather than get up early, so in my mind its safer to run in the morning. Of course, being an old guy plowing along the road, I'm not exactly a target for crime. It's more likely that I will seen as prey for some creature that thinks I'm slow and wounded...