Most Natural Pantry Essentials

Options

Replies

• TheLittleGingerDoesWeightLoss
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    I prefer my white rice, but choose what you want for what you LIKE, both are fine in their OWN ways.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/what-white-rice-better-than-brown/

Thanks for the article. I usually opt for brown rice because I know I do not receive enough fiber in my diet at the moment, but I have never known about the role or effects of phytic acid, so this is an interesting pro for white rice.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Picking whole grain pasta more often remains a superior choice.
    It does. Very often, if it's 100% whole grains it IS the more healthful choice. All of this is best considered within the context of an entire diet (just as macros and micros are). So if something simply doesn't appeal to you, make another choice for that item. And consider your diet as a whole.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

LOL …still does not address as to why a whole grain noodle is cleaner than a regular noodle..

so people who eat whole grain noodles are superior to those that do not???? Interesting...

Among all the discussions of and misuses of the word trolling, here's an example of actual trolling.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I think wild rice is a long way head of white rice in terms of nutrition, but whether you like it or not....
    I just happened to be reading about it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Interesting twist there NDJ. I did not say the people were superior. Why would you descend to an inferior argument at this point? Is it because your argument is running out of steam?

Agreed, terms like "clean" and "natural" are bandied around quite a bit with a lot of bad science and anecdotal quackery. I don't like the trend to fastidiousness where whole food groups are declared "bad". Especially the macros like carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Bring on the carbohydrates, proteins and fats! They fuel me!

Nevertheless, the experts recommend whole grain more often. It is a superior choice. But nobody should ever be declared inferior for picking white rice or a crusty white Italian bun (my fave) over their whole grain cousins.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Depends on what is defined as natural. I think what I eat is natural and it's probably different from what you think. My basics on my shelf are basmati rice, pasta, and tuna.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I think wild rice is a long way head of white rice in terms of nutrition, but whether you like it or not....
    I just happened to be reading about it.
    Is it? It's darn tasty!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

LOL …still does not address as to why a whole grain noodle is cleaner than a regular noodle..

so people who eat whole grain noodles are superior to those that do not???? Interesting...

Among all the discussions of and misuses of the word trolling, here's an example of actual trolling.

not sure how it is trolling when I ask a question four times and never get an answer…

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited December 2014
    Options

not sure how it is trolling when I ask a question four times and never get an answer…
    I didn't say it was skilled trolling.
    And you didn't ask that "question" (which wasn't a question, btw) four times. You posted "so people who eat whole grain noodles are superior to those that do not???? Interesting..." once. pretty obvious trolling.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I forgot about chocolate. Is that natural? I know it's processed because I don't eat the bean.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I forgot about chocolate. Is that natural? I know it's processed because I don't eat the bean.

Chocolate is a great addition to a good pantry.
    edited December 2014
    Options

The three parts of a grain are the bran, the germ and the endosperm. Processing for white pasta forces out the bran and the germ leaving the white noodles nutritionally lacking versus a pasta that incorporates all three elements of the grain. Forcing out these elements deprives the pasta of fiber, b vitamins, vitamin E, etc.

There.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    By the way,

I am all good with keeping whole wheat pasta in your cupboard.
  • icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I cannot understand why some people out in the world insist on posting snarky, rude comments when they know what the OP means when they say "clean" or "healthy". I suggest ignoring those comments as they are completely unhelpful and unproductive. They can eat an entire days worth of calories in Oreos or ice cream or motor oil or glue sticks...whatever they want. Clearly the OP is asking about healthy staples other people like to keep on hand. I like to stock 100% whole wheat pastas, rice (both white and brown), onion, garlic, cans of tuna and chicken, quinoa, different types of beans and canned sweet whole kernel corn. Also experiment with different herbs and spices. Ultimately you should experiment with different types of foods and recipes and eat what you love.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hey! I didn't write that! It was NDJ!

I am all good with keeping whole wheat pasta in your cupboard.

No one said you were. :drinker" Just NDJ. Who is. Again.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    ill find you the article later after ive been to the gym. Wholegrain pasta is more nutritious as well but hardly surprising. I just read an article on that as well.
    Options
    icanplay3 wrote: »
    Clearly the OP is asking about healthy staples other people like to keep on hand. I like to stock 100% whole wheat pastas, rice (both white and brown), onion, garlic, cans of tuna and chicken, quinoa, different types of beans and canned sweet whole kernel corn. Also experiment with different herbs and spices. Ultimately you should experiment with different types of foods and recipes and eat what you love.

Thanks for actually answering the question. Greatly appreciated.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have found some whole grain flat sandwich rounds that I like. I don't think they're the healthiest, but I won't eat the healthiest whole grain breads because I don't like them.

I found exactly one whole grain pasta that I like.

Just these two things took a very long time and lots of trial and error. I bought a lot of food I didn't eat looking for some I liked...and that's difficult when you're a cheapskate like me!

Still working on whole grain rice that I like. Brown rice is easy. Whole grain...I just don't eat them. Maybe one day I'll find one I like. :)
    why are whole wheat noodles cleaner than just, noodles?

If this was asked out of genuine curiosity, it's conversation.

If it was asked so that you could pick a fight with whoever answered it, it is trolling.

Only you can really answer whether it was trolling or not because only you know why you asked.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    icanplay3 wrote: »
    I cannot understand why some people out in the world insist on posting snarky, rude comments when they know what the OP means when they say "clean" or "healthy". I suggest ignoring those comments as they are completely unhelpful and unproductive. They can eat an entire days worth of calories in Oreos or ice cream or motor oil or glue sticks...whatever they want. Clearly the OP is asking about healthy staples other people like to keep on hand. I like to stock 100% whole wheat pastas, rice (both white and brown), onion, garlic, cans of tuna and chicken, quinoa, different types of beans and canned sweet whole kernel corn. Also experiment with different herbs and spices. Ultimately you should experiment with different types of foods and recipes and eat what you love.
    quinoa is a great choice. Actually everything on this list (I don't eat a lot of white rice, but do have some around).
  • icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Thanks for actually answering the question. Greatly appreciated.
    [/quote]

You are very welcome! Have fun with it! Nutrient dense food doesn't have to be boring :smiley: