Cognac persimmon bread - Not a diet food!

Options
bradp1979
bradp1979 Posts: 154 Member
I just discovered the most amazing persimmon bread recipe, then altered it slightly. This is from a website called "backtoherroots.com," as bourbon persimmon bread. I decided to make it cognac. It makes 2 8"x4" 8-slice loaves, and comes in at 353 calories per slice, but it's oh-so-good.

Here's what you need:
-2 cups of persimmon pulp (I cut and skinned 7 medium-size persimmons, then tossed them in the blender to make the pulp. It came to exactly 2 cups.)
-4 whole eggs (probably could use just the whites, but I don't think it would make an appreciable difference.)
-2/3 cup of cognac
-1 cup of melted butter (2 whole sticks!)
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-2 cups granulated sugar
-1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
-1 tsp salt
-2 tsp baking soda
-1 1/2 cups all-purpose white flour
-2 cups whole-wheat flour
-2 cups chopped walnuts (optional. I opted not.)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In one bowl, mix together the persimmon pulp, eggs, cognac, butter, vanilla and sugar using either a stand mixer or electric beater. Make sure it's completely combined.
Then, in another bowl, sift together the other dry ingredients: the nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and the flours.
Now, add this bowl into the first in three or four parts, mixing it completely in each time before adding the next part. By the time I got to the third part, I had to put down the electric beater and use a wooden spoon to keep mixing it, as it got too thick for the beater to handle.
Next, mix in the walnuts if desired, and pour the batter equally into your two 8"x4" bread pans.
Bake at 350 for anywhere from 40 minutes to a little over an hour. The bread isn't done until the top is dark brown and it doesn't jiggle when the pans are moved.

The website says that it should be done in 35-40 minutes. Mine took an hour and 10 minutes before the bread was firm enough to not jiggle.

Let it cool at least 30 minutes before slicing, and enjoy!

Replies

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome! I moved and lost my neighbor with a big persimmon tree. When I find another source, I'll try this out!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I love persimmons! I think I will try this with many substitutions (gluten-free, no sugar, no butter).
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Oh that sounds amazing!